1 Now those who placed their seal on the document were: Nehemiah the governor, the son of Hacaliah, Zedekiah, 2 Seraiah, Azariah, Jeremiah, 3 Pashhur, Amariah, Malchijah, 4 Hattush, Shebaniah, Malluch, 5 Harim, Meremoth, Obadiah, 6 Daniel, Ginnethon, Baruch, 7 Meshullam, Abijah, Mijamin, 8 Maaziah, Bilgai, and Shemaiah. These were the priests. 9 The Levites: Jeshua the son of Azaniah, Binnui of the sons of Henadad, and Kadmiel. 10 Their brethren: Shebaniah, Hodijah, Kelita, Pelaiah, Hanan, 11 Micha, Rehob, Hashabiah,12 Zaccur, Sherebiah, Shebaniah, 13 Hodijah, Bani, and Beninu.14 The leaders of the people: Parosh, Pahath-Moab, Elam, Zattu, Bani, 15 Bunni, Azgad, Bebai,16 Adonijah, Bigvai, Adin, 17 Ater, Hezekiah, Azzur,18.Hodijah, Hashum, Bezai, 19 Hariph, Anathoth, Nebai, 20 Magpiash, Meshullam, Hezir, 21 Meshezabel, Zadok, Jaddua, 22 Pelatiah, Hanan, Anaiah, 23 Hoshea, Hananiah, Hasshub, 24 Hallohesh, Pilha, Shobek, 25 Rehum, Hashabnah, Maaseiah, 26 Ahijah, Hanan, Anan, 27 Malluch, Harim, and Baanah. 28 Now the rest of the people—the priests, the Levites, the gatekeepers, the singers, the Nethinim, and all those who had separated themselves from the peoples of the lands to the Law of God, their wives, their sons, and their daughters, everyone who had knowledge and understanding, 29 these joined with their brothers, their nobles, and entered into a curse and an oath to walk in God's Law, which was given by Moses the servant of God, and to observe and do all the commandments of the LORD our Lord, and His ordinances and His statutes:
- These men signed a covenant of obedience to God’s stated law.
- Galatians 3:24 the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
30 We would not give our daughters as wives to the peoples of the land, or take their daughters for our sons; 31 if the peoples of the land brought goods or any grain to sell on the sabbath day, we would not buy it from them on the sabbath, or on a holy day; and we would forego the seventh year's produce and the exacting of every debt. 32 Also we made ordinances for ourselves, to exact from ourselves yearly one-third of a shekel for the service of the house of our God: 33 for the showbread, for the regular grain offering, for the regular burnt offering of the Sabbaths, the New Moons, and the set feasts; for the holy things, for the sin offerings to make atonement for Israel, and all the work of the house of our God.
- A shekel is ten penny weights English so a 1/3 of a shekel is between 3-4 penny weights English.
- The showbread was about fellowship with God—the bread of the face of His presence.
- The burnt offering showed that our judgment was complete in Him. He took judgment for our sin in our place.
- Romans 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
34 We cast lots among the priests, the Levites, and the people, for bringing the wood offering to the house of our God, according to our fathers' houses, at the appointed times year by year, to burn on the altar of the LORD our God as it is written in the Law. 35 And we made ordinances to bring the firstfruits of our ground and the firstfruits of all fruit of all trees, year by year, to the house of the LORD; 36 to bring the firstborn of our sons and our cattle, as it is written in the Law, and the firstborn of our herds and our flocks, to the house of our God, to the priests who minister in the house of our God; 37 to bring the first fruits of our dough, our offerings, the fruit from all kinds of trees, the new wine and oil, to the priests, to the storerooms of the house of our God; and to bring the tithes of our land to the Levites, for the Levites to receive the tithes in all our farming communities. 38 And the priest, the descendant of Aaron, are to be with the Levites when the Levites receive tithes; and the Levites are to bring up a tenth of the tithes to the house of our God, to the rooms of the storehouse. 39 For the children of Israel and the children of Levi will bring the offering of the grain, of the new wine and the oil, to the storerooms where the articles of the sanctuary are, where the priests who minister and the gatekeepers and the singers are; we will not neglect the house of our God.
- Tithes and offerings are gifts to God.
- They are deposits into eternal accounts: God’s interest rate is astounding.
- Matthew 19:29 And every one that has forsaken houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, will receive an hundredfold, and will inherit everlasting life.
- Psalm 11:4 The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD's throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men.
- Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that you might be filled with all the fullness of God.
1 The rulers of the people dwelt at Jerusalem: and the rest of the people cast lots to bring one of ten to dwell in Jerusalem, the holy city, and nine parts to dwell in other cities. 2 The people blessed all the men that willingly offered themselves to dwell at Jerusalem.
