The glorious Lord battled evil alone and won
1 Who is this that comes from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? This one that is glorious in his apparel, traveling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save. 2 Why is your clothing red, and your garments like one that treads in the winepress? 3 I have trodden the winepress alone; of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in my anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood will be sprinkled on my garments, and I will stain all my raiment. 4 For the day of vengeance is in my heart, and the year of my redeemed has come.
- The Lord is angry at the suffering and ruin of life that evil has caused.
- His righteous words save us when we believe them.
- There will be peace when Jesus returns to rule earth because He will not allow evil to gain a foothold.
- In His absence from the throne of earth, war is the tool that He uses to chastise rebellious nations.
- When you hear of wars ask yourself what false god they have turned to.
- The Lord is so strong that He spoke creation into being.
- Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 9 he spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
- Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
- Judges 5:8 They chose new gods; then was war in the gates
5 And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore my own arm brought salvation to me; and my fury upheld me. 6 I will tread down the people in my anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth. 7 I will mention the love of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD has bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he has bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his loving kindnesses. 8 For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Savior.
- His goodness is great toward us also.
- Mankind needs saving from evil, sickness, pain, sorrow, and death.
- 1John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and have set down with my Father in his throne.
- Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD appeared of old to me, saying, Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love.
He is afflicted with us in all our afflictions; He carries us
9 In all of their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old. 10 But they rebelled, and vexed his Holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.
- The Lord was turned by their actions to be their enemy.
- Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed unto the day of redemption.
- 1Thessalonians 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit.
11 Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people, saying, Where is he that brought them up out of the sea with the shepherd of his flock? Where is he that put his Holy Spirit in him? 12 That led them by the right hand of Moses with his glorious arm, dividing the water before them, to make himself an everlasting name? 13 That led them through the deep, as a horse in the wilderness, that they should not stumble? 14 As a beast goes down into the valley, the Spirit of the LORD caused him to rest: so you led your people, to make yourself a glorious name.
Heaven is the dwelling place of the holiness and glory of our eternal Father and Redeemer
15 Look down from heaven, and behold from the habitation of your holiness and of your glory: where is your zeal and your strength, the stirring of your affections and of your mercies toward me? Are they restrained? 16 Doubtless you are our father, though Abraham does not know of us, and Israel does not acknowledge us: you, O LORD, are our father, our redeemer; your name is from everlasting. 17 O LORD, why have you made us err from your ways, and hardened our heart from your fear? Return for your servants’ sake, the tribes of your inheritance. 18 The people of your holiness have possessed it just a little while: our adversaries have trampled down your sanctuary. 19 We are yours: you never ruled over them; they were not called by your name.
- God doesn’t cause anyone to err.
- James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither does he tempt any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away by his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.
1 O that you would tear the heavens and come down; that the mountains might flow down at your presence, 2 As when the melting fire burns, the fire causes the waters to boil, to make your name known to your adversaries that the nations may tremble at your presence! 3 When you did awesome things that we did not look for, you came down; the mountains flowed down at your presence.
- God’s presence melts mountains.
- Ezekiel 1:26-28 describes the Almighty God as a fiery amber form of a man bursting forth light.
- Revelation 1:16 says that the face if Christ shines as bright as the sun.
- If earth were close to the sun, it would melt.
- Paul was blinded by the sight of Christ, on the road to Damascus.
The Lord has prepared unimaginable things for us
4 For since the beginning of the world men have not heard or perceived by the ear, neither has the eye seen, O God, beside you, what he has prepared for the one that waits for him. 5 You meet him that rejoices and works righteousness, those that remember you in your ways: behold, you are furious; for we have sinned: in those is continuance, and we will be saved. 6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as menstrual rags; and we all fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. 7 There is none that calls on your name, that stirs up himself to take hold of you: for you have hid your face from us, and have consumed us, because of our iniquities.
- Menstrual rags are the waste of unfruitfulness.
- Waiting on the Lord has many forms.
- It is an act of faith to stop doing what you’re doing and wait on God in trust.
- To get quiet in His presence is life’s most astounding experience.
- 1Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye has not seen or ear heard, neither has entered into the heart of man, the things that God has prepared for those that love him.
