1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, 2 to Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with a pure conscience, that without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day; 4 longing to see you, as I recall your tears, that I may be filled with joy; 5 when I call to remembrance the unpretended faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that is in you also. 6 Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God, that is in you by the putting on of my hands.
- 1Corinthians 12:4 Now there are different gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are differences of operations, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit all. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, dividing to every man individually as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of that one body, being many are one body: so also is Christ.
God has given us His spirit of power, and love, and a sound mind
He saved us and called us with a holy calling
He gave us grace in Christ Jesus before the world began
7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 8 So do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me, his prisoner: but be a partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before the world began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death, and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel: 11 to which I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. 12 For this reason I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have committed to him against that day.
- Jesus abolished death for those who believe in Him.
- Hebrews 7:25 Therefore he is able to save to the uttermost those that come to God by him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
- John 10:28 And I give to them eternal life; and they will never perish, neither will any man pluck them out of my hand.
His Holy Spirit dwells in us
13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which you have heard from me, in faith and love that is in Christ Jesus. 14 Guard by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us that good thing which was committed to you. 15 You know that all those who are in Asia have turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes. 16 The Lord give mercy to the house of Onesiphorus; for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain: 17 but when he was in Rome he sought me out very diligently, and found me. 18 The Lord grant to him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and you know very well in how many ways he served me at Ephesus.
2 Timothy 2
The Lord has chosen us to be His warriors
1 You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these things to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 3 Suffer hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No man serving as a soldier entangles himself with the affairs of this life so that he may please him who has chosen him to be a soldier. 5 If anyone competes as an athlete he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.
- Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Therefore take to you the whole armor of God so that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
He gives understanding in all things
6 The husbandman that labors must be first partaker of the fruits. 7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give you understanding in all things. 8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel: 9 In which I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even to bonds; but the word of God is not bound. 10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect’s sakes so that they may also obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 11 It is a faithful saying (For if we are dead with him, we will also live with him), 12 if we suffer, we will also reign with him: if we deny him, he will also deny us.
- This suffering is to complete us (Colossians 2:10).
- Many groups will reign with Christ when He returns:
1.David—Ezekiel 34:23-24, 37:24-25, Hosea 3:5
2.The Church—1 Corinthians 6:3
3.The apostles—Matthew 19:28
5.Princes—Isaiah 32:1, Ezekiel 45:8, 9
6.Judges—Zechariah 3:7, Isaiah 1:26
7.Tribulational martyrs—Revelation 20:4
8.Lesser authorities—Zechariah 3:7 (List from John Hagee)
- James 1:4 But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire, lacking nothing.
He is faithful
We live in His presence
13 If we do not believe, yet he stays faithful: he cannot deny himself. 14 Remind them of these things, charging them in the Presence of God that they not argue about words to no benefit, but to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- We must be trained in God’s truth and promises.
- We must first know Him and love Him.
- Then we will know that it is Him working in and through us. We will be confident and unshakable.
His foundation stands sure
God knows those that are His
16 But avoid worldly and empty babblings: for they will increase ungodliness. 17 And their word will eat like gangrene: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 who have erred concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows those that are his. And, Let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor. 21 If a man cleanses himself from these, he will be a vessel to honor, sanctified, and fit for the master’s use, and prepared for every good work.
- John 15:3 Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
22 Now flee from youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, love, peace, with those that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 But avoid foolish and unlearned questions, knowing that they produce quarrels. 24 And the servant of the Lord must not argue; but be gentle to all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if perhaps God will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 that they may awaken themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him to do his will.
2 Timothy 3
1 Know this also, that in the last days perilous times will come. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, braggarts, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 without natural feeling, trucebreakers, false accusers, without self-control, savage, haters of good, 4 traitors, reckless, puffed up, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 having a form of godliness, but having denied its power: turn away from these. 6 For these are the ones that creep into houses, leading captive silly women loaded with sins, led away with various lusts, 7 always learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 But as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, of no judgment concerning the faith.
- ‘A form of godliness’ is Satan’s world system of good works that leave out God, our Maker. This permeates all religions.
- It is evil to enjoy life but refuse contact, or even deny the existence of the one who gave it.
- These people use the word of God rather than honor and obey it.
The Lord delivers from all troubles
9 But they will advance no further: for their folly will be shown to all men, as theirs also was. 10 But you have fully known my doctrine, way of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which came to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but the Lord delivered me out of them all. 12 Yes, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.
- Psalm 34:6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
God breathed all scripture; its all we need
13 But evil men and seducers will grow worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. 14 But you continue in the things that you have learned and have been assured of, knowing of whom you have learned them; 15 And that from a child you have known the holy scriptures, which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works.
- Notice that God says that His word is all that man needs.
- The world is full of books but pure truth is found in the Bible.
- Whatever is true, God said it first and best.
- Ecclesiastes 12:12 my son, be warned: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh. 13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it is good, or whether it be evil.
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
2 Timothy 4
Jesus will judge the living and the dead righteously at His appearing and His kingdom
1 I solemnly charge you before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they will turn away their ears from the truth, and be turned to fables. 5 But you watch in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of your ministry. 6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 For the rest, there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me at that day: and not to me only, but to all those also that love his appearing.
- There is no moment so astounding as the moment when we meet the Lord face to face.
- The greatest moment in human history will be the moment when the Lord comes to earth to rule over the nations. Everything wrong will be set right and mankind will enjoy life like God intended it to be--beautiful days full of precious moments enjoying the wonder of creation, life, and God.
The Lord will reward every man according to his works
9 Make diligent effort to come to me soon: 10 for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed to Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with you: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. 12 And I have sent Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, bring with you when you come, and the books, but especially the parchments. 14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: 15 of whom you beware also; for he has greatly opposed our words.
- Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he will reward every man according to his works.
He stands with us and strengthens us
16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. 17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.
- 1Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring ion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour.
The Lord will deliver us from every evil work and preserve us unto His heavenly kingdom
18 And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to him is glory forever and ever. Amen. 19 Salute Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus stayed at Corinth: but I have left Trophimus at Miletum sick. 21 Diligently try to come before winter. Eubulus greets you, and Pudens, and Linus, and Claudia, and all the brothers. 22 The Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.
- Hebrews 13:5 Let your way of life be without covetousness; and be content with what thing you have: for he has said, I will never leave you, or forsake you.
- Romans 8:31 If God is for us, who can be against us?
SUMMARY: 2 Timothy 1-4
- God has given us His spirit of power, and love, and a sound mind
- He saved us and called us with a holy calling
- He gave us grace in Christ Jesus before the world began
- His Holy Spirit dwells in us
- The Lord has chosen us to be His warriors
- He gives understanding in all things
- He is faithful
- We live in His presence
- His foundation stands sure
- God knows those that are His
- The Lord delivers from all troubles
- God breathed all scripture; its all we need
- Jesus will judge the living and the dead righteously at His appearing and His kingdom
- The Lord will reward every man according to his works
- He stands with us and strengthens us
- The Lord will deliver us from every evil work and preserve us unto His heavenly kingdom