104 Through your precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105 Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- God’s word is light because it is the word of the One who is light.
- 1John 1:5 ...God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
106 I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep your righteous judgments. 107 I am afflicted very much: revive me, O LORD, according to your word. 108 Accept, I beg you, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me your judgments. 109 My soul is continually in my hand: yet I do not forget your law. 110 The wicked have laid a trap for me: yet I did not err from your precepts. 111 I have taken your testimonies as a heritage forever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart. 112 I have inclined my heart to do your statutes always, even unto the end. 113 I hate vain thoughts: but I love your law.
He is our hiding place and our shield
114 You are my hiding place and my shield: I hope in your word. 115 Depart from me, you evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God. 116 Uphold me according to your word so that I may live: and do not let me be ashamed of my hope. 117 Hold me up, and I will be safe: and I will respect your statutes continually. 118 You have trampled down all those that err from your statutes: for their deceit is in vain (for nothing). 119 You put away all the wicked of the earth like waste/scum: therefore I love your testimonies. 120 My flesh trembles for fear of you; and I am afraid of your judgments. 121 I have done judgment and justice: do not leave me to my oppressors. 122 Be guarantor for your servant for good: do not let the proud oppress me.
- The guarantor is the one who assumes responsibility if we fail
123 My eyes fail for your salvation, and for the word of your righteousness. 124 Deal with your servant according to your love, and teach me your statutes. 125 I am your servant; give me understanding, that I may know your testimonies. 126 It is time for you, LORD, to work: for they have cancelled your law. 127 Truly I love your commandments above gold; yes, above fine gold. 128 Therefore I esteem all your precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way. 129 Your testimonies are wonderful: that is why my soul guards them.
- The entering of His words into our minds and hearts gives light and understanding
130 The entrance of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. 131 I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for your commandments. 132 Look upon me, and be merciful to me, as you used to do to those that love your name. 133 Order my steps in your word: and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me. 134 Deliver me from the oppression of man: so I will keep your precepts. 135 Make your face shine on your servant; and teach me your statutes. 136 Rivers of waters run down my eyes because they do not keep your law. 137 You are righteous, O LORD, and your judgments are upright. 138 Your testimonies that you have commanded are righteous and very faithful. 139 My zeal has consumed me, because my enemies have forgotten your words. 140 Your word is very pure: therefore your servant loves it. 141 I am small and despised: yet I do not forget your precepts. 142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and your law is the truth. 143 Trouble and anguish have taken hold of me: yet your commandments are my delights. 144 The righteousness of your testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I will live.
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through your truth: your word is truth.
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
145 I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O LORD: I will keep your statutes. 146 I cried to you; save me, and I will keep your testimonies. 147 I precede the dawning of the morning, and cry: I hope in your word. 148 My eyes precede/anticipate the night watches that I might meditate in your word. 149 Hear my voice according to your love: O LORD, revive me according to your judgment. 150 They draw near that follow after wickedness: they are far from your law. 151 You are near, O LORD; and all your commandments are truth. 152 Concerning your testimonies, I have known of old that you have founded them forever. 153 Consider my affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget your law. 154 Plead my cause, and deliver me: revive me according to your word. 155 Salvation is far from the wicked: for they do not seek your statutes.
- Deliverance from life’s difficulties is related to seeking God and His statutes.
- Eternal life is a gift of God received by faith (John 3:16).
His tender mercies are great; His righteous judgments endure forever
156 Great are your tender mercies, O LORD: revive me according to your judgments. 157 Many are my persecutors and my enemies; yet I do not decline from your testimonies. 158 I saw the transgressors, and was grieved because they did not keep your word. 159 Consider how I love your precepts: revive me, O LORD, according to your love. 160 Your word is true from the beginning: and every one of your righteous judgments endures forever.
- God’s first recorded judgment was the serpent in Eden.
- God’s last judgment is casting unbelievers into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:15).
161 Princes have persecuted me without a cause: but my heart stands in awe of your word. 162 I rejoice at your word, as one that finds great plunder. 163 I hate and abhor lying: but I love your law. 164 Seven times a day I praise you because of your righteous judgments. 165 They have great peace who love your law: and nothing will offend them.
- Notice the source of ‘great peace.’
- The Hebrew of ‘nothing will offend them’ is ‘they will have no stumbling block.’ Modern terms would say, nothing will trip them.
