1 In the second year of King Darius, in the sixth month, in the first day of the month, the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, saying, 2 The Lord of hosts speaks this, saying, This people say, The time has not come, the time for the LORD’s house to be built. 3 Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying, 4 Is it time for you, O you, to dwell in your paneled houses, and this house lies in ruins?
- The name Haggai means festive.
- How much time and money do we spend on our own homes?
- In 520 BC, eighteen years after Cyrus sent Jews back to Jerusalem to rebuild God’s temple, they haven’t laid the foundation for the house of God yet.
- The title Lord of hosts reminds the people that this is the ruler of the universe they are neglecting.
God takes pleasure in and is glorified by His house
5 Now therefore the Lord of hosts says this; Consider your ways. 6 You have sown much, and bring in little; you eat, but you do not have enough; you drink, but you are not filled with drink; you clothe yourselves, but no one is warm; and he that earns wages earns wages to put it into a bag with holes. 7 The Lord of armies says this; Consider your ways. 8 Go up to the mountain, bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, says the LORD.
- Today God dwells in the hearts of His people.
- His truth from the Bible builds His dwelling-place in our hearts.
- Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love
9 You looked for much, and, behold, it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? says the LORD of hosts. Because of my house that lays a ruin, and you run every man to his own house. 10 Therefore the heaven over you is withheld from dew, and the earth is withheld from her fruit. 11 And I called for a drought on the land, on the mountains, on the grain, on the new wine, on the oil, on what the ground brings forth, on men, on livestock, and on all the labor of the hands.
- God is life.
- It is not right or healthy for man to be centered on his own life to the exclusion of His Maker.
- John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
- Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
- Isaiah 45:21… there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside me.
12 Then Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, and Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, with all the remainder of the people, obeyed the voice of the LORD their God, and the words of Haggai the prophet, as the LORD their God had sent him, and the people feared before the LORD. 13 Then Haggai, the LORD’s messenger, spoke in LORD’s message to the people, saying, I am with you, says the LORD. 14 And the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remainder of the people; and they came and worked in the house of the LORD of hosts, their God, 15 In the 24th day of the sixth month, in the second year of Darius the king.
- If you expect much and there is little and have shortages of all things, then commit to learning of God in His word, God will bless this and fill you and your life with plenty.
- Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from those that walk uprightly.
1 In the seventh month, in the 21st day of the month, the word of the LORD came by the prophet Haggai saying, 2 Speak now to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, and to the remnant of the people, saying, 3 Who is left among you that saw this house in her first glory? And how do you see it now? Is it not nothing by comparison in your eyes? 4 Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, says the LORD; and be strong, O Joshua, son of Josedech, the high priest; and be strong, all you people of the land, says the LORD, and work: for I am with you, says the LORD of hosts.
- This temple was smaller and less opulent than the
- Lord of hosts’ reminds us who is with us—the LORD, the commander of all the heavens.
- God made all things.
- He is LORD of all.
- The One who is unsearchable greatness is with us.
- Psalm 145:3 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.
He has made a covenant with us
He will fill His house with glory
5 According to the word that I covenanted with you when you came out of Egypt, so my spirit remains among you: do not fear. 6 For the Lord of hosts says this; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, the earth, the sea, and the dry land; 7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations will come: and I will fill this house with glory, says the LORD of hosts.
- The desire of nations is the LORD.
- Ezekiel 1:26-28 describes the glory of the One who would fill the house they were building, the fiery amber gemstone form of a man, flashing forth rainbows.
All things belong to God
8 The silver is mine and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts. 9 The glory of this latter house will be greater than of the former, says the LORD of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, says the LORD of hosts.
- 3,625 pounds of gold were used in building the tabernacle.
- Over 125,000 pounds of silver was used.
- The walls inside Solomon’s temple, the one these people formerly saw, were lined with gold.
- This people rebuilding God's temple after the captivity did not have that kind of wealth to put into this temple.
- He was telling them that it’s not the gold and the silver that is important but the one who will dwell there.
- When the temple was built people would come there
and be given something far more valuable than gold and silver…a personal relationship with God Himself that lasts forever.
- Psalm 24:1 The earth is the LORD’s, and the fullness of it; the world, and those that dwell in it. 2 For he has founded it on the seas, and established it on the floods.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid.
10 In the 24th day of the ninth month, in the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came by Haggai the prophet, saying, 11 The Lord of hosts says this; Now ask the priests concerning the law, saying, 12 If one carries holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt touches bread, or boiled food, or wine, or oil, or any food, will it be holy? And the priests answered and said, No. 13 Then Haggai said, If one that is unclean by a dead body touch any of these, will it be unclean? And the priests answered and said, It will be unclean. 14 Then Haggai answered Haggai, and said, So is this people, and so is this nation before me, says the LORD; and so is every work of their hands; and that which they offer there is unclean.
- 1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- John 15:3 Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
15 And now, I ask you, consider from this day and onward, from before a stone was laid on a stone in the temple of the LORD: 16 Since those days, when one came to a heap of twenty measures, there were only ten: when one came to the wine vat to draw out fifty measures out of the press, there were only twenty. 17 I struck you with blasting and mildew and hail in all the labors of your hands; yet you did not turn to me, says the LORD. 18 Consider from this day onward, from the 24th day of the ninth month, from the day that the foundation of the LORD’s temple was laid, consider. 19 Is the seed still in the barn? Yes, like the vine, the fig tree, the pomegranate, and the olive tree, have not brought forth: from this day I will bless you.
- Proverbs 10:22 The blessing of the LORD, it makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.
The LORD will overthrow the throne of kingdoms
He will destroy the strength of those who turn against Him
He will set His appointed leader on His throne
20 And again the word of the LORD came to Haggai in the 24th day of the month, saying, 21 Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake the heavens and the earth; 22 And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; the horses and their riders will come down, every one by the sword of his brother. 23 In that day, says the LORD of hosts, I will take you, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, says the LORD, and will make you as a signet: for I have chosen you, says the LORD of hosts.
- The signet was the ring that had the king’s seal on it.
- The king pressed it into the sealing wax as his signature.
- This is the Lord’s power of attorney.
- God gave it to Zerubbabel.
- He has given it to His people today and He will give it to His people in the future.
- John 16:23 And in that day you will ask me nothing. Truly, truly, I say to you, Whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
- Daniel 7:22 Until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
SUMMARY: Haggai 1-2
- God takes pleasure in and is glorified by His house
- He has made a covenant with us
- He will fill His house with glory
- The LORD will overthrow the throne of kingdoms
- He will destroy the strength of those who turn against Him
- He will set His appointed leader on His throne