1 Corinthians 14
The Lord builds up, encourages, and comforts through His Holy Spirit
1 Follow after love, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy. 2 For he that speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God: for no man understands him; but in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he that prophesies speaks to men to build up and encourage and comfort. 4 He that speaks in a tongue builds himself up; but he that prophesies builds up the church. 5 I wish that you all spoke with tongues, but more that you prophesy: for greater is he that prophesies than he that speaks with tongues, unless he interprets so that the church may be built up.
- If all speak with tongues they will all be building themselves up in the Lord, speaking mysteries to God in the Spirit.
- Paul desires this but more than this he desires that they build up one another by speaking the words of God (Amos 3:8).
6 Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what will I profit you, unless I speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? 7 Even lifeless things that make sounds, whether pipe or harp, unless they give a distinct sound, how will it be known what is piped or harped? 8 If the trumpet gives an uncertain sound who will prepare himself for the battle? 9 In the same way you, unless you utter by the tongue words easy to understand, how will it be known what is spoken? You will speak into the air. 10 There are many kinds of voices in the world and none of them is without significance. 11 But if I do not know the meaning of the voice, I will be like a barbarian to him that speaks, and he that speaks will be a barbarian to me. 12 And you also, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek what will excel to build up the church.
- We can seek gifts from the Holy Spirit that build up the church.
- Jude 1:20 But you, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit
13 So let him that speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise when you bless with the spirit, how will he that occupies the place of the unlearned say ‘Amen’ at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you truly give thanks well, but the other is not built up. 18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than you all: 19 But in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might also teach others, than ten thousand words in a tongue. 20 Brothers do not be children in understanding: in malice be infants, but in understanding be complete.
- Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves: therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
21 In the law it is written, With other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; and even so they will not hear me, says the Lord. 22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those that believe, but to those that do not believe: but prophesying serves not for them that do not believe, but for those who believe. 23 So if therefore the whole church comes together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and some that are unlearned or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are mad?
- Paul quoted Isaiah 28:11.
- He considered Isaiah part of the law.
- The ‘law’ became a term for the words from God in the Old Testament.
- Is tongues the real issue or is that just a sign of the wonderful gift the heavenly Father has given in His Holy Spirit?
24 But if all prophesy, and one comes in that does not believe, or one unlearned, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all: 25 And by this the secrets of his heart are shown; and falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is truly in you.
- Like the woman at the well, the whole town was saved because Christ told her all things she had done. ‘You’ve had five husbands and the one you have now is not your own.
God is the author of peace and order, not confusion
26 What is it then, brothers? When you come together, every one of you has a psalm, has a doctrine, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to build up. 27 If any man speaks in tongue, let it be by two, or at the most three, and in turn, let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak and let others discern. 30 If any thing is revealed to another that sits by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For you may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
- These people didn’t have the complete word of God in print so this is how God’s word was taught in the early church.
- Isaiah 9:6 unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government will be upon his shoulder: and his name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
34 Let your women keep silent in the churches: for it is not permitted for them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, the law also says this. 35 And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
- It is a judgment on the men of any generation when
God puts women in authority. They haven't loved and led properly.
- Psalm 75:6 For promotion comes neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. 7 But God is the judge: he puts down one, and sets up another.
- Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, those who lead you cause you to err, and destroy the way of your paths.
- 1Timothy 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
36 Was it from you that the word of God first went out, or did it come only to you? 37 If any man thinks he is a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write to you are the commandments of the Lord. 38 But if any man is ignorant, let him be ignorant. 39 Therefore, brothers, covet to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
- 1Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
1 Corinthians 15
Christ died and rose again in our place as God promised in the scriptures
1 Now I make known to you brothers the gospel that I preached to you, which you have received and in which you stand; 2 by which you are saved, if you keep in memory what I preached to you, unless you have believed idly. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all what I also received, how Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And he was seen by Peter, then by the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen by over five hundred brothers at once; and most of them remain to this present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that, he was seen by James; then by all the apostles. 8 And last of all he was also seen by me as of one born out of due time. 9 For I am the least of the apostles, and am not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed on me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than all of them: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so you believed. 12 Now if Christ is preached that he rose from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection from the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not raised: 14 And if Christ is not raised, then our preaching is empty, and your faith also is empty. 15 Yes, we are found false witnesses for God because we have testified about God that he raised Christ up: whom he did not raise, if the dead do not rise.
- One credible eye witness is all that is required in American courts of law as proof.
- We have four accounts of over 500 encounters with the raised Christ in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John by those who were there and saw Him.
- If someone today says it isn’t true, their witness isn’t credible because they weren’t there.
Christ is the first fruits of death
In Him all will be made alive
16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not raised: 17 And if Christ is not raised, your faith is empty; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If we have hope in Christ in this life only, we are the most miserable of all men. 20 But now Christ is raised from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those that slept. 21 For since by man came death, by man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all will be made alive.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him not perish, but have everlasting life.
He must reign until He has put all enemies under His feet
23 But every man in his own order/battalion: Christ the firstfruits; afterward those that are Christ’s at his coming. 24 Then comes the end, when he hands over the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, until he has put all enemies under his feet.
- As Creator, God is the only One with the right by ownership to rule.
- Christ is now seated on His throne in heaven at the right hand of God, the center of all power and authority in the universe.
- He will conquer all false authority by His love.
- He has given us His power to conquer the forces of evil in the hearts of mankind through His Word.