166 LORD, I have hoped for your salvation, and done your commandments. 167 My soul has kept your testimonies; and I love them exceedingly. 168 I have kept your precepts and your testimonies: for all my ways are before you. 169 Let my cry come near before you, O LORD: give me understanding according to your word. 170 Let my supplication come before you: deliver me according to your word. 171 My lips will utter praise when you have taught me your statutes 172 My tongue will speak of your word: for all your commandments are righteousness. 173 Let your hand help me for I have chosen your precepts. 174 I have longed for your salvation, O LORD; and your law is my delight. 175 Let my soul live, and it will praise you; let your judgments help me. 176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant; for I do not forget your commandments.
SUMMARY: Psalms 119:105-127
- He is our hiding place and our shield
- The entering of His words into our minds and hearts gives light and understanding
- His tender mercies are great; His righteous judgments endure forever
The LORD who is in charge over all things hears us
1 A song of degrees. 1 In my trouble I cried to the LORD, and he heard me. 2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
- God’s title Lord (Hebrew word Adonai) means controller of all things.
- It is an infinite blessing to us that the Maker of the all things, the universe, hears our prayers and answers.
- No one else is as faithful to us.
- Psalm 18:1 I will love you, O LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
He is for peace
3 What will be given unto you? Or what will be done to you, you false tongue? 4 Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper! 5 Woe is me, that I sojourned in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar! 6 My soul has long dwelt with him that hates peace. 7 I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war.
- Wars come from man.
- James 4:1 Where do wars and fightings among you come from? Do they not come from here, even of your lusts that war in your members?
- Judges 5:8 They chose new gods; then was war in the gates:
- Isaiah 26:12 LORD, you will ordain peace for us: for you have worked all our works in us.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world gives, I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid.
The ONE who made heaven and earth is our peace
0 A Song of degrees. 1 Shall I lift up my eyes unto the hills, where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the LORD who made heaven and earth.
- Idol shrines were in the hills.
- God’s help is the best help and often amazing.
- 1Kings 14:23 For they also built them high places, and images, and groves, on every high hill, and under every green tree.
- Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me, and I will answer your, and show your great and mighty things, which you do not know.
- 1Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things that God has prepared for them that love him.
- Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
3 He will not allow foot to be moved: he that protects you will not slumber. 4 Behold, he that guards Israel will not slumber or sleep. 5 The LORD is your guard: the LORD is your shade on your right hand. 6 The sun will not strike you by day or the moon by night.
He does not allow our foot to slip. He guards us and doesn’t sleep.
He preserves us from all evil
7 The LORD will preserve you from all evil: he will preserve your soul. 8 The LORD will preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
- God protects both body and soul from evil.
- God protects us in our all our comings and our goings.
God is worthy of our eternal gratitude
0 A Song of degrees of David. 1 I was glad when they said to me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. 2 Our feet will stand within your gates, O Jerusalem. 3 Jerusalem is built as a city that is compact together: 4 Where the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, to the testimony of Israel, to give thanks to the name/person of the LORD.
- Psalm 122 is a song about God’s house at Jerusalem.
- When God is in His house it is the most blessed place on earth because the giver of all life and blessing is there.
- God above all is worthy of our gratitude.
- He made us; He made us in His own image.
- He sustains our life.
- All things come from Him.
- He loves us so much that He sent His Son to die for our sins so that we might live eternally with Him in endless joy.
- Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
- Job 12:10 In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.
- Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory forever. Amen.
5 For there are set thrones of judgment, the thrones of the house of David. 6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they will prosper that love you. 7 Peace within your walls, and prosperity within your palaces. 8 For my brothers and companions’ sakes, I will now say, Peace be within you. 9 Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek your good.
- God has told us things to pray for in scripture. This is one of them.
- We are to pray for God’s city, His house, and His people.
- Don’t miss this promise for us of prosperity if we love God, His city, and His house.
- God has given all judgment to Jesus Christ.
- Ezekiel 1:26-28 speaks of God’s sapphire throne.
- John 5:22 For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment unto the Son:
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 1:6 And has made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
- John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
- Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God.
God dwells in the heavens
0 A Song of degrees. 1 I lift up my eyes to you, O You that dwells in the heavens. 2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden to the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait on the LORD our God, until he has mercy on us.
- When you look out into the night sky and see the heaven full of stars know that it is God’s dwelling place and not the home of nothing or the home of the creepy creatures of science fiction.