The self-existent One is our Father; He formed us with His hands
8 But now, O LORD, you are our father; we are the clay, and you our potter; and we all are the work of your hand. 9 Do not be greatly angry, O LORD, neither remember iniquity forever: behold, look, we beg you, we are all your people. 10 Your holy cities are a wilderness, Zion is a wilderness, Jerusalem a desolation. 11 Our holy and our beautiful house, where our fathers praised you, is burned up with fire: and all our pleasant things are laid waste. 12 Will you refrain yourself for these things, O LORD? Will you hold your peace, and afflict us very greatly?
- Lamentations 3:33 he does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men.
The Lord seeks the rebellious; He pays back the unrepentant their iniquities
1 I am sought by those that did not ask for me; I am found of those that did not seek me: I said, Behold me, look at me, to a nation that was not called by my name. 2 I have spread out my hands all the day to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, after their own thoughts; 3 A people that provoke me to anger continually to my face; that sacrifice in gardens, and burn incense on altars of brick; 4 Who remain among the graves, and lodge in the monuments, who eat swine’s flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels; 5 Who say, Stand by yourself, do not come near me; for I am holier than you. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burns all the day.
- Looking to God solves all life’s problems, completely and fully.
- According to 2 Timothy 3:16 all the Bible is from God.
- “All scripture is given by inspiration of God (literally from the Hebrew, all scripture is God-breathed…).
- The attitude that we are better than someone else comes from pride.
- Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you, they are spirit, and they are life.
6 Behold, it is written before me: I will not keep silent, but will repay, repay into their bosom, 7 your iniquities, and the iniquities of your fathers together, says the LORD, who have burned incense on the mountains, and blasphemed me on the hills: therefore I will measure back their former work into their bosom.
- Burning incense on the mountains was idolatry.
- False worship practices do not rightly represent God.
- God was to be worshipped at His temple in a very specific way that taught the people about Him.
- Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
8 This is what the LORD says, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one says, Do not destroy it; for a blessing is in it: I will do the same for my servan ts’ sakes, that I may not destroy them all. 9 And I will bring a seed out of Jacob, and out of Judah an inheritor of my mountains: and my elect will inherit it, and my servants will dwell there. 10 Sharon will be a fold of flocks, and the valley of Achor a place for the herds to lie down in, for my people that have sought me. 11 But because the rest of you have forsaken the LORD and his Temple and worship the gods of Fate and Destiny, 12 I will ‘destine’ you to the sword. All of you will bow before the executioner, for when I called, you did not answer. When I spoke, you did not listen. You deliberately sinned—before my very eyes—and chose to do what you know I despise. 13 Therefore this is what the Lord God says, Behold, my servants will eat, but you will be hungry: behold, my servants will drink, but you will be thirsty: behold, my servants will rejoice, but you will be ashamed: 14 Behold, my servants will sing for joy of heart, but you will cry for sorrow of heart, and howl for breaking of spirit. 15 And you will leave your name for a curse to my chosen ones: for the Lord GOD will kill you, and call his servants by another name: 16 That he who blesses himself in the earth will bless himself in the God of truth; and he that swears in the earth will swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from my eyes. 17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former will not be remembered, or come upon the heart. 18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
He will rejoice in Jerusalem and joy in His people; He will give long life and enjoyment of work
19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping will not be heard in her any more, or the voice of crying. 20 There will no longer be an infant of few days or an old man that has not filled his days: for the child will die a hundred years old; but the sinner being a hundred years old will be cursed. 21 And they will build houses, and live in them; and they will plant vineyards, and eat their fruit. 22 They will not build, and another inhabit; they will not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and my elect will enjoy the work of their hands for a long time. 23 They will not labor in vain or bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the LORD, and their offspring with them. 24 And it will come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear. 25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together, and the lion will eat straw like the bull: dust will be the serpent’s food. They will not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain, says the LORD.
- God’s people can look forward to blessings that are so wonderful that they are hard to imagine.
- He will answer before we call
- He will end violence among man as well as the animals.
- People will live nearly a thousand years with very few troubles.
- Their long lives will be filled with joy.
