God is the gardener of our souls
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he cleans it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now you are clean through the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Stay in me, and I in you. Since the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it stays in the vine; no more can you unless you stay in me.
- God’s truth is the seed that produces fruit toward Him in our souls (Luke 8:11).
- Love toward God and the other fruit of the spirit are the fruit (Matthew 22:37, 38, Galatians 5:22, 23).
- The vine is the source of all that the branch needs.
He empowers all our works
5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that stays in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing. 6 If a man does not remain in me, he is cast out like a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you can ask what you will, and it will be done unto you. 8 My Father is glorified in this, that you bear much fruit; so you will be my disciples.
Jesus love us as totally as the Father loves Him
9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you: continue in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and stay in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
- Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life: in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
12 This is my commandment, That you love one another, as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do whatever I command you. 15 From now on I do not call you servants; for the servant does not know what his lord does: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known to you. 16 You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, to go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit would remain: that whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 17 These things I command you, that you love one another.
- 1John 5:3 …and his commandments are not grievous.
- Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
He has chosen us out of this world
18 If the world hates you, you know that it hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love his own: but because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my word, they will keep yours also.
- Hebrews13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man can do to me.
- Psalm 27:3 Though an army camp against me, my heart will not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
He sends us the Comforter from the Father
21 But they will do all these things to you for my name’s sake, because they do not know him that sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they had no sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin. 23 He that hates me hates my Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works that no other man did, they had no sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. 25 But this happened so that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause. 26 But when the Comforter comes whom I will send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father, he will testify of me: 27 And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning.
- Jesus walked on water, raised the dead, and was raised from the dead.
- He did so many things that no other man can do that if it were all written the world could not contain the books (John 21:25).
- The Holy Spirit is a gift from our heavenly Father that we will always have.
- John 14:16 And I will pray to the Father, and he will give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever
Jesus prepared His disciples for what was to come
1 These things I have spoken to you, that you not be offended. 2 They will put you out of the synagogues: yes, the time comes, that whoever kills you will think that he does God a service. 3 And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father or me. 4 But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them. And these things I did not say to you at the beginning because I was with you.
- Jesus warned His disciples about persecution in John 15.
- He gave them the solution— abiding in Him—before He told them about the problem.
- When someone offends us we usually get away from them.
- There is nothing offensive about God. He is perfect.
- If we are offended, we are deceived; when we leave Him, we are leaving LIFE (John 17:3).
- Colossians 3:3 For you are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
5 But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asks me, Where are you going? 6 But because I have said these things to you sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will prove conclusively the world’s sin, and righteousness, and judgment: 9 Of sin, because they do not believe on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and you see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
- Ezekiel 1 describes the glory of God on His eternal throne. That is where Jesus came from. That is where He was going—A sapphire throne high above with God sitting there as the form of a man of fiery amber flashing forth rainbows.
- Unbelief is the first and biggest sin.
- Satan is the prince of this world; he is not god but a liar.
- Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
12 I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 However, when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth: for he will not speak of himself; but whatever he hears, that he will speak: and he will show you things to come. 14 He will glorify me: for he will receive of mine, and will show it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are mine: therefore I said that he will take of mine, and will show it to you.
- God is infinite. We will never come to the end of what He has to say to us.
- Jesus didn’t overload His disciples. He didn’t give them more than they were able to handle.
- God’s Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth.
- 2Peter 1:21 For the prophecy did not come in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
16 A little while, and you will not see me: and again, a little while, and you will see me, because I go to the Father. 17 Then some of his disciples said among themselves, What is this that he says to us, A little while, and you will not see me: and again, a little while, and you will see me: and, Because I go to the Father? 18 They said therefore, What is this that he says, A little while? We cannot tell what he says. 19 Now Jesus knew that they desired to ask him and said to them, Do you inquire among yourselves of what I said, A little while, and you will not see me: and again, a little while, and you will see me? 20 Truth, I tell you the truth, That you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice: you will grieve, but your sorrow will be turned into joy.
- His resurrection and presence with them through the Holy Spirit would bring joy.
- John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, If a man loves me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our dwelling with him.
21 A woman when she is in labor has sorrow, because her hour has come: but as soon as she has delivered the child, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. 22 You have sorrow now: but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no man takes your joy from you.
- Romans 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The Father will give whatever we ask in Jesus name
He wants our joy to be full
23 And in that day you will ask me nothing. Truth, I tell you the truth, Whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now have you asked nothing in my name: ask and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
- This is an astounding promise. The Creator of the universe will give whatever we ask in Jesus name so that our joy may be full.
- Only two things can prevent God the Father from answering—Sin in our heart and lustful motives.
- Psalm 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me
- James 4:3 You ask, and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may consume it on your lusts.
25 These things I have spoken to you in proverbs/parables: but the time comes, when I will no more speak to you in proverbs, but I will show you plainly of the Father.
