He announces the good news of the kingdom
He heals of evil spirits and infirmities
1 Afterwards, he went throughout every city and village, preaching and announcing the good news of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him, 2 and certain women, who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, 3 and Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others, who ministered to him of their substance. 4 And when many people were gathered together, and came to him out of every city, he spoke by a parable: 5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trampled down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. 6 And some fell on a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away, because it lacked moisture. 7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. 8 And other fell on good ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit a hundredfold. And when he had said these things, he cried out, He that has ears to hear let him hear.
- God wants mankind to hear His message to us.
- In God’s word we have the only message that will last past this life and forever.
- There is no better news. Heaven free, forever, for all who believe.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
9 And his disciples asked him, saying, What does this parable mean? 10 And he said, To you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. 11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, so they not believe and be saved. 13 Those on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; but they have no root, who for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. 14 And that which fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. 15 But those on the good ground are the ones who in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.
- Patience is the word ‘hupomone’ meaning to stay under, holding tightly to God’s word in trouble.
- God has given His people to know the mysteries of His kingdom. These mysteries are scattered throughout His word, hidden from those who do not want to know their Maker.
- The seed is the word of God.
- The contents of the talents in the parables of the talents is the truth about God, His love, His salvation, His healing word to all hearts.
16 No man, when he has lit a candle, covers it with a bowl, or puts it under a bed; but sets it on a lamp stand so that those who enter in may see the light. 17 For nothing is secret, that will not be revealed; nothing is hidden that will not be known and come to light. 18 So take care how you listen: for whoever has, to him will be given; and whoever does not have, from him will be taken even what he seems to have.
- If you accept God’s word He gives you more truth. If not, what you have is taken away.
- Romans 2:16 In the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
- John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke again to them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
19 Then his mother and his brothers came to him, and could not get to him because of the crowd. 20 And certain ones told him, Your mother and your brothers stand outside desiring to see you. 21 And he answered and said to them, My mother and my brothers are these who hear the word of God, and do it.
- Hearing and doing the word of God brings us into relationship with the eternal King of Kings.
- Spiritual ties are stronger and more enduring than ties of physical birth. They will last forever but physical connections to others end at death.
Jesus controls nature
22 Now it happened on a certain day that he went into a boat with his disciples: and he said to them, Let’s go over to the other side of the lake; so they launched. 23 But as they sailed he fell asleep: and a storm of wind came down on the lake; and the boat was filled with water, and they were in danger. 24 And they came to him and woke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he got up, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they stopped, and there was a calm. 25 And he said to them, Where is your faith? And they, being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What kind of man is this! For he commands even the winds and water, and they obey him.
- Jesus made the winds and the sea. All of the universe is at His command. That is what His title LORD means.
- Hearing God’s word increases faith.
- John 1:3 All things were made by him; without him was not any thing made that was made.
- Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.9 He spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.
- Romans 10:17 faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
26 And they arrived at the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee. 27 And when he went out to land a certain man met him out of the city who had devils a long time. He wore no clothes and did not live in a house, but in the tombs. 28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What do I have to do with you, Jesus, Son of God most high? I beg you, do not torment me. 29 (For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For often it caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and shackles; and he broke the shackles, and was driven by the devil into the wilderness.) 30 And Jesus asked him, saying, What is your name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
- A legion was a military regiment—3,000 to 6,000 men in ancient times.
- Just as Jesus cast the moneychangers out of the temple and cast these demons out of a man, so His word when we learn it and believe it casts all the wrong thinking out of our hearts.
- When we don’t think it, then we won’t do it. Telling people to clean up their act doesn’t clean up the heart.
- John 15:3 Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
31 And they begged him that he would not command them to go out into the abyss. 32 And there was in that place a herd of many pigs feeding on the mountain: and they begged him that he would allow them to enter into them. And he allowed them. 33 Then the devils went out of the man, and entered into the pigs: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake and were choked.
- Pork was forbidden to the Jews. This was an illegal pork bootlegging operation.
- Notice that Jesus is LORD of all; He controls these devils.
- The abyss is the dwelling place of imprisoned demons (Revelation 9:1-21).
- The demons imprisoned there can be read about in Genesis 6:1-6, Jude 1:6.
- The demons begged Jesus not to send them there. It’s torment according to the devil speaking in verse 28.
- No parties are happening in hell. Luke 16:28 says the torment is fire.
