God always existed; He created all things
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and empty; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters. 3 Then God said, Light be! And there was light. 4 And God saw the light that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and He called the darkness Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
- The word ‘create’ is unique. It is the Hebrew word ‘bara’ which means to make something out of nothing. Only God can do it. We use existing materials to make things.
- The Spirit of God moved or hovered over the formless mass of basic elements that He had spoken into existence from nothing.
- Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 9 he spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
- Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or you had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God.
6 Then God said, Let an expanse be in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. 7 So God made the expanse and divided the waters that were under the space from the waters that were above the space; and it was so. 8 And God called the expanse Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.
- This was the creation of 'outer space'—the place of the stars, planets, solar systems, and galaxies. And inner space, the spaces between atoms, cells, etc.‘
- And it was so’ means to set something precisely, exactly right.
9 Then God said, Waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and dry land appear; and it was so. 10 And God called the dry land Earth, and He called the gathering together of the waters Seas. And God saw that it was good.
- Naming is a function of ownership or lordship.
11 Then God said, Earth bring forth grass, herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself on the earth; and it was so. 12 The earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13 So the evening and the morning were the third day.
- Over 400,000 types of grasses, plants, herbs, shrubs, and trees have been cataloged in our day of mass extinction.
14 Then God said, Lights be in the space of the heavens to divide the day from the night; be for signs and seasons, for days and years; 15 And be for lights in the space of the heavens to give light on the earth; and it was so. 16 Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. 17 Godsetthem in the space of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 So the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
- The ‘lights-givers’ or stars, seen from earth, form pictographs, the early language of man. These pictographs, constellations, were like our Bible.
- The stars and constellations gave spiritual light as well as physical light because the basic promises of God began with Virgo, the virgin (Isaiah 7:14).
- Matthew 2:2 when the wise men asked, ‘Where is He that is born king of the Jews for we have seen His star in the east and have come to worship Him.’
- The universe displays God’s awesome power. At 490,000 miles per hour it would take our little galaxy 200,000 years to make one rotation and astronomers estimate 125 billion galaxies. Yet the power of Almighty God keeps each celestial body on perfect course.
20 Then God said, Waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and birds fly above the earth across the face of the expanse of the heavens. 21 So God created great sea creatures and every living, breathing creature that moves with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and birds multiply on the earth. 23 So the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
- Over 8, 600 species of birds remain today.
- 40,000 species of mollusks and 35,000 species of crustaceans have been recorded.
- God’s intention is to bless. The word ‘blessed’ means happiness, to be or make happy. God wanted all His creation to be blessed and happy. That is still His plan.
- Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
24 Then God said, Earth bring forth the living creature according to its kind: animals and creeping thing and beasts of the earth, each according to its kind; and it was so. 25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
- 17, 600 species of land animals remain today.
God made man like Himself
26 Then God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the animals, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
- ‘Let US make man…God is one person in three manifestations… a trinity.
- In 586 BC Ezekiel saw visions of God.
- In Ezekiel 1:26-28 he describes a sapphire throne high above and on it the form of a man of fiery amber flashing forth rainbows.
- In Isaiah 43:7 God tells why He made man.
- Isaiah 43:7… I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yes, I have made him.
28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth. 29 And God said, Look, I have given you every herb that has seed on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; these will be your food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is a living soul, I have given every green herb for food; and it was so. 31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
- Romans 11:36 Of Him and through Him and to Him are all things to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen
- Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
- Revelation 4:11 You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for you have created all things, and for pleasure they are and were created.
God blesses outrageously
1 So the heavens and the earth were finished, and all their host. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work that he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and set it apart as special because he rested from all his work that God created to make.
- ‘Created to make,’ is the correct translation. All the DNA of all the future generations of plants, animals and people were also completed and put into the genetics of the procreative structures of all things.
4 This is the birth history of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, 5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain on the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. 6 But a mist went up from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. 7 And the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
- Job 33:4 The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty has given me life.
8 And the LORD God planted a garden toward the east in Eden; and he put the man there whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground the LORD God made grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the Tree of Life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
- God, the original gardener, planted a garden and put man in it.
- Eden means paradise, pleasure/delight.
10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from there it spread, and became four heads. 11 The name of the first is Pison: which surrounds the whole land of Havilah where there is gold; 12 And the gold of that land is good: bdellium and the onyx stone also are there. 13 And the name of the second river is Gihon: it surrounds the whole land of Ethiopia. 14 And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: which goes toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.
- Revelation 22:17 And whosoever will, let him take of the water of life freely.
15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep/guard it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Eat from every tree of the garden: 17 But from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, do not eat: for in the day that you eat of it dying, you will die.
- Man was to tend God’s garden and guard it.
- God forbid that man partake of evil.
- Obedience to this one simple command guarded the earth from evil.
God made woman from man
18 And the LORD God said, It is not good for man to be alone; I will make him a helper that fits him. 19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every bird of the air; and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them: and whatever Adam called every living creature, that was its name. 20 And Adam called names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam a helper was not found suited to him. 21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed the flesh underneath.
- The first surgery
22 And from the rib/side that the LORD God had taken from man he built a woman, and brought her to the man. 23 And Adam said, This, now at last, bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she will be called Isha, because she was taken out of Ish/Man. 24 Therefore a man will leave his father and his mother, and cleave/cling to his wife: and they will be one flesh. 25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
- She was from him and for him and fit perfectly.
- Psalm 8:1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is your name in all the earth!
SUMMARY: Genesis 1-2
- The Almighty created heaven and earth by simply speaking
- He made everything in the universe good, good, and very good.
- He gave man the honor of being created in His likeness
- He planted a garden and put man there
- He forbid that man partake of evil. It will cause death
- God made man a helper that fits him so that he won't be alone