The Father himself loves us
Jesus overcame the world
26 At that day you will ask in my name: and I do not say to you that I will pray to the Father for you: 27 For the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me, and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father, and have come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father. 29 His disciples said to him, Behold, now you speak plainly and not a parable. 30 Now we are sure that you know all things and do not need to question anyone: by this we believe that you came from God. 31 Jesus answered them, Do you believe now? 32 Behold, the hour comes, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, every man to his own, and will leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33 These things I have spoken to you that in me you might have peace. In the world you will have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
- 1John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- 1Chronicles 29:11 Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is yours; yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and you are exalted as head above all.
God gave Jesus all the power
1 Jesus spoke these words and lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son, that your Son also may glorify you. 2 As you have given him power over all flesh, that he would give eternal life to as many as you have given him. 3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have glorified you on the earth: I have finished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify me with your own self with the glory that I had with you before the world was.
- What do most people do with the power given them? What did Jesus do?
- He gave eternal life to all who will believe in Him!
- The glory that Jesus set aside to come to earth was the Father Himself in Jesus, fiery amber light and all perfection blazing infinitely flashing forth rainbows (Ezekiel 1:26-28 + Revelation 1, 4)
- Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Jesus revealed the Father to us
We are His
6 I have revealed your name/person to the men that you gave me out of the world: they were yours and you gave them to me; and they have kept your word. 7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever you have given me are from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me; and they have received them, and have known certainly that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me.
- Hebrews 1:1 God, who at various times and in different ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 Has in these last days spoken to us by his Son, whom he has appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high
He desires that we be One with them as He is One with the Father
9 I pray for them: I do not pray for the world, but for those that you have given me; for they are yours. 10 And all mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I am glorified in them. 11 And now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to you. Holy Father, guard through your own person those whom you have given me, that they may be one, as we are.
- John 14:20 At that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.
12 While I was with them in the world, I kept/guarded them in your name: those that you gave me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
- John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they will never perish, neither can any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them to me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
13 And now come I to you; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that you take them out of the world, but that you keep/guard them from the evil. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth.
- If we do not know God’s truth or believe God’s truth we are not sanctified.
- When the devil tested Jesus he did it through twisting God’s word.
- If we do not know God’s word we are easy prey to the enemy.
- Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
He sends us as the Father sent Him
18 As you have sent me into the world, even so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. 20 Nor do I pray for these alone, but for those also that will believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that you have sent me.
- That the world may believe.
- 2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any perish, but that all come to repentance.
He has given us His glory
22 And the glory that you gave me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and you in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that you have sent me, and have loved them, as you have loved me. 24 Father, I desire that those also whom you have given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory that you have given me: for you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, the world has not known you: but I have known you, and these have known that you have sent me. 26 And I have made known to them your name/person, and will declare it: that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.
- The word perfect means complete.
- God makes us perfect or complete by making us one with Himself and His Son.
- “It is never God’s will that we be anything less than absolutely complete in Him. Anything that disturbs rest in Him must be cured at once…beware of anything that splits your oneness with Him and makes you see yourself separately.” Oswald Chambers
- Colossians 2:10 And you are complete in him, who is the head of all principality and power.
1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he went out with his disciples over the torrent Cedron, a garden was there and he and his disciples entered it. 2 And Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place: for Jesus assembled there many times with his disciples. 3 Then Judas, having received a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, came there with lanterns and torches and weapons. 4 Jesus, knowing all the things that would come upon him, went out and said to them, Whom do you seek? 5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said to them, I AM. And Judas also, who betrayed him, stood with them. 6 As soon as he had said to them, I AM, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
- Jesus planted the world’s first and most wonderful garden in Genesis 2—Eden.
- These words ‘I AM’ are the name the LORD gave to Moses when He sent Moses to deliver Egypt.
- Translated ‘I Am’, the name means eternal self-existence.
- Only God possesses the ability sustain Himself eternally. Everything else is sustained by Him.
- The One who spoke creation into being (John 1, Genesis 1, Psalm 33:6. 9) spoke the words, I AM and the power of it knocked all of them over.
- Exodus 3:14 And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Say this to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.
7 Then he asked them again, Whom do you seek? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. 8 Jesus answered, I have told you that I AM: if you seek me, let these go their way: 9 That the saying might be fulfilled which he spoke, I have lost none of those that you gave me.
- Even as His own nation was arresting Him to execute Him, He put others before Himself.
10 Then Simon Peter drew a sword and struck the high priest’s servant and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus. 11 Then Jesus said to Peter, Put your sword into its sheath: the cup that my Father has given me, do I not drink it? 12 Then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus and bound him, 13 And led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas, who was the high priest that same year.
- Historical records reveal that Annas had living quarters in the palace of Caiaphas.
- Annas’ daughter was married to Caiaphas, the high priest.
- Annas was a thug, the crime boss of Jerusalem.