- Casting lots allowed God to decide who came to live in the capital city of the nation of Israel, Jerusalem.
- This method was also used Joshua’s day to divide the land.
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and do not lean unto your own understanding.
3 Now these are the leaders of the provinces that dwelt in Jerusalem: but in the cities of Judah every one lived in his possession in their cities, that is, Israel, the priests, the Levites, the Nethinims, and the children of Solomon's servants. 4 Certain ones from the children of Judah lived at Jerusalem, and from the children of Benjamin. From the children of Judah: Athaiah, the son of Uzziah, the son of Zechariah, the son of Amariah, the son of Shephatiah, the son of Mahalaleel, of the children of Perez: 5 And Maaseiah the son of Baruch, the son of Colhozeh, the son of Hazaiah, the son of Adaiah, the son of Joiarib, the son of Zechariah, the son of Shiloni. 6 All the sons of Perez that lived at Jerusalem were 468 valiant men. 7 And these are the sons of Benjamin: Sallu, the son of Meshullam, the son of Joed, the son of Pedaiah, the son of Kolaiah, the son of Maaseiah, the son of Ithiel, the son of Jesaiah. 8 And after him Gabbai and Sallai, 928. 9 And Joel, the son of Zichri was their overseer: and Judah, the son of Senuah, was second over the city. 10 Of the priests: Jedaiah, the son of Joiarib and Jachin. 11 Seraiah the son of Hilkiah, the son of Meshullam, the son of Zadok, the son of Meraioth, the son of Ahitub, was the ruler of the house of God.
- Hebrews 10:19-21 Having boldness to enter into the holiest place by the blood of Jesus, 20 By a new and living way which he has consecrated for us through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
12 And their brothers that did the work of the house were 822: and Adaiah the son of Jeroham, the son of Pelaliah, the son of Amzi, the son of Zechariah, the son of Pashur, the son of Malchiah, 13 and his brothers, heads of the fathers, 242: and Amashai, the son of Azareel, the son of Ahasai, the son of Meshillemoth, the son of Immer, 14 and their brothers, 128 valiant warriors: and their overseer was Zabdiel, the son of one of the great men. 15 Also from the Levites: Shemaiah, the son of Hashub, the son of Azrikam, the son of Hashabiah, the son of Bunni; 16 Shabbethai and Jozabad, from the heads of the Levites, had the oversight of the outward business of the house of God.
- 1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, for you know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.
17 And Mattaniah, the son of Micha, the son of Zabdi, the son of Asaph, was the leader in beginning the thanksgiving in prayer: and Bakbukiah, the second among his brothers, and Abda, the son of Shammua, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun. 18 All the Levites in the holy city were 284. 19 Moreover the gatekeepers, Akkub, Talmon, and their brothers that kept the gates were 172. 20 And the rest of Israel, of the priests, and the Levites, were in all the cities of Judah, every one in his inheritance. 21 But the Nethinims lived in the Tower, and Ziha and Gispa were over the Nethinims. 22 The overseer of the Levites at Jerusalem was Uzzi the son of Bani, the son of Hashabiah, the son of Mattaniah, the son of Micha. From the sons of Asaph, the singers were over the business of the house of God. 23 For it was the king's commandment concerning them that a certain portion be for the singers, due for every day.
- The king had commanded support for the music ministry.
24 And Pethahiah, the son of Meshezabeel, of the children of Zerah, the son of Judah, was at the king's hand in all matters concerning the people. 25 And for the villages, with their fields, some of the children of Judah lived at Kirjath-arba, and in its villages and at Dibon, and in its villages, and at Jekabzeel, and in its villages, 26 and at Jeshua, and at Moladah, and at Bethphelet, 27 and at Hazar-shual, and at Beersheba, and in its villages, 28 and at Ziklag, and at Mekonah, and in its villages, 29 and at Enrimmon, and at Zareah, and at Jarmuth, 30 Zanoah, Adullam, and in their villages, at Lachish, and its fields, at Azekah, and in its villages. And they lived from Beersheba to the valley of Hinnom. 31 Also the children of Benjamin from Geba dwelt at Michmash, Aija, Bethel, and in their villages, 32 and at Anathoth, Nob, Ananiah, 33 Hazor, Ramah, Gittaim, 34 Hadid, Zeboim, Neballat, 35 Lod, and Ono, the valley of craftsmen. 36And divisions of the Levites were in Judah, and in Benjamin.
- This was God’s nation on earth and the city of the Great King.
- In this He has given us an illustration of setting things in proper order.
- God brings us eternally to dwell with Him forever in an astonishing place (Revelation 21:9-27).
- 1 Corinthians 14:33 God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
- Psalm 48:2 Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.
SUMMARY: Nehemiah 10-11
- God lists His servants
- He chooses the best for us