The LORD’S love is great toward us; His truth endures forever
1 O praise the LORD, all you nations: praise him, all you people. 2 For his love is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD.
- God deserves our highest praise.
- He made all things.
- He gave us the highest honor of being made in His image.
- He sustains us. He blesses us. He died for us.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth.
1 O give thanks to the LORD; for he is good: because his love endures forever. 2 Let Israel now say that his love endures forever. 3 Let the house of Aaron now say that his love endures forever. 4 Let them that fear the LORD say that his love endures forever.
The LORD is on our
5 I called on the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place. 6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do to me? 7 The LORD takes my side with them that help me: therefore I will see my desire on them that hate me. 8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. 9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes. 10 All nations surrounded me: but in the name/person of the LORD I will cut them off.
- The nations surrounded him to destroy him.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, do not fear or be afraid of them: for the LORD your God, he it is that goes with you; he will not fail you, or forsake you.
11 They surrounded me; yes, they surrounded me: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them. 12 They surrounded me like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name/person of the LORD I will cut them down. 13 You have thrust sore at me that I might fall: but the LORD helped me. 14 The LORD is my strength and song, and has become my salvation.
- Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man will do unto me.
- Romans 8:31 What can we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
His right hand is exalted and does valiantly
15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD does valiantly. 16 The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD does valiantly. 17 I will not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD. 18 The LORD has disciplined me severely: but he has not given me over to death.
- God disciplines us because He loves us.
- Only the holy do not need discipline from their heavenly Father; only the perfect do not need discipline.
- Hebrews 12:6 For those whom the Lord loves he disciplines, and scourges every son whom he receives. 7 If you endure discipline, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father does not discipline? 8 But if you are without chastisement, of which all are partakers, then are you bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh that corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
- Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
19 Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD: 20This is the gate of the LORD, into which the righteous will enter. 21 I will praise you: for you have heard me, and have become my salvation. 22 The stone that the builders refused has become the head stone of the corner. 23 This is the LORD’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
- God’s Son came to earth and was rejected.
- He is the stone the builders rejected.
- The builders of God’s kingdom rejected God Himself.
- How horribly pride twists our hearts.
- That was the first coming of Jesus to earth.
- His next coming is near.
- He comes to claim ownership and rulership of this world from evil.
- Matthew 7:14 …strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leads unto life, and few there are that find it.
24 This is the day that the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. 25 Save now, I beg you, O LORD: O LORD, I beg you, send prosperity now. 26 Blessed is he that comes in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD. 27 God is the LORD, which has showed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar. 28 You are my God, and I will praise you: you are my God; I will exalt you. 29 O give thanks to the LORD; for he is good: for his love endures forever.
- God makes each day.
- He shows us light.
- Binding the sacrifice to the altar reminds us of God’s great love for us.
- God is so awesome and He loves us totally.
- If people on earth truly understood who God is and how much He loves us, they would be filled with wonder and joy all the time.
- Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
- John 1:9 That was the true Light which enlightens every man that comes into the world.
- John 8:12 Then spoke Jesus again to them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
- Psalm 34:9 O fear the LORD, you his saints: for there is no lack to them that fear him.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD. 2
Blessed are those that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with their whole heart. 3They do no iniquity: they walk in his ways. 4 You have commanded us to keep your precepts diligently. 5 O that my ways were directed to keep your statutes! 6 Then I would not be ashamed, when I respect all your commandments. 7 I will praise you with uprightness of heart, when I have learned the judgments of your righteousness. 8 I will keep your statutes: do not forsake me utterly.
Hebrews 13:5 Let your life be without covetousness; and be content with what things you have: for he has said, I will never leave you, or forsake you.
9 How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed to your word. 10 With my whole heart have I sought you: O do not let me wander from your commandments. 11 I have hid your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. 12 You are blessed, O LORD: teach me your statutes.
- “Blessed is an intense, divine happiness.’
- God’s title LORD means intense, eternal self-existence.
- God is the Source and sustainer of all things. He has all the power. He controls everything.
- John 15:3 Now you are clean through the word that I have spoken to you.
13 With my lips I have declared all the judgments of your mouth. 14 I have rejoiced in the way of your testimonies, as much as in all riches. 15 I will meditate in your precepts, and have respect to your ways. 16 I will delight myself in your statutes: I will not forget your word.
- God’s testimonies are the accounts of what God did in the lives of people in the scriptures.
- He made Abraham the father of many nations.
- He promised and fulfilled promises to Hagar and many people throughout history.
17 Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live, and keep your word. 18 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. 19 I am a foreigner in the earth: do not hide your commandments from me. 20 My soul breaks for the longing that it has to your judgments at all times. 21 You have rebuked the proud that are cursed, who err from your commandments.
- Like Adam, the proud bring the curse on themselves.
- God’s word is full of wonderful things beyond our imagining.
22 Remove from me reproach and contempt for I have kept your testimonies. 23 Princes sat and spoke against me: but your servant meditated in your statutes. 24 Your testimonies also are my delight and my counselors. 25 My soul clings to the dust: revive me according to word. 26 I have declared my ways, and you heard me: teach me your statutes. 27 Make me understand the way of your precepts: I will talk of your wondrous works. 28 My soul melts for heaviness: strengthen me according to your word. 29 Remove from me the way of lying: and grant me your law graciously. 30 I have chosen the way of truth: I have laid your judgments before me. 31 I have stuck to your testimonies: O LORD, do not put me to shame. 32 I will run the way of your commandments when you enlarge my heart.
