Jesus was declared to be God’s Son with power because God raised Him from the dead
1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the good news of God, 2 (which he had promised before by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And shown to be the Son of God in power by the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
- God’s Holy Spirit showed Jesus to be the Savior that God promised to send by the power of the miracles that were done through Him and His being raised from the dead because no one else ever did these things.
- Only God can.
- What great news it is that someone else has paid for our crimes against God. Not only do we not have to pay for our sins and transgressions against our infinitely high and holy Creator, but He has planned such wonderful things for us that we can’t grasp it all.
- 1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.
5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6 Among whom you are also the called by Jesus Christ: 7 to all that are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. 8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the good news of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come to you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end you may be established; 12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by our mutual faith both you and me.
- The Lord is our witness. Imagine being called into the court of heaven before the sapphire throne of the Almighty God, and the witness for your defense is the Lord Himself.
- Beloved means that He loves us dearly.
- Job 16:19 Also now, behold, my witness is in heaven, and my record is on high.
God’s truth is power
13 Now I do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, that I often planned to come to you, (but was kept back until now) that I might have some fruit among you as among other Gentiles. 14 I am a debtor both to the Greeks and to the Barbarians; both to the wise and to the unwise. 15 So as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the good news to you that are at Rome also. 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes: to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
- His truth is power because His word is power.
- He spoke creation into being (Psalm 33:6, 9).
- He changes our hearts by His word (Romans 12:1).
- Brings an end to evil by His word (2 Thessalonians 2:8).
- He holds all things up by His word.
- Hebrews 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high
17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just will live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because what can be known of God is shown in them; for God has showed it to them.
- Just as an artist would have a right to be angry if someone broke into his home and ruined a great painting or sculpture.
- So much more our Creator has a right to be angry with men and angels who ruin the wonder of life that God had planned by choosing to refuse His goodness and go their own way.
- John 1:9 That was the true Light that enlightens every man that comes into the world.
The incorruptible God is glorious
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because when they knew God, they did not glorify as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man and birds and four-footed beasts and creeping things. 24 So God gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves. 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this cause God gave them up to vile affections: for even their women changed the natural use into that which is against nature. 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that repayment of their error which was fitting. 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate/unfit/unapproved mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 backbiters, haters of God, spiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful. 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that those who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in those that do them.
God’s judgment is according to truth
He is rich in goodness that leads us to repentance
1 Therefore you are without excuse, O man, everyone judging: for in what you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you that judge do the same things. 2 But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who commit such things. 3 And do you think, O man that judges those who do such things and do the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you despise the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But after your hardness and unrepentant heart treasure up to yourself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; 6 Who will give to every man according to his deeds: 7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek glory and honor and immortality, eternal life: 8 But to those that are contentious and do not obey the truth but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish on every soul of man that does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Gentile; 10 But glory, honor, and peace, to every man that works good, to the Jew first and also to the Gentile/nonJew:
- The Lord gives glory, honor, and peace to every man that does good.
God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ
11 For there is no partiality with God. 12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law. 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law will be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, not having the law are a law unto themselves: 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness and their thoughts between themselves accusing or excusing one another) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
- Now is our opportunity read His Word, find where we fall short, according to Him, and judge ourselves so we can avoid being judged by Him.
- Mark 4:22 For there is nothing hidden, that will not be manifested; nor was anything kept secret, but that it will be made known.
- John 5:22 For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment unto the Son
- 1 Corinthians 11:31 …if we would judge ourselves we would not be judged.
17 Behold, you are called a Jew and rest in the law and make your boast of God, 18 and know his will, and approve the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law; 19 And are confident that you yourself are a guide of the blind, a light of those who are in darkness, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which have the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law. 21 You who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You that preach that a man should not steal, do you steal? 22 You that say a man should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You that abhor idols, do you commit sacrilege? 23 You that make your boast of the law, through breaking the law do you dishonor God? 24 For just as it is written, the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you.
- If God’s people obey Him, they are wonderful to be around.
- Their lifestyle is honest, open, giving, and loving. God is honored.
- If they cheat, lie, commit adultery, and steal they give God a bad name.
25 For circumcision truly profits, if you keep the law: but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision is made uncircumcision. 26 Therefore if the uncircumcised keep the righteousness of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? 27 And will not those uncircumcised who fulfill the law, judge you, who by the letter and circumcision transgress the law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly; nor is circumcision outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, who is one inwardly; and circumcision is of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
- 1 Samuel 16:7 for the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.
- 1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then every man will have praise of God.
