The Lord delivers us from this present evil world to the most exalted place
1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;) 2 And all the brothers that are with me, to the churches of Galatia: 3 Grace to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ, 4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God our Father: 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- What astounding credentials God has—Maker of heaven and earth—Father—Raised Christ from the dead.
- Imagine infinite knowledge that knows
all things all at once.
- magine infinite power that holds the minute elements of all creation together, power that holds the universe together.
- Imagine infinite righteousness that has never been wrong or made one teeny, tiny mistake.
- Imagine infinite love, bigger than the universe and goes on and on endlessly.
- This is just a sample of what the term
- Psalm 36:5 Your mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and your faithfulness reaches unto the clouds.
6 I marvel that you are so quickly transferred from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 which is not another; but there are some that trouble you, and want to pervert the gospel/good news of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than that which we have preached to you, let him be cursed.
- Verse 4 explains the gospel.
- Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world
It pleased God to separate us from our mother’s wombs’
9 As we said before, I now say again, If any man preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be cursed. 10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? If I still pleased men, I would not be the servant of Christ. 11 But I make known to you brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not from man. 12 I did not receive it from man, neither was I taught it, except by the revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my way of life in time past in the Jews’ religion, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and ravaged it: 14 And excelled in Judaism above many of my equals in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called me by his grace, 16 to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood: 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those that were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother. 20 Now behold, I write these things to you before God, I am not lying. 21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia; 22 And was unknown by face to the churches of Judaea that were in Christ: 23 But they had heard only, That he that persecuted us in times past now preached the faith that once he destroyed. 24 And they glorified God in me.
- The phrase IN CHRIST is found 75 times in the New Testament.
- There is no higher place in the universe.
- God wants us to know the exalted place
that He has given us by His love.
- Ephesians 1:19-21 …exceeding greatness of his power which he worked in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come
Christ set us free from the works of the law
1 Then, after fourteen years, I went up to Jerusalem again with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. 2 I went up by revelation, and presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to those that seemed to be pillars so that by any means I not run in vain. 3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised: 4 But because of false brothers sneaking in, who stole in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus so that they might bring us into bondage: 5 But we did not yield to them even for one hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you. 6 But from those who were of high reputation, (what they were makes no difference to me: God accepts no man’s person:) but those of reputation contributed nothing to me.
- Of ourselves we are not acceptable to our Holy God. We must be in Christ Jesus.
- The coats of skins that God made the man and woman as He sent them from Eden were the first sign of this. “the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.”
- Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
- Matthew 22:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man not wearing a wedding garment. 12 And he said to him, Friend, how did you get in here not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed to me, just as the gospel of the circumcision was to Peter; 8 (For he that worked effectively in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
- Isaiah 26:12 LORD, you will ordain peace for us: for you have done all our works in us.
God justifies us by faith not by our works
9 And when James, Peter, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. 10 Only they desired that we remember the poor; the very thing I was quick to do. 11 But when Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was to be blamed. 12 For before certain men came from James, he ate with the Gentiles: but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those that were of the circumcision. 13 And the other Jews put on a false face with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they did not walk uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, If you, being a Jew, live like Gentiles and not like the Jews, why do you compel the Gentiles to live like the Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law no flesh will be justified.
- Galatians 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, In you all nations will be blessed.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ the minister of sin? Never! 18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I, through the law, am dead to the law so that I might live to God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ died for nothing.
- The law shows us that we are not holy and cannot be holy on our own.
- Knowing this kills our pride and self-righteousness, humbling us so that we can be holy in Him.
- We will not seek Him if we think we can do it ourselves, and we love him greatly because He did this for us.
- Our love fulfills the first and great commandment to love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind (Matthew 22:37).
- Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 and to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that you might be filled with all the fullness of God.
God gives the Holy Spirit and miracles by faith
1 O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, that you not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ has been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 I desire to learn only one thing from you, Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have you suffered so many things in vain, if it is for nothing? 5 He that supplies the Spirit to you, and does miracles among you, does he do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
- This tells us that trying to keep the law is a work of the flesh.
- When walking in the energy and leading of the Holy Spirit our works will be good in God’s eyes.
- Satan has a false set of works that build up our pride and make us feel good about ourselves rather than grateful to God.