- Luke 22:51 tells us that Jesus immediately healed the severed ear. This showed them who they were arresting.
- Luke 22:51 And Jesus answered and said, Allow it this far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.
14 And Caiaphas was the one who advised the Jews that it was expedient that one man die for the people. 15 And Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple: that disciple was known to the high priest, and went in with Jesus into the palace of the high priest. 16 But Peter stood at the door outside. Then that other disciple went out, who was known to the high priest and spoke to her that kept the door and brought Peter in. 17 Then the maidservant that kept the door said to Peter, Are you not also one of this man’s disciples? He said, I am not. 18 And the servants and officers stood there, who had made a fire of coals; for it was cold: and they warmed themselves: and Peter stood with them, and warmed himself. 19 The high priest then asked Jesus about his disciples and about his doctrine.
- He asked about Jesus disciples to see if the military was strong enough to suppress them.
20 Jesus answered him, I spoke openly to the world; I always taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, where the Jews always gather; I have said nothing in secret. 21 Why do you ask me? Ask those that heard me what I said to them: look, they know what I said. 22 And when he had spoken this, one of the officers that stood by struck Jesus with the palm saying, Is this how you answer the high priest? 23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if good, why do you strike me? 24 Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.
- Jesus revealed nothing about His disciples. He protected them to the end.
- God has made His truth known openly to mankind from the beginning.
- At this trial of Jesus the Jews broke at least nine of the Jewish laws from the Mishna, their consolidation of commentaries on the Mosaic Law.
1.No one was to be judged with only one judge present (Annas first interrogated Jesus alone)
2.Capital cases must be tried by day and a verdict reached during the daytime, never at night ((Jesus was tried and the verdict rendered at night)
3.Capital cases must begin with reasons for acquittal (Jesus trial began with reasons for conviction)
4.Capital cases required special admonishment to tell the truth (Sanhedrin sought false testimony)
5.Cases punishable by death assumed witnesses would be called in defense (No witnesses were allowed in Jesus defense)
6.Contradictory witnesses cancelled each other’s testimony.
7.False witnesses were to suffer the penalty that the accused would have suffered if convicted
8.Judges with less seniority were to vote before judges with more seniority to prevent the older judges influencing the younger.
- The verdict for a capital trial could not be arrived at the same day of the trial to allow for thoughtful reflection. This shows that Jesus was just railroaded under the facade of a trial.
25 And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. Therefore they said to him, Are you not also one of his disciples? He denied it, and said I am not. 26 One of the servants of the high priest, being his relative whose ear Peter cut off said, Did I not see you in the garden with him? 27 Peter then denied again: and immediately the rooster crowed. 28 Then they led Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves did not go into the judgment hall, so they would not be defiled; so that they might eat the passover.
- They were killing God who is their Passover, and worried about getting defiled so they would be acceptable to Him? Could there be any greater defilement?
29 Pilate then went out to them and said, What accusation do you bring against this man? 30 They answered and said to him, If this one were not a criminal we would not have delivered him up to you. 31 Then said Pilate to them, Take him and judge him according to your law. So the Jews said to him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death: 32 That what Jesus said might be fulfilled when he said kind of death he would die. 33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again and called Jesus and said to him, Are you the King of the Jews? 34 Jesus answered him, Do you say this of yourself, or did others tell it to you of me?
- Notice His concern for Pilate’s soul in this question rather than for Himself.
35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered you to me: what have you done? 36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I not be delivered to the Jews: but now my kingdom is not from here.
37 Then Pilate said to him, Are you a king then? Jesus answered, You say that I am a king. To this end I was born, and for this I came into the world, to bear witness to the truth. Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. 38 Pilate said to him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, I find in him no crime at all.
- Every system claims to be the truth.
- Jesus is the truth and proved it by controlling nature, demons, walking on water, healing blind eyes and withered hands…by raising the dead…by coming back from the dead. No other has done these things.
- Psalm 103:19 The LORD has prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom rules over all.
- Daniel 2:44 And in the days of these kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom, that will never be destroyed: and the kingdom will not be left to other people, but it will break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it will stand for ever.
39 But you have a custom, that I release one to you at the passover: you decide then, do I release to you the King of the Jews? 40 Then they all cried saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber.
- The hearts of this world are so twisted that they would rather have a thief than the God who created them and loves them enough to die for them!
- This is us unless we turn to God and let Him work in our hearts through His word, His truth.
SUMMARY: John 15-18
- God is the gardener of our souls
- He empowers all our works
- Jesus love us as totally as the Father loves Him
- He has chosen us out of this world
- He sends us the Comforter from the Father
- Jesus prepared His disciples for what was to come
- The Father himself loves us
- Jesus overcame the world
- God gave Jesus all the power
- Jesus revealed the Father to us
- We are His
- He desires that we be One with them as He is One with the Father
- He sends us as the Father sent Him
- He has given us His glory