- Psalm 72:18 Blessed is the LORD God, the God of Israel, who alone does wondrous things.
- Job 5:9 Who does great things and unsearchable; marvelous things without number:
33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. 34 Give me understanding, and I will keep your law; yes, I will observe it with my whole heart. 35 Make me to go in the path of your commandments; for in it I delight. 36 Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to covetousness.
- Colossians 3:5 Consider the members of your earthly body dead to fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
- Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
37 Turn away my eyes from looking at useless things; and revive me in your way. 38 Establish your word to your servant, who is devoted to your fear. 39 Turn away my reproach that I fear: for your judgments are good. 40 Behold, I have longed after your precepts: revive me in your righteousness. 41 Let your love come to me, O LORD, even your deliverance, according to your word.
- Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all those that do his commandments: his praise endures forever.
- Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
God shows man the pathway to freedom
42 And I will have an answer for him that reproaches me: for I trust in your word. 43 And do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in your judgments. 44 So I will keep your law continually forever and ever. 45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek your precepts.
- God gives freedom on earth to those who seek His precepts.
- Psalm 107:10 Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron; 11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, and despised the counsel of the most High:
46 I will speak of your testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed. 47 And I will delight myself in your commandments, which I have loved. 48 I will lift up my hands to your commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in your statutes. 49 Remember the word to your servant on which you have caused me to hope. 50 This is my comfort in my affliction: for your word has given me life.
- Meditating in God’s word gives us life and is the real secret to prosperity and success.
- Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law he meditates day and night. 3 He will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf will not wither; and whatever he does will prosper.
- Joshua 1:8 This book of the law will not depart out of your mouth; but you are to meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it: for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.
51 The proud have greatly mocked me: yet I have not turned away from your law. 52 I remembered your judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself. 53 Horror has taken hold of me because of the wicked that forsake your law. 54 Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage. 55 I have remembered your name/person, O LORD, in the night, and have kept your law. 56 This I had, because I kept your precepts. 57 You are my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep your words.
- Deuteronomy 32:9 For the LORD’s portion is his people…
58 I entreated your face with my whole heart: be merciful to me according to your word. 59 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet to your testimonies. 60 I hurried and did not delay to keep your commandments. 61 The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten your law. 62 At midnight I will rise to give thanks to you because of your righteous judgments. 63 I am a companion of all of those that fear you, and of them that keep your precepts.
The earth is full of the LORD’s love
64 The earth, O LORD, is full of your love: teach me your statutes. 65 You have dealt well with your servant, O LORD, according to your word. 66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed your commandments. 67 Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now I keep your word.
- The affliction that God allowed had a good result that will last for eternity.
- God is afflicted in all our afflictions. He feels all our pain.
- Isaiah 63:9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.
- Romans 8:28 we know that all things work together for good to those that love God, to those who are the called according to his purpose.
68 You are good, and do good; teach me your statutes. 69 The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep your precepts with my whole heart. 70 Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in your law. 71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn your statutes. 72 The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver.
It is impossible for God to do anything bad or evil
73 Your hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn your commandments. 74 They that fear you will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in your word. 75 I know, O LORD, that your judgments are right, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me. 76 I beg you, let your love be my comfort, according to your word to your servant. 77 Let your tender mercies come to me, that I may live: for your law is my delight. 78 Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: but I will meditate in your precepts. 79 Let those that fear you turn to me, and those that have known your testimonies. 80 Let my heart be complete in your statutes; that I not be ashamed.
- 2Timothy 2:15 Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
81 My soul faints for your salvation: but I hope in your word. 82 My eyes fail for your word saying, When will you comfort me? 83 For I have become like a bottle in the smoke; yet I do not forget your statutes. 84 How many are the days of your servant? When will you execute judgment on them that persecute me? 85 The proud have dug pits for me, which are not after your law. 86 All your commandments are faithful: they persecute me wrongfully; help me.
- God’s commandments are ALL faithful. They lead us to His gift of life and great reward.
- Psalm 19:11 Moreover by them is your servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
The Lord is faithful to all generations
87 They had almost consumed me on earth; but I did not forsake your precepts. 88 Give me life according to your love; then I will keep the testimony of your mouth. 89 Forever, O LORD, your word is settled in heaven. 90 Your faithfulness is to all generations: You established the earth, and it remains.
91 They continue this day according to your ordinances: for all are your servants.
- God’s message was originally written in the heavens by word-picture-signs. Virgo the virgin spoke of the virgin birth. The whole truth is out there, now distorted by man into astrology, leaving out the basic truth of God and His Son and our salvation.
- Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
- Matthew 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? For we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
92 Unless your law had been my delights, I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget your precepts: for with them you have given me life. 94 I am yours, save me; for I have sought your precepts. 95 The wicked have waited for me to destroy me: but I will consider your testimonies. 96 I have seen an end of all perfection: but your commandment is exceedingly spacious/broad/roomy. 97 O how love I your law! It is my meditation all the day. 98 You, through your commandments, have made me wiser than my enemies for it is ever with me.
- John 6:63 It is the spirit that gives life; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak to you, they are spirit, and they are life.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for your testimonies are my meditation. 100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep your precepts. 101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep your word. 102 I have not departed from your judgments: for you have taught me. 103 How sweet are your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
SUMMARY: Psalms 117-119:104
- The LORD’S love is great toward us; His truth endures forever
- The Lord is on our side
- His right hand is exalted and does valiantly
- God shows man the pathway to freedom
- The earth is full of the LORD’s love
- It is impossible for God to do anything bad or evil
- The Lord is faithful to all generations