1 Then what superiority does the Jew have? Or what is the profit of circumcision? 2 Much in every way: mainly because the oracles of God were committed to them. 3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief destroy the faith of God? 4 Never! But let God be true and every man a liar; as it is written, That you might be justified in your sayings, and might overcome when you are judged. 5 But if our unrighteousness commends the righteousness of God, what can we say? Is God unrighteous who takes vengeance? (I speak as a man) 6 Never! For then how can God judge the world? 7 For if the truth of God has more abounded through my lie to his glory; why am I still also judged as a sinner? 8 And not rather, (as we are slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil that good may come? Whose condemnation is just.
- God is longsuffering and gives many warnings and chances. So when vengeance does come upon us we are simply reaping what we sowed (Galatians 6:7). Jesus will judge all things.
- 2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any perish, but that all come to repentance.
- John 5:22 For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment unto the Son
9 What then? Are we better than they? No, in no way: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; 10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that does good, no, not one. 13 Their throat is an open grave; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: 14 whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: 15 their feet are swift to shed blood: 16 destruction and misery are in their ways: 17 and they do not know the way of peace: 18.there is no fear of God before their eyes.
- God wants man to seek him (Acts 17:24-28). All have gone astray (Isaiah 53:6). What these people say leads to misery and death.
- Galatians 3:22 But the scripture has concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
- Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all tosey that do his commandments: his praise endures forever.
19 Now we know that all things the law says, it says to those who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped and all of the world may become guilty before God. 20 So by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in his sight: for by the law comes the knowledge of sin. 21 But the righteousness of God without the law is shown, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ is to all and on all those that believe: for there is no difference. 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
- 1John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
The Lord justifies us freely by His grace through faith
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 whom God has set forth to be a reconciliation/mercy seat through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To display at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier the one who believes in Jesus. 27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No: but by the law of faith.
- Forbearance means tolerance or self-restraint.
- Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- 1 Corinthians 1:29 That no flesh should boast in his presence.
He justifies all by faith
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. 29 Is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30 Seeing it is one God who will justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. 31 Do we then destroy the law through faith? Never! But we establish the law.
- The Lord is the God of all.
- Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
- Galatians 3:24-26 Therefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith has come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 26 For you are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
God justifies the ungodly by faith
He counts faith for righteousness
1 What then can we say that our father Abraham has found according to the flesh? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he has reason to boast, but not before God. 3 For what does the scripture say? Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that works the reward is not counted according to grace, but according to debt. 5 But to him that does not work, but believes on him that justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness without works, 7 saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered.
- Man did not create the universe.
- Man does not give life and breath to all.
- Man is the guest of a wondrous being infinitely beyond our ability to comprehend.
- We need to seek that being, listen to Him and believe what He says and follow His Son, Jesus, into eternal glory by faith.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not charge sin. 9 Does this blessedness come on the circumcision only or on the uncircumcision also? For we say that faith was counted to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How then was it counted? Was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith he had when he was still uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all that believe, though they are not circumcised; so that righteousness might be credited to them also: 12 and the father of circumcision to those who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham, that he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise, that he would be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
- The faith came first.
- Circumcision was the outward sign of his inner
- The Jews said it was required for salvation.
- That’s not what God said. Genesis 17 is record of Abram’s circumcision.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
14 For if the heirs are by the law, faith has been canceled, and the promise destroyed: 15 because the law works out wrath: for where there is no law, there is no transgression. 16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be secure to all the seed; not to those only who are of the law, but to those also who are of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all. 17 (As it is written, I have made you a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who makes alive the dead, and calls those things that are not as though they were. 18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to what was spoken, So will your seed be. 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body now dead, when he was about a hundred years old, nor the deadness of Sarah's womb. 20 He did not stagger at the promise of God through unbelief. but was strong in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able to perform.
- There are 7,000 promises in scripture to believe and watch God fulfill.
Jesus was delivered up for our offences and raised for our justification
22 Therefore it was counted to him for righteousness. 23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was credited to him; 24 But for us also, to whom it will be counted if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; 25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
- Hebrews 1:1 … his Son, whom he has appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high
SUMMARY: Romans 1-4
- Jesus was declared to be God’s Son with power because God raised Him from the dead
- God’s truth is power
- The incorruptible God is glorious
- God’s judgment is according to truth
- He is rich in goodness that leads us to repentance
- God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ
- The Lord justifies us freely by His grace through faith
- He justifies all by faith
- God justifies the ungodly by faith
- He counts faith for righteousnes
- Jesus was delivered up for our offences and raised for our justification