The Lord’s throne is heaven; earth is His footstool
1 This is what the LORD says, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that you build me? Where is the place of my rest? 2 For my hand made all those things, and all things that exist, says the LORD: but I will look to this man, to him that is humble and of a contrite spirit, and trembles at my word. 3 He that kills an ox is as if he killed a man; he that sacrifices a lamb, as if he cut off a dog’s neck; he that offers an oblation, as if he offered swine’s blood; he that burns incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yes, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delights in their abominations. 4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, no one answered; when I spoke, they did not hear: but they did evil before my eyes, and chose that in which I did not delight.
- All things exist because God holds them together (Colossians 1:17).
- God told the people what He delights in.
- These people were doing their own ways.
- God does not delight in our ways.
- Cain brought of the fruit of the ground, his prize-winning produce to the Lord and it was not acceptable.
- Abel’s offering, like Communion, showed that he believed God’s promise of a Savior.
- Genesis 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of its fat. And the LORD respected Abel and to his offering.
- Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
- Psalm 50:1 The mighty God, even the LORD, have spoken, and called the earth from the rising of the sun unto the going down of it.
5 Hear the word of the LORD, you that tremble at his word; your brothers that hated you, that cast you out for my name’s sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he will appear to your joy, and they will be ashamed. 6 A voice of noise from the city, a voice from the temple, a voice of the LORD that repays his enemies. 7 Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a male child. 8 Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things? Can the earth bring forth in one day? Or Can a nation be born at once? As soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.
- One day the Israelites were slaves in Egypt.
- The next day they were free.
- This also happened again in our time.
- The United Nations signed the Balfour declaration May 14, 1948 and Israel became a nation again all in one day.
- Christ will return to earth one day soon to rule the world from Jerusalem forever.
- Only God can do such amazing things!
9 Will I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? Asks the LORD: will I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? Asks your God. 10 Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad with her, all you that love her: rejoice for joy with her, all you that mourn for her: 11 That you may suck, and be satisfied with the breasts of her consolations; that you may milk out, and be delighted with the brightness of her glory. 12 For the LORD says this, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: then you will suck, you will be carried on her sides, and be dandled on her knees. 13 As one whom his mother comforts, I will comfort you like this; and you will be comforted in Jerusalem. 14 And when you see this, your heart will rejoice, and your bones will flourish like an herb: and the hand of the LORD will be known toward his servants, and his indignation toward his enemies.
He will come with fire and chariots like a whirlwind
15 For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire. 16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and those slain of the LORD will be many. 17 Those that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine’s flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, will be consumed together, says the LORD.
- 2Kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I ask you, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire around Elisha.
- Leviticus 17:7 And they will no longer offer their sacrifices to devils, after whom they have gone a whoring.
18 For I know their works and their thoughts: it will come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they will come, and see my glory. 19 And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape from them to the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they will declare my glory among the Gentiles. 20 And they will bring all your brothers for an offering to the LORD out of all nations on horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and on mules, and on swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, says the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD. 21 And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, says the LORD.
- Ezekiel 1:26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and on the throne was the appearance of a man above upon it. 27 And I saw as the color of amber like fire round about within it, his loins even upward, and from his loins downward, I saw as it were fire, and it had brightness round about. 28 Like the rainbow, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD.
- Revelation 1:6 And has made us kings and priests to God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, will remain before me, says the LORD, so will your seed and your name remain. 23 And it will come to pass, that from the new moon to His new moon, and from sabbath to His sabbath, all flesh will come to worship before me, says the LORD. 24 And they will go out, and look on the carcasses of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm will not die, neither will their fire be quenched; and they will be loathsome to all flesh.
- All the people on earth will one day worship the Lord, their Maker instead of the false gods.
- God leaves a visible reminder of what happens to evil.
- Revelation 21:5 And he that sat on the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said to me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
- Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
SUMMARY: Isaiah 63-66
- The glorious Lord battled evil alone and won
- He is afflicted with us in all our afflictions; He carries us
- Heaven is the dwelling place of the holiness and glory of our eternal Father and Redeemer
- The Lord has prepared unimaginable things for us
- The self-existent One is our Father; He formed us with His hands
- The Lord seeks the rebellious; He pays back the unrepentant their iniquities
- He will rejoice in Jerusalem and joy in His people; He will give long life and enjoyment of work
- The Lord’s throne is heaven; earth is His footstool
- He will come with fire and chariots like a whirlwind