God does great things for us
34 When those that fed them saw what had happened, they fled, and went and told it in the city and in the country. 35 Then they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the man, out of whom the devils had departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. 36 Also those who saw it told them how he that was possessed of the devils was healed. 37 Then the whole multitude of the country of the Gadarenes round about pleaded with him to depart from them; for they were seized with great fear: and he went up into the ship and turned back again. 38 Now the man out of whom the devils departed asked him that he might be with him: but Jesus sent him away, saying, 39 Return to your own house, and show what great things God has done to you. And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done to him.
- Psalm 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: 3 Who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases; 4 Who redeems your life from destruction; who crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercies
Just touching Him heals
40 And it happened that when Jesus returned, the people gladly received him: for they were all waiting for him. 41 And behold, a man named Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue came and he fell down at Jesus’ feet, and begged him that he would come to his house: 42 For he had only one daughter, about twelve years of age, and she lay dying. But as he went the people thronged him. 43 And a woman having a hemorrhage for twelve years, who had spent all her living on physicians, and could not be healed by anyone, 44 came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her hemorrhage stopped. 45 And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and those that were with him said, Master, the multitude crowds you and jostles you and you ask, Who touched me? 46 And Jesus said, Somebody has touched me: for I perceive that power has gone out of me. 47 And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling and fell down before him, she declared to him before all the people the reason she had touched him and how she was healed immediately. 48 And he said to her, Daughter, be of good comfort: your faith has made you whole; go in peace.
- Jesus called her daughter. She is part of His eternal family.
- Romans 10:17 faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
He raises the dead
49 While he still spoke, one came from the ruler of the synagogue’s house, saying to him, Your daughter has died; do not trouble the Master. 50 But when Jesus heard it, he answered him, saying, Do not fear: only believe, and she will be made whole. 51 And when he came into the house, he allowed no man to go in except Peter, James, John, and the father and the mother of the maiden. 52 And all wept and wailed for her: but he said, Stop weeping; she is not dead, but asleep. 53 And they began laughing at him, knowing that she was dead. 54 And he put them all out, and took her by the hand, and called saying, Maid, Get up. 55 And her spirit came again, and she arose immediately: and he commanded to give her food. 56 And her parents were astonished: but he charged them that they tell no man what was done.
- Revelation 1:18 I am he that lives, and was dead; and behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.
- 1Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ will rise first: 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so will we ever be with the Lord.
- John 10:28 And I give to them eternal life; and they will never perish, neither will any man pluck them out of my hand.
He gave His disciples power over all evil and sickness
1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. 2 And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick. 3 And he said to them, Take nothing for your journey, no staff, or scrip, no bread or money; neither have two coats each. 4 And whatever house you enter, stay there, and depart from there. 5 And whoever will not receive you, when you go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them. 6 And they departed, and went through the towns, preaching the gospel, and healing everywhere.
- Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that does not gather with me scatters abroad.
7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by him and he was perplexed, because some said that that John had been raised from the dead; 8 And some, that Elijah had appeared; and others, that one of the old prophets rose again. 9 And Herod said, I beheaded John but who is this, of whom I hear such things? And he desired to see him. 10 And the apostles, when they returned, told him all that they had done. And he took them, and went aside privately into a desert place belonging to the city called Bethsaida. 11 And the people, when they knew it, followed him and he received them, and spoke to them of the kingdom of God, and healed those that needed healing.
- Psalm 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. 3 Who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases; 4 Who redeems your life from destruction; who crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercies.
12 And when the day was ending, then the twelve came and said to him, Let the crowd go, that they may go into the towns and farms around, and lodge, and find food, for we are here in a deserted place. 13 But he said to them, You give them to eat. And they said, We only have five loaves and two fishes; unless we go and buy food for all these people. 14 For there were about five thousand men. And he said to his disciples, Make them sit down by fifties in a company. 15 And they did so, and made them all recline. 16 Then he took the five loaves and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed them, and broke, and gave to the disciples to set before the crowd. 17 And they ate, and were all filled and there was taken up twelve baskets of the remaining fragments.
- Add the families of these 5,000 men and you have from 10,000 to 50,000 people or more.
18 And it happened, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him and he asked them, saying, Who do the crowds say that I am? 19 Answering they said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elijah; and others say that one of the old prophets has risen again. 20 He said to them, But whom do you say that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God. 21 And he strictly warned them, and ordered them to tell this to no one; 22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.
- John 11:25 Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believes in me, though he were dead, yet he will live
23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. 24 For whoever will save his life will lose it but whoever will lose his life for my sake, the same will save it. 25 For what does a man profit if he gains the whole world, but loses himself or is cast away?