God the Father will be all in all
26 The last enemy that will be destroyed is death. 27 For he has put all things under his feet. But when he says, all things are put under him, it is evident that he is the exception, who put all things under him. 28 And when all things are subdued unto him, then the Son himself will be subject unto him that put all things under him so that God may be all in all. 29 Otherwise what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead do not rise at all? Then why are they baptized for the dead? 30 And why stand we in jeopardy every hour? 31 I affirm by your boasting that I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily. 32 If according to men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantage is it to me, if the dead do not rise? Let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die. 33 Do not be deceived: evil companions corrupt good habits. 34 Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
- The Lord will destroy our last enemy, death.
- God has put all things under Christ’s feet—total conquest.
- God will be all in all.
- The first and greatest righteousness is to love God…Deuteronomy 6:5, Matthew 22:37.
- When we do that we are not sinning. Jesus did it
perfectly for us.
The Lord is going to remake us in His heavenly image, powerful and glorious
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? With what body do they come?36 You fool, what you sow does not sprout unless it dies: 37 And what you sow, you do not sow the body that will be, but bare grain, perhaps wheat or some other grain: 38 But God gives it a body as it has pleased him, and to every seed its own body. 39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh for men. 40 There are also heavenly bodies, and earthly bodies: but the glory of the heavenly is one kind, and the glory of the earthly is another. 41 There is one glory to the sun, and another glory to the moon, and another glory to the stars: and one star differs from another star in glory. 42 The resurrection of the dead is like that. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 So it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a life-giving spirit.
- Ezekiel 1:26-28, Revelation 1:13-16 and Revelation 4 describe the heavenly glory of the Lord that we will be made like.
- John 10:28 I give to them eternal life; and they will never perish, neither will any man pluck them out of my hand.
46 However the spiritual is not first, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven. 48 As is the earthly, so also are those that are earthly: and as is the heavenly, so also are those that are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the earthly, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.
- 1John 3:2 Beloved, now we are the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we will be: but we know that, when he appears, we will be like him; for we will see him as he is
50 Now I say this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I show you a mystery; We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we will be changed.
- This last trumpet is not said to be the seventh trumpet of Revelation.
- Christ promised to keep His own from that hour that would come upon all the world.
- Revelation 3:10 Because you have kept the word of my patience, I also will keep you from the hour of testing, which will come on all the world, to try them that dwell on the earth.
The Lord has swallowed up death in victory
He gives us that victory
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then will be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, for you know that your labor is not in vain/for nothing in the Lord.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and have set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
1 Corinthians 16
The Lord opens great and effective doors for us
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have arranged for the churches of Galatia, you do also. 2 On the first day of the week let every one of you put aside and save, what he is prospered so that there be no gatherings when I come. 3 And when I come, whoever you approve by your letters, I will send them to bring your gift to Jerusalem. 4 And if it is fitting that I go also, they will go with me.
- A famine was prophesied and the church was sending money to help those at Jerusalem get through it.
- Remember Joseph prophesied a famine and helped Egypt prepare for it.
- Notice our gifts are to be of what we are prospered.
- We aren’t to be giving large gifts when the bills aren’t paid and our kids need shoes.
- We aren’t to be giving of that which we hope to receive, but have not yet received.
- Pledge cards promise what we don’t yet have.
- Proverbs 10:22 The blessing of the LORD, it makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.
5 Now when I pass through Macedonia I will come to you: for I am passing through Macedonia. 6 And perhaps I will stay and spend the winter with you that you may bring me on my journey wherever I go. 7 For I do not wish to see you now in passing; but I want to stay a while with you, if the Lord permits. 8 But I will remain at Ephesus until Pentecost. 9 For a great and effective door and is opened to me, and there are many adversaries.
- Revelation 3:8 I know your works: behold, I have set before you an open door, and no man can shut it: for you have a little strength, and have kept my word, and have not denied my name.
- Romans 8:31 What can we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
10 Now if Timothy comes, see that he is with you without fear: for he works the work of the Lord, as I do. 11 Let no man despise him: but send him on his way in peace, that he may come to me: for I expect him with the brothers. 12 And concerning our brother Apollos, I greatly desired him to come to you with the brothers: but it was not his will at all to come at this time; but he will come when he has a convenient time. 13 Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. 14 Let all that you do be done with love.
- Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brothers, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the cunning of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in heavenly places. 13 Therefore take to you the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.
15 I urge you, brothers, (you know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have devoted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) 16 That you submit yourselves to such men, and to everyone working and laboring with me. 17 I rejoice over the coming of Stephanas, Fortunatus, and Achaicus: because they have supplied what was lacking on your part. 18 For they have refreshed my spirit and yours: therefore recognize such ones. 19 The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you heartily in the Lord, with the church that is in their house. 20 All the brothers greet you. Greet one another with a holy kiss. 21 The greeting is with my own hand, Paul. 22 If any man does not love the Lord Jesus Christ let him be Anathema Maranatha/cursed until the Lord comes. 23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ is with you. 24 My love is with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.
- Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
- Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against you, because you have left your first love. 5 Remember from where you have fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come to you quickly, and will remove your candlestick out of his place, unless you repent.
SUMMARY: ! Corinthians 13-16
- The Lord builds up, encourages, and comforts through His Holy Spirit
- God is the author of peace and order, not confusion
- Christ died and rose again in our place as God promised in the scripture
- Christ is the first fruits of death
- In Him all will be made alive
- He must reign until He has put all enemies under His feet
- God the Father will be all in all
- The Lord is going to remake us in His heavenly image, powerful and glorious
- The Lord has swallowed up death in victory
- He gives us that victory
- The Lord opens great and effective doors for us