The LORD does not allow the soul of the righteous to hunger
1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son makes a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother. 2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivers from death. 3 The LORD will not allow the soul of the righteous to hunger: but he casts away the wicked for their wickedness.
- This speaks of physical food as well as food for the heart of man.
- John 6:35 And Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life: he that comes to me will never hunger; and he that believes on me will never thirst.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from those that walk uprightly.
4 He becomes poor that deals with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent makes rich. 5 He that gathers in summer is a wise son: but he that sleeps in harvest is a son that causes shame. 6 Blessings are on the head of the just: but violence covers the mouth of the wicked. 7 The memory of the just is blessed: but the name of the wicked will rot. 8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a babbling fool will fall. 9 He that walks uprightly walks securely: but he that perverts his ways will be known. 10 He that winks with the eye causes sorrow: but a babbling fool will be thrust away. 11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covers the mouth of the wicked. 12 Hatred stirs up strife: but love covers all sins.
- Isaiah 44:22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, your transgressions, and, as a cloud, your sins: return to me; for I have redeemed you.
- John 15:13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
- 1Peter 1:18 you know that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your empty life received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
13 Wisdom is found in the lips of him that has understanding: but a rod is for the back of him that lacks understanding/heart. 14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction. 15 The rich man’s wealth is his strong city: the destruction of the poor is their poverty. 16 The labor of the righteous tends to life: the fruit of the wicked to sin. 17 He is in the way of life that guards instruction: but he that refuses reproof goes astray. 18 He that hides hatred with lying lips, and he that utters slander, is a fool. 19 In the abundance of words there is no lack of sin: but he that refrains his lips is wise. 20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth. 21 The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for lack of wisdom/heart.
God's blessing makes rich; He adds no sorrow with it
22 The blessing of the LORD, it makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it. 23 It is as sport to a fool to do wickedness: but a man of understanding has wisdom. 24 The fear of the wicked, it will come upon him: but the desire of the righteous will be granted. 25 As the whirlwind passes, so the wicked is no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation. 26 As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him. 27 The fear of the LORD adds days: but the years of the wicked will be shortened. 28 The hope of the righteous will be gladness: but the expectation of the wicked will perish.
Psalm 91:1 He that dwells in the secret place of the most High will abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. 16 With long life I will satisfy him, and show him my salvation.
of the Lord is strength to the upright
29 The way of the LORD is strength to the upright: but destruction will be to the workers of iniquity. 30 The righteous will never be removed: but the wicked will not inhabit the earth. 31 The mouth of the just brings forth wisdom: but the perverse tongue will be cut out. 32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaks twisted things.
- The first and great command needs to
be our first and great priority. Then we are upright. It is done by His power from His Holy Spirit.
- Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, You are to love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.
- Jude 1:24 Now to him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
- 1Peter 5:10 the God of all grace, who has called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that you have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you.
God hates dishonest dealings; He delights in honesty
1 A deceitful balance is an abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight. 2 When pride comes, then comes shame: but with the lowly is wisdom. 3 The integrity of the upright will guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors will destroy them. 4 Riches do not profit in the day of wrath: but righteousness delivers from death. 5 The righteousness of the perfect will rectify his way: but the wicked will fall by his own wickedness.
- It is not God’s desire that any fall.
- We do it to ourselves by choosing what God considers wrong.
- There is a good that seems right but leaves God out.
- That is not good. It is from evil and leads to death.
- True good acknowledges and listens to ones Maker.
- God has the right to be acknowledged and obeyed because all that we are and have comes from Him.
- Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory forever. Amen.
6 The righteousness of the upright will deliver them: but the treacherous will be caught by their own greed. 7 When a wicked man dies, his expectation will perish: and the hope of unjust men perishes. 8 The righteous is delivered out of trouble, and the wicked comes in his place. 9 A hypocrite destroys his neighbor with his mouth: but through knowledge the just will be delivered. 10 When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices: and when the wicked perish, there is shouting. 11 By the blessing of the upright the city is exalted: but the mouth of the wicked overthrows it. 12 He that is destitute of heart despises his neighbor: but a man of understanding holds his peace.
