The Lord God omnipotent reigns
His judgments are true and righteous
He avenged the blood of His servants
1 And after these things I heard a great voice of many people in heaven saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honor, and power to the Lord our God: 2 For his judgments are true and righteous: he has judged the great whore, who corrupted the earth with her fornication, and has avenged the blood of his servants at her hand. 3 And again they said, Alleluia. And her smoke rose up forever and ever.
- All the religions of the world that give another way to get to God besides Jesus are false.
- They are the great whore.
- She has worn many different faces through the centuries.
- They join together in the last days, killing God’s servants en masse (Revelation 12).
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life.
4 And the 24 elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the throne saying, Amen; Alleluia. 5 And a voice came out of the throne saying, Praise our God, all you his servants, and you that fear him, both small and great. 6 And I heard the voice of a great multitude, like the noise of many waters, and the voice of mighty thunderings saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigns.
His marriage is coming
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to him: for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his wife has made herself ready. 8 And to her was granted that she should be dressed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 9 And he said to me, Write, Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said to me, These are the true sayings of God.
- Christ’s bride is His true church.
- White linen represents the perfect righteousness of Christ covering every believer so that he may dwell in the presence of God.
- Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
- Matthew 22: 2 The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king, which made a marriage for his son…
The rightful and true conquering King comes
His name is called The Word of God
10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said to me, See you do not do it: I am your fellow servant, and of your brothers who have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. 11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13 And he was clothed with a garment dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
- “The Word of God” identifies this person as Jesus of John 1.
He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords
He will rule firmly and absolutely
14 And the armies that were in heaven followed him on white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 And out of his mouth goes a sharp sword, to strike the nations: and he will rule them with a rod of iron: and he treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16 And he has on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
- This is the unleashed ferocity of our longsuffering God’s wrath against all the anguish, pain, and ruin caused by man’s rebellion and evil in this world of beauty and blessing that God made.
- The sword from His mouth is the Word of God (Hebrews 4:12).
- 60 centuries of injustice halted by the sword of His mouth.
- Every injustice avenged, every wrong righted.
- The balm of His love spread over every wound.
- The fragrance of His loveliness carried on every breeze, the ugliness of man’s sin transformed by God’s omnipresent beauty.
- Chaos sorted and set right by His order.
- Every hunger satisfied by His fullness.
- The right to rule all things is His first by
creation—He made it all (John 1:1-3).
- Second, He earned this right again by dying for sin.
- No other one was qualified.
- No other was able.
17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together to the supper of the great God; 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of those that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. 19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that worked miracles before him, by which he deceived those that had received the mark of the beast and those that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. 21 And the rest were slain with the sword of him that sat on the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.
- In Genesis 1 the Lord spoke creation into being with just His words.
- Now, He destroys evil with just His words.
- This destruction was their choice after many years of God’s Holy Spirit striving with them to return to Him.
- Ephesians 6:17… the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword…
- 2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any perish, but that all come to repentance.
1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2 And he seized the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he could not deceive the nations anymore until the thousand years are fulfilled: and after that he must be released a short time.
- Somewhere on earth there is a pit that goes to the center of the earth.
- It is mentioned seven times in Revelation.
- Satan is locked in this pit for a thousand years, falling, he never hits bottom because of the rotation of the earth.
The Lord will give the thrones of earth to those who did not worship the beast
4 And I saw thrones and those sat on them, and judgment was given to them: and I saw the souls of those that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and who had not worshipped the beast or his image, nor received his mark on their foreheads, nor in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on them the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with him a thousand years.
Many groups will be priests and reign with Christ when He returns:
David—Ezekiel 34:23-24, 37:24-25, Hosea 3:5
The Church—1 Corinthians 6:3
The apostles—Matthew 19:28
Princes—Isaiah 32:1, Ezekiel 45:8, 9
.Judges—Zechariah 3:7, Isaiah 1:26
Tribulational martyrs—Revelation 20:4
Lesser authorities—Zechariah 3:7 (List from John Hagee)
- Daniel 7:22 and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
- Isaiah 32:1 Behold, a king will reign in righteousness, and princes will rule in judgment.