- 1Timothy 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
- Jeremiah 23:24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I will not see him? says the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? says the LORD.
3 Have mercy on us, O LORD, have mercy on us: for we are exceedingly filled with contempt. 4 Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud.
- Colossians 1:13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness, and has translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
- Psalm 57:10 your mercy is great unto the heavens, and your truth unto the clouds.
The LORD is on our side
0 A Song of degrees of David. 1 If it had not been the LORD who was on our side, now may Israel say; 2 If it had not been the LORD who was on our side, when men rose up against us: 3 Then they would have swallowed us up quick/alive, when their wrath burned against us: 4 Then the waters would have overwhelmed us, the stream would have gone over our soul: 5 Then the proud waters would have gone over our soul.
Multitudes of people in scripture are spoken of as waters (2 Samuel 22:5, Psalm 18:4).
Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
The Maker of heaven and earth helps us
6 Blessed be the LORD, who has not given us as a prey to their teeth. 7 Our soul has escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we have escaped. 8 Our help is in the name/person of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
‘Blessed’ means happy; with God ‘blessed’ is perfect eternal joy.
Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life: in your presence is fullness of joy; at your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
God surrounds His people as mighty mountains
0 A Psalm of degrees. 1 Those that trust in the LORD will be as mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abides forever. 2 As the mountains are around Jerusalem, so the LORD is around his people from now on even forever.
- The Lord is not around us in a ten foot perimeter but as the mountains are around Jerusalem…mighty, majestic and impassable.
- Faith in God brings unshakable stability and eternal permanence.
- Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD camps round about those that fear him, and delivers them.
3 For the rod of the wicked will not rest on the lot/land/inheritance of the righteous; lest the righteous put forth their hands to iniquity. 4 Do good, O LORD, to those that are good, and to those that are upright in their hearts. 5 And those who turn aside to their crooked ways, the LORD will lead them out with the workers of iniquity: but peace will be on Israel.
The upright are not people who are perfect. They are not without sin or fault but they are those who seek to follow God and learn of Him and His ways and seek to please Him.
1John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
God releases the captives of evil
0 A Song of degrees. 1 When the LORD turned the captivity of Zion, we were like those that dream. 2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then it was said among the heathen, The LORD has done great things for them.
Job was taken captive by unseen evil forces who brought disasters into his life, The children of Israel were taken captive into foreign lands at times for their idolatry. When their hearts returned to the one true God, He caused them to be released and returned home to their own country.
Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
3 The LORD has done great things for us; of which we are glad.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
4 Turn again our captivity, O LORD, as the streams in the south. 5 They that sow in tears will reap in joy. 6 He that goes out weeping, bearing precious seed, will definitely come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
The burden for souls of those lost and the persecution of giving out the Word of God in the devil’s world often brings tears. However, God’s word does not return to Him empty. The reaping and the joy come later after the word of God has had time to grow and produce fruit in the hearts of the hearers. God’s word brings results; it defeats evil in man’s heart.
Isaiah 55:11 So will my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but it will accomplish what I please, and it will prosper in the thing I sent it to do.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
God needs to be in charge of all that we do otherwise it is for nothing
0 A Song of degrees for Solomon. 1 Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in for nothing that build it: unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman wakes but in for nothing.
John 15:5 I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.
Isaiah 26:12 LORD, you will ordain peace for us: for you also have worked all our works in us.
He gives His beloved sleep
2 It is useless for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he gives his beloved sleep.
Notice who His beloved is—you! We are His beloved. He gives us sleep.
Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD has appeared of old to me, saying, Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn you.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him not perish, but have everlasting life.
The Lord gives the heritage of children as a reward
3 Behold, children are an inheritance from the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that has his quiver full of them: they will not be ashamed, but they will speak with the enemies in the gate.
SUMMARY: Psalm 120-127
- The LORD who is in charge over all things hears us
- He is for peace
- The ONE who made heaven and earth is our peace
- He does not allow our foot to slip. He guards us and doesn’t sleep
- He preserves us from all evil
- God is worthy of our eternal gratitude
- God dwells in the heavens
- The LORD is on our side
- God releases the captives of evil
- God has done great things for us
- God needs to be in charge of all that we do otherwise it is for nothing
- He gives His beloved sleep
- The Lord gives the heritage of children as a reward