God humbles the proud
1 The vision of Obadiah. The Lord God says this concerning Edom; We have heard a rumor from the LORD, and an ambassador is sent among the heathen, Arise, let us rise up against her in battle. 2 Behold, I have made you small among the nations: you are greatly despised. 3 The pride of your heart has deceived you, you that dwell in the clefts of the rock, whose dwelling is high; that says in his heart, Who can bring me down to the ground? 4 Though you exalt yourself as the eagle, and though you set your nest among the stars, there I will bring you down, says the LORD.
- The name Obadiah means servant of Jehovah.
- Edom is the nation descended from Esau, Jacob’s
- They lived in Mt. Seir, south of the Dead Sea.
- Edom plundered Jerusalem four times.
- One of God’s questions to Job was, ‘Can you humble the proud of heart?’
- Nebuchadnezzar of Daniel 4 illustrates God humbling a proud king.
- Job 40:12 Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place.
5 If thieves came to you, if robbers by night, (how you are cut off!) would they not have stolen until they had enough? If the grape-gatherers came to you, would they not leave some grapes? 6 O how Esau will be ransacked! His hidden things searched out! 7 All your allies will send you to the border: the men that were at peace with you have deceived you, and prevailed against you; those that eat your bread have set an ambush for you: there is no understanding in him.
- These people did not desire to know God.
- If a man seeks God he will find Him (Matthew 7:7, Acts 17:24-28).
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
8 In that day will I not destroy the wise men out of Edom, asks the LORD, and understanding out of the mount of Esau? 9 And your mighty men, O Teman, will be dismayed, to the end that every one of the mountain of Esau may be cut off by slaughter. 10 Because of your violence against your brother Jacob shame will cover you, and you will be cut off forever. 11 In the day that you stood on the other side, in the day that the foreigners carried away captive his army, and foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots on Jerusalem, you were as one of them. 12 But you should not have gloated over your brother’s day in the day of his destruction/ estrangement; neither should you have rejoiced over the children of Judah in the day of their destruction; nor should you have spoken proudly in the day of distress.
- 1Corinthians 13:6 (love) does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth
- Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them, As I live, says the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn, turn from your evil ways; for why will you die…?
The Day of the Lord is near for all nations
He brings back upon us what we have done to others
13 You should not have entered into the gate of my people in the day of their distress; yes, you should not have looked on their affliction in the day of their destruction, nor have looted their wealth in the day of their destruction; 14 Neither should you have stood in the crossroads, to cut off their fugitives; nor should you have delivered up those of his that remained in the day of distress. 15 For the day of the LORD is near on all the nations: what you have done will be done to you: your reward will return on your own head. 16 For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so all the heathen will drink continually; yes, they will drink, they will swallow down, and they will be as though they had not been.
- The heathen are peoples that turn their backs on their Maker.
- It sounds like Edom gleefully helped God’s enemies discipline His people.
- Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatever a man sows, that is what he will reap.
- Jeremiah 2:19 Your own wickedness will correct you…
17 But on mount Zion will be deliverance, and it will be holy; and the house of Jacob will possess their possessions. 18 And the house of Jacob will be a fire, the house of Joseph a flame, the house of Esau for straw; they will kindle in them and devour them; and there will not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the LORD has spoken it.
- By 430 BC none were left.
19 And those of the south will possess the mountain of Esau; and those of the plain the Philistines: and they will possess the fields of Ephraim and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin will possess Gilead. 20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel will possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, will possess the cities of the south. 21 And saviors will come up on mount Zion to judge the mountain of Esau; and the kingdom will be the LORD’s.
- Daniel 7:27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, will be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions will serve and obey him.
- Psalm 145:13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations.
- Daniel 4:3 How great are his signs! And how mighty are his wonders! His kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion is from generation to generation.
- Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he will reign forever and ever.
- God humbles the proud
- The Day of the Lord is near for all nations
- He brings back upon us what we have done to others