- The battle between man’s pride and God’s authority has raged since Eden.
- God did not make man to be the central focus of life. Man didn’t create the universe; man doesn’t sustain the universe. God is life.
- If our thoughts center on ourselves we make our own misery. If they center on God, we live in joy.
- That is why the first and great command it so love God with all our being (Matthew 22:37, 38). That is the place of happiness.
- Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
- Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore your eye/focus is single, your whole body will be full of light.
26 For whoever will be ashamed of me and of my words, of him the Son of man will be ashamed when he comes in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you a truth, there are some standing here that will not taste of death until they see the kingdom of God. 28 And it came to pass about eight days after these sayings, he took Peter,John, and James, and went up into a mountain to pray. 29 And as he prayed, the appearance of his face became different, and his clothing was dazzling white. 30 and behold, two men talked with him there, who were Moses and Elijah, 31 who, appearing in glory, and spoke of his exodus which he was about to finish at Jerusalem.
- The best event in history is still ahead of us.
- Ezekiel described the glory of God.
- Luke 17:24 For as the lightning, that flashes out of the one part under heaven, shines unto the other part under heaven; so will also the Son of man be in his day.
- Ezekiel 1:26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and on the throne was the likeness of a man above upon it. 27 And I saw as the color of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from his loins upward, and from his loins downward, I saw the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. 28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD.
32 But Peter and those that were with him were heavy with sleep and when they awakened, they saw his glory, and the two men standing with him. 33 And as they departed from him, Peter said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us make three tabernacles; one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah, not knowing what he said. 34 While he said this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were afraid as they entered into the cloud. 35 And a voice came out of the cloud saying, This is my beloved Son, hear him.
36 And when the voice was past, Jesus was found alone. And they were quiet at that time and told no one what they had seen. 37 And it happened that on the next day, coming down from the mountain, a large crowd met him. 38 And behold, a man from the crowd cried out saying, Teacher, I beg you to look at my son for he is my only child. 39 And behold, a spirit takes him, and he suddenly cries out; and it convulses him with foam, and with pain departs from him, bruising him. 40 And I begged your disciples to cast it out; but they could not. 41 And Jesus answering said, O faithless and perverted generation, how long will I be with you, and put up with you? Bring your son here. 42 And as he was coming, the demon tore him and violently convulsed him. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and gave him back to his father. 43 And all were astounded at the majesty of God. But while they marveled at the things Jesus did, he said to his disciples, 44 Let these sayings sink down into your ears for the Son of man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men.
- Soon He would be arrested and killed for their sins.
- Jesus wanted them to remember the vision of His future glory, to remember the power of His Father, and not be afraid.
- Job 5:9 Who does great things and unsearchable; marvelous things without number
He came to save us
45 But they did not understand this saying. It was veiled from them, so that they did not perceive it and they were afraid to ask him about that saying. 46 Then an argument came among them about who among them was the greatest. 47 And Jesus, having seen the argument of their heart, took a child, and stood it beside by him, 48 And said to them, Who ever receives this child in my name receives me and whoever receives me receives him that sent me for the one who is least among all of you, this one is great. 49 And answering, John said, Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name; and we forbid him, because he does not follow with us. 50 And Jesus said to him, Do not forbid him for he that is not against us is for us. 51 And it happened when the time came for him to be received up, he steadfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, 52 And sent messengers before his face and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to prepare for him. 53 And they did not receive him, because his face was going to Jerusalem. 54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them like Elijah did? 55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, You do not know what spirit you are of.
56 For the Son of man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
57 And as they went along the way, a certain man said to him, Lord, I will follow you wherever you go. 58 And Jesus said to him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head. 59 And he said to another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father. 60 Jesus said to him, Let the dead bury their dead but you go and announce the kingdom of God. 61 And another also said, Lord, I will follow you; but first allow me to take leave of those in my house. 62 And Jesus said to him, No one, putting his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.
- Daniel 7:14 And he was given dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom that will not be destroyed.
- Psalm 93:1 The LORD reigns, he is clothed with majesty; the LORD is clothed with strength…
SUMMARY: Luke 8-9
- Jesus announces the good news of the kingdom
- He heals of evil spirits and infirmities
- Jesus controls nature
- God does great things for us
- Just touching Him heals
- He raises the dead
- He gave His disciples power over all evil and sickness
- Jesus is the beloved, majestic Son of the Eternal Father
- He came to save us