2 Thessalonians 1
We are IN God
1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy, to the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: 2 Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Colossians 3:3 For you are dead (to sin), and your life is hid with Christ in God.
- Psalm 90:1 LORD, you have been our dwelling place in all generations.
3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brothers, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all toward each other abounds.
- If you want more faith, spend more time in His word. If you want more love for other spend more time in His love.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
God considers it right to repay trouble to those who trouble us
Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels taking vengeance on those who refuse to know God
4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure: 5 which is a plain indication of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you also suffer: 6 since it is a righteous thing with God to repay tribulation to those that trouble you. 7 And God will provide rest for you who are being persecuted with us, when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those that do not know God, and that do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ
- The Lord will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels.
- He is our resting place. Any time, any place when we go to Him confessing our sins (I John 1:9), He will give us rest.
- He is coming to rule earth rightly.
- He will take vengeance on those that do not know Him because all can know Him.
- He made us in His image and sustains our life (Genesis 1:26, Acts 17:25).
- Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
- Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he will reward every man according to his works.
- Matthew 25:31-32 When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory: 32 And before him will be gathered all nations: and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats
- Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because when they knew God, they did not glorify him as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened…
He fulfills all the pleasure of His goodness
9 Who will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power; 10 when he comes to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all those that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day. 11 Therefore we always pray for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfill all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: 12 that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- God’s power is so mighty that to create all things He just spoke.
- Philippians 2:13 it is God who works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
- Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD the heavens were made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 9 For he spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
2 Thessalonians 2
The Lord will destroy the wicked one with the brightness of His coming
1 Now we urge you, brothers, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together to him, 2 that you not be quickly shaken in mind, or be troubled, by spirit, or by word, or by letter as though from us, that the day of Christ has already come. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day will not come, unless there is first a departure, and that man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition/destruction; 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he sits as God in the temple of God, displaying himself that he is God.
- God created this 'man of sin' and sustains his life and breath.
- But this person claims to be God though he didn’t create or sustain anything.
- He displays the height of the deception of pride.
- Job 12:10 (God) In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
5 Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? 6And now you know what withholds that he might be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of iniquity already works: only he who now restrains will restrain until he is taken out of the way. 8 And then that lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the spirit of his mouth, and will destroy with the brightness of his coming.
- The word ‘consume’ is chrysostome. “Just as a fire when it is approaching merely causes small insects to shrivel up and consumes them so will Christ with His word alone and His appearing consume antichrist and his followers.” (Lewis Sperry Chafer, Systematic Theology, vol. 2 p. 72).
- God has set a time and purpose for everything (Ecclesiastes 3).
- Evil must be shown for what it is—false, poison, destructive.
- It is the Holy Spirit of the living God that restrains evil on earth by His power and His presence.
- He will be removed at the rapture of the church.
- Verse 7 shows that Christ’s church will not be on earth when the anti Christ is revealed and ruling because the Holy Spirit is given to indwell the church permanently (John 14:16).
- The Holy Spirit is the ‘restrainer.’
- Matthew 24:27… as the lightning comes out of the east, and shines even unto the west; so will the coming of the Son of man be.
9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in those that perish; because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 For this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who do not believe the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
- Truth is offered to all. These refused.
- Satan’s system is good works that deny and shun their Creator and all knowledge or word of Him.
- These deluded ones lead people straight into the pit of hell (with their leader, Satan) while making them think that their good works are going to get them into heaven (Revelation20:12).
We are the Beloved of the Lord
He has chosen us
The Father loves us
13 But we ought to always give thanks to God for you, brothers, beloved of the Lord, because from the beginning God has chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 unto which he called you by our gospel, that you might gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 So then brothers, stand fast, and hold to the precepts that you have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. 16 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, who has loved us, and has given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, 17 comfort your hearts, and establish you in every good word and work.
- God, knowing all things, has chosen us because we didn’t refuse the truth that He revealed to us (John 1:9).
- 2Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory by the Spirit of the Lord.
- 1John 3:2 Beloved, now we are the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we will be: but we know that, when he appears, we will be like him; for we will see him as he is.
2 Thessalonians 3
The Lord will establish us
1 Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may spread rapidly/run, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable/out of place and wicked men: for all men do not have faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you, and keep you from evil.
- ‘keep’ means to watch, be on guard, preserve.
- Jesus is the One who has been most faithful to us. He made us—John 1:1-3, died for our sins—1 Peter 2:24, holds us in His hand—John 10:28.
4 And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you, that you both do and will do the things that we command you. 5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother that walks disorderly, and not according to the teaching that he received of us. 7 For you yourselves know how it is right to act, like us: for we did not behave ourselves disorderly among you; 8 nor did we eat any man’s food for nothing; but worked with labor and travail night and day, that we might not burden any of you: 9not because we do not have the authority, but to make ourselves an example to you to follow us. 10 For even when we were with you we commanded you this, that if any would not work, he is not to eat either.
- The fall of man came because of man lifted himself up against God in disobedience. We call it pride.
- God gave man work at that time to humble man’s heart so that man would return to the place of blessing.
- Ecclesiastes 1:13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail has God given to the sons of man to be humbled by (Strong).
He gives us peace
He is with us
11 For we hear that there are some that behave disorderly among you, not working at all, but are busybodies. 12 Now we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, those behaving in that way, that with quietness they work, and eat their own food. 13 But you, brothers, do not be weary in doing good. 14 And if any man does not obey our word by this letter, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 But do not consider him an enemy, but warn him as a brother. 16 Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all. 17 The salutation of Paul with my own hand, which is the sign in every letter: so I write. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
- If we could control everything, I mean everything…then we would have nothing to worry about, would we?
- And we know the one who does control everything (Matthew 28:18).
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, I give to you. Do not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
SUMMARY: 2 Thessalonians 1-3
- We are IN God
- He fulfills all the pleasure of His goodness
- God considers it right to repay trouble to those who trouble us
- Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels taking vengeance on those who refuse to know God
- The Lord will destroy the wicked one with the brightness of His coming
- We are the Beloved of the Lord
- He has chosen us
- The Father loves us
- The Lord will establish us
- He gives us peace
- He is with us