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
God counts faith for righteousness
6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness. 7 Do you know therefore that those that are of faith, they are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, In you all nations will be blessed. 9 So then those that are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. 10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that does not continue in all things that are written in the book of the law to do them.
- James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law, and yet offends in one point, he is guilty of all.
Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made the curse in our place
11 But it is evident that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God: for, The just will live by faith. 12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them will live in them. 13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangs on a tree: 14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
- Our works give cause for pride by focusing attention on us.
- We did not make the universe or life.
- We do not sustain life and breath for all living beings.
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
15 Brothers, I speak in terms of human relations; though it is only a man’s covenant, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it. 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and his seed. He does not say, And to seeds, as many; but one, And to your seed, which is Christ. 17 What I am saying is this: the law, which was four hundred and thirty years afterward, cannot cancel the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, and make the promise of no effect. 18 For if the inheritance is based on the law, it is no longer of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise. 19 Why serve the law then? It was added because of transgressions until the seed would come to whom the promise was made; and angels ordained it in the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
- A mediator makes peace between two or more persons.
- If there is only one person then there is no dispute.
- God is holy and has a lot against man because of man’s unrighteousness.
- Jesus Christ, sent by God the Father’s love, came between and fulfilled God’s holy requirements in our place and made peace.
- He makes us one with Himself so that there is no further dispute.
- 1Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.
God gave us the law to show us our need of Christ
21 Is the law against the promises of God then? Never: for if there had been a law that could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the scripture has concluded all under sin so that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to those that believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith that would afterwards be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
- We are born in pride and think we are okay until we see the holy standard of God and are unable to keep it.
- The more we see of God in scripture, the more we are humbled and see ourselves as frail, sinful mortals.
- This is the truth.
- We are not strong enough or powerful enough to make and sustain a universe or even ourselves.
- We are not perfectly right about anything whereas God is perfectly right even in the smallest details.
He clothes us with Himself by baptism
He made us His heirs
25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 26 For you are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
God has freed us from slavery to sin and made us His eternal heirs
1 Now the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different from a servant, though he is lord of all; 2 but is under tutors and governors until the time appointed by the father. 3 We also were children in bondage under the principles of the world. 4 But when the fullness of the time came, God sent his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 to redeem those that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
- 1Peter 1:18 you were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain way of life received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as a lamb without blemish and without spot.
6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 So you are no longer a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. 8 But when you did not know God, you served them that by nature are not gods. 9 But now, after you have known God, or rather are known by God, why do you return to slavery? 10 You observe days, and months, and times, and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have worked over you for nothing.
- Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ.
12 Brothers, I urge you, be also as I am; for I am as you are: you have not injured me at all. 13 You know how, at first, through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel to you. 14 And you did not despise or reject my bodily condition; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 Where is the blessedness you spoke of? For I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy because I tell you the truth? 17 They are zealous for you, but not for good; yes, they wish to shut you out so that you will be zealous for them. 18 It is good to always be zealous in good things, and not only when I am present with you. 19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ is formed in you, 20 I wish I could be with you now, and to change my tone; for I stand in doubt of you.
- The word ‘travail’ means sweating it out in childbirth.
- Christ is formed in us when we live by the Holy Spirit, thinking like Christ because we think God’s word rather than that of others.
- Man is a creature of thought more than function.
- The thought comes before the action.
- When we listen to the world we become like the world.
- When we listen to Christ, we become like Him and moreover, the Son of the living God actually lives in us.
- Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world: but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
21 Tell me, you that desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24 These things are a symbol representing the two covenants; one from the mount Sinai, which leads to slavery, which is Hagar. 25 For Hagar represents mount Sinai in Arabia and is in slavery with her children, and corresponds to the present Jerusalem. 26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written, Rejoice, you barren that did not bare. Break out and cry, you that did not travail: for the desolate has many more children than she that has a husband. 28 Now we, brothers, are the children of promise as Isaac was. 29 But he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, and still does. 30 But what does the scripture say? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman will not be heir with the son of the freewoman. 31 So then, brothers, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
- People who are working for their salvation persecute those who accept God’s free grace gift.
- This splits the human race.
- Most of the world’s religions are working for salvation.
- Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? And in your name cast out devils? And in your name do many wonderful works? 23 And then I will say to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.
Christ has made us free
1 So stand fast in the liberty with which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Look, I Paul say to you, that if you are circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ has become of no effect/estranged to you, whoever of you are justified by the law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith that works by love.
- The Lord set us free from the load of keeping the Mosaic law to be in right standing before God.
- Whenever we are looking at ourselves and our doings instead of Jesus and His doings, we are off track.
- In Him we experience His love.
- When we are walking by means of the Holy Spirit, responding to God’s love, we are not breaking any law of God.
7 You ran well; who hindered you that you do not obey the truth? 8 This persuasion does not come from him that called you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in you through the Lord that you will be of no other mind: but he that troubles you will bear his judgment, whoever he is. 11 And I, brothers, if I still preach circumcision, why do I still suffer persecution? Then the offence of the cross has ceased. 12 I would that they were cut off who trouble you.
- Paul wants those corrupting the truth to be not circumcised by castrated.
- Man’s pride clings to the basic goodness of mankind while hating and persecuting those who tell the truth: that we have no good of ourselves.
- Organized religions are often the ones killing Christians because of this truth.
13 For, brothers, you have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: You are to love your neighbor as yourself. 15 But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are constantly opposed to one other: so that you cannot do the things that you would.
- Sinful creatures with God the Holy Spirit inside them will have inner conflict because their nature now has two parts that want opposite things.
- Romans 6:16 Do you not know, that to whom you yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants you are to whom you obey; whether of sin to death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
The Lord does not give His kingdom to those who continue in the flesh
18 But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are shown to be these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and things like this: of which I tell you beforehand, as I have told you in the past, that those which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Witchcraft tries to control life by calling on evil spirits instead of praying to God.
- Those who do these things can be saved but will not inherit the kingdom with Christ.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 meekness, temperance: there is no law against these. 24 And those that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the passions and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become glory seeking, provoking one another, envying one another.
- We have God’s power, the power that created and sustains the universe to say no to these temptations.
- Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 9 For he spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
The Holy Spirit leads us into everlasting life
1 Brothers, if a man is overtaken in a fault, you that are spiritual, restore that one in the spirit of meekness; considering yourself, that you not also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if a man thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 But let every man prove his own work, then he will he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. 5 For every man will bear his own burden.
- Each person is judged according to his own doings.
- No one is judged based on the words, thoughts, or deeds of someone else.
- Isaiah 53:4 he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows
6 Let him that is taught in the word share with him that teaches in all good things. 7 Do not be deceived; God is not mocked: for whatever a man sows, that is what he will also reap. 8 For he that sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap life everlasting.
- The choice of the Garden of Eden is before us everyday. We can choose to walk after our own way and become corrupt or follow the Holy Spirit into life.
- John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
Jesus made us a new species of being, humans indwelt by God
9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we will reap, if we do not faint. 10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good to all men, especially to those who are of the household of faith. 11 You see how large a letter I have written to you with my own hand. 12 As many as desire to look well in the flesh, they compel you to be circumcised so that they not suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. 13 Those themselves that are circumcised do not keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may boast in your flesh. 14 But may I never glory, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ by whom the world is crucified to me, and I to the world. 15 For in Christ Jesus circumcision avails nothing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. 17 From now on let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus. 18 Brothers, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
- The Creator of the universe joined to be completely One with each believer in Him, making them something that had never existed before.
- John 17:23 I in them, and you in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that you have sent me, and have loved them, as you have loved me.
SUMMARY: Galatians 1-6
- The Lord delivers us from this present evil world to the most exalted place
- It pleased God to separate us from our mother’s wombs’
- Christ has set us free from the works of the law
- God justifies us by faith not by our works
- God gives the Holy Spirit and miracles by faith
- God counts faith for righteousness
- Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made the curse in our place
- God gave us the law to show us our need of Christ
- He clothes us with Himself by baptism
- He made us His heirs
- God has freed us from slavery to sin and made us His eternal heirs
- The Lord does not give His kingdom to those who continue in the flesh
- The Holy Spirit leads us into everlasting life
- Jesus made us a new species of being, humans indwelt by God