- God wants to fill mans destitute heart with His joy, love, and glory.
- Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that you might be filled with all the fullness of God.
13 A talebearer reveals secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit conceals the matter. 14 Where there is no guidance the people fall: but safety is in a great counselor. 15 He that is guarantor for a stranger/foreigner will suffer for it: and he that hates being a guarantor is safe. 16 A gracious woman retains honor: and strong men retain riches. 17 The merciful man does good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubles his own flesh. 18 The wicked works a deceitful work: but to him that sows righteousness will be a sure reward. 19 As righteousness tends to life: so he that pursues evil pursues it to his own death.
- Psalm 58:11 So that a man will say, truly there is a reward for the righteous; truly he is a God that judges in the earth.
20 They that are of a perverse heart are an abomination to the LORD: but such as are upright in their way are his delight. 21 Though hand join in hand, the wicked will not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous will be delivered. 22 As a jewel of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a beautiful woman who departs from discretion. 23 The desire of the righteous is only good: but the expectation of the wicked is wrath.
- A ‘perverse’ heart is stubbornly disobedient and contrary.
- Gratitude and love for our Creator, loving Him first is the first part of uprightness.
- Loving anything more than God is
idolatry. He made everything we love.
- Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, You will love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.
24 There is one who scatters, and yet increases; and there is one who withholds what is justly due, but it tends to poverty. 25 The soul of blessing will be made fat: and he that waters will be watered himself. 26 He that withholds grain, the people will curse him: but blessing will be on the head of him that sells it. 27 He that diligently seeks good procures favor: but he that seeks evil, it will come to him. 28 He that trusts in his riches will fall: but the righteous will flourish as a branch.
- Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and do not lean unto your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths.
29 He that troubles his own house will inherit the wind: and the fool will be servant to the wise of heart. 30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that wins souls is wise. 31 Behold, the righteous will be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner.
The LORD favors the good; He condemns those who choose evil
1 Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge: but he that hates correction is stupid. 2 A good man obtains favor of the LORD: but he will condemn a man of wicked devices. 3 A man will not be established by wickedness: but the root of the righteous will not be moved.
God keeps the life of the righteous stable
4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that makes ashamed is as rottenness in his bones. 5 The thoughts of the righteous are right: but the counsels of the wicked are deceit. 6 The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright will deliver them. 7 The wicked are overthrown, and are not: but the house of the righteous will stand. 8 A man will be commended according to his wisdom: but he that is of a perverse heart will be despised. 9 He that is despised, and has a servant, is better than he that honors himself, and lacks bread. 10 A righteous man regards the life of his animal: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. 11 He that tills his land will be satisfied with bread: but he that follows vain persons is void of understanding.
- Life comes from God.
- To not seek God is to invite death.
- Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
12 The wicked desires the fortress of evil: but the root of the righteous yields fruit. 13 The wicked is snared by the transgression of his lips: but the just will come out of trouble. 14 A man will be satisfied with good by the fruit of his mouth: and the repayment of a man’s hands will be rendered to him. 15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that listens to counsel is wise.
- The best counsel on earth comes from God’s word.
- God’s advice is eternal.
- The ways He leads us will keep getting better and better, forever.
- Isaiah 9:6 and his name will be called wonderful Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
16 A fool’s wrath is known presently/in that day: but a prudent man covers shame. 17 He that speaks truth shows righteousness: but a false witness deceit. 18 There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health. 19 The lip of truth will be established forever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
- The tongue of the wise leads to God’s path.
- The lip of truth speaks God’s words of truth.
- They will be established forever because His word is eternal.
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
20 Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counselors of peace is joy.
- Man has peace when he is joined back to God.
- In Eden man and God were joined.
- Man broke the bond by disobedience.
- Man returns by choice to God.
- The two trees of Eden represent the freewill that God has given us.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.
- Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
21 No evil will happen to the just: but the wicked will be filled with trouble.
- Who is just?
- Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up his eyes to heaven, but struck his chest, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalts himself will be abased; and he that humbles himself will be exalted.
- 2 Corinthians 5:7 (we walk by faith, not by sight:)
Lies are an abomination to God; He delights in those who deal rightly
22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight. 23 A prudent man conceals knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaims foolishness. 24 The hand of the diligent will bear rule: but the slothful will be under tribute. 25 Heaviness in the heart of man makes it stoop: but a good word makes it glad.
- Hebrews 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
26 The righteous is more excellent than his neighbor: but the way of the wicked seduces them. 27 The slothful man does not roast what he took in hunting: but the substance of a diligent man is precious. 28 In the way of righteousness is life; and in its pathway there is no death.
- Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law he meditates day and night. 3 And he will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also will not wither; and whatever he does will prosper. 4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff that the wind drives away. 5 Therefore the ungodly will not stand in the judgment, or sinners in the congregation of the righteous. 6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly will perish.
1 A wise son hears his father’s instruction: but a scorner does not listen to rebuke. 2 A man will eat good by the fruit of his mouth: but the soul of the transgressors will eat violence. 3 He that guards his mouth guards his life: but he that opens wide his lips will have destruction.
- Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
4 The soul of the sluggard desires, and has nothing: but the soul of the diligent will be made fat. 5 A righteous man hates lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and comes to shame. 6 Righteousness guards him that is upright in the way: but wickedness overthrows the sinner. 7 There is one that pretends to be rich, yet has nothing: there is one that pretends to be poor, yet has great riches. 8 The ransom of a man’s life are his riches: but the poor do not hear rebuke. 9 The light of the righteous rejoices: but the lamp of the wicked will be put out. 10 Only by pride comes strife: but with the well advised is wisdom. 11 Wealth gotten by vanity will be diminished: but he that gathers by labor will increase. 12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick: but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life.
- Pride sets itself up above God and His will at any given moment rather than seeking God and His will.
- Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
God's word preserves from destruction and brings reward
13 Whoever despises the word will be destroyed: but he that fears the commandment will be rewarded.
- Psalm 107:10 …being bound in affliction and iron 11 because they rebelled against the words of God.
14 The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death. 15 Good understanding gives favor: but the way of transgressors is hard. 16 Every prudent man deals with knowledge: but a fool spreads his folly. 17 A wicked messenger falls into adversity: but a faithful ambassador is health. 18 Poverty and shame will be to him that refuses instruction: but he that regards reproof will be honored. 19 The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul: but it is an abomination to fools to depart from evil. 20 He that walks with wise men will be wise: but a companion of fools will be broken. 21 Evil pursues sinners: but to the righteous good will be rewarded with prosperity. 22 A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.
- Our heavenly Father’s inheritance for us is fabulous beyond imagining.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I overcame, and have set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
23 Much food is in the tillage of the poor: but there is he that is destroyed for lack of judgment. 24 He that spares his rod hates his son: but he that loves him chastens him diligently. 25 The righteous eats to the satisfying of his soul: but the belly of the wicked will want/lack.
- The answer to world hunger is in this verse.
- God’s ways provide abundance.
- God disciplines those He loves.
- Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and discipline: be zealous therefore, and repent.
- Hebrews 12:6 For those whom the Lord loves he disciplines, and scourges every son whom he receives. 7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without discipline, of which all are partakers, then you are bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh who corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from those that walk uprightly.
SUMMARY: Proverbs 10-13
- The LORD does not allow the soul of the righteous to hunger
- God's blessing makes rich; He adds no sorrow with it
- The way of the LORD is strength to the upright
- God hates dishonest dealings; He delights in honesty
- The LORD favors the good; He condemns those who choose evil
- God keeps the life of the righteous stable
- Lies are an abomination to God; He delights in those who deal rightly
- God's word preserves from destruction and brings reward