- Revelation 1:6 And has made us kings and priests to God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
7 And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released out of his prison, 8 And will go out to deceive the nations that are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: their number is like the sand of the sea.
- God knows everything (1 John 3:20). He knows those who hate Him and refuse to be ruled by Him.
- But it would be unfair of Him not to give them a chance to live and make their choices.
- During our lifetime He displays what is in the heart of each person.
- Psalm 21:8 Your hand will find out all your enemies: your right hand will find out those that hate you.
God stops earth’s last revolt against Him by sending fire from heaven
He judges every man in history according to his works
He preserves from the lake of fire those who believed in Jesus
9 And they went over the breadth of the land and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. 10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and will be tormented day and night forever and ever. 11 And I saw a great white throne and him that sat on it from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was no place found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead that were in it; and death and hell gave up the dead that were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
- Everyone is written in the book of
- If a person dies without accepting Christ’s death for his sin, then at death, that person’s name is blotted out of the book of life and they will be judged by their works because they refused Christ’s work on their behalf.
- Revelation 3:5 He that overcomes, will be clothed in white clothing; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
- John 5:4 … and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith.
The Lord will make all things new
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- 2Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, in which dwells righteousness.
- Matthew 22:1 And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables, and said, 2 The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who made a marriage for his son…
He dwells with man
He wipes away all tears
He removes forever all death, sorrow, crying and pain
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men and he will dwell with them and they will be his people and God himself will be with them, their God. 4 And God will wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying, neither will there be any more pain: for the former things have passed away.
- This is a complete reversal of death.
- Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
He gives those who overcame by faith to be His sons and inherit all things
He is the beginning and the end
He gives all the water of life freely
5 And he that sat on the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said to me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 6 And he said to me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give to him that is thirsty of the fountain of the water of life freely. 7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son. 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and male prostitutes, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
- God sent His son to die so that this would not happen.
- He could have done nothing more.
- These people refused God’s gift all their lives.
- Romans 8:32 He that did not spare his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how will he not with him also freely give us all things?
His bride is glorious
9 And one of the seven angels who had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues came to me, and talked with me, saying, Come here, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife. 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great high mountain and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, 11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like a most precious stone, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal; 12 And had a great high wall, and twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written there, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: 13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. 15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and its gates, and its wall. 16 And the city lies foursquare, and its length is as large as the width: and he measured the city with the rod, 1500 miles. The length and the width and the height of it are equal.
- This is 1500 square miles.
- The shape of the city is the same shape as the holy of holies of the tabernacle and the temple.
- Is there room in the New Jerusalem for everyone?
- Dr. Henry Morris of the Creation Science Research Institute in California has estimated the number of people born since Adam as 40 billion. (See Biblical Cosmology and Modern Science, Craig Press, 1969, pp72-83).
- Assuming that a similar number will be born during the millennium and allowing another 20 billion for those who died before or soon after birth, it is reasonable that about 100 billion men, women, and children will be members of the human race, past, present, and future.
- Assume that 20 percent will be saved, including those who died before the age of accountability (age 20—Numbers 1) (Matthew 7:13, 14).
- If these figures are used then the New Jerusalem will have about 20 billion residents.
- Also assume 25 % of the city is used for mansions of these residents (John 14:2).
- With the rest allotted for streets, parks, etc, then the average space assigned to each person would be:
1380 (1380) (1380) = 1 cubic mile
4 (20) (1,000,000,000) 30
- This would correspond to a cubical ‘block’ with about 75 acres on each face.
- There is obviously room in the holy city for all who will be there (from The Revelation Record, Dr. Henry Morris).
The glory of God is the light of eternity
17 And he measured its wall, 72 yards thick, according to the measurements of man, which are the same as angels. 18 And the building of its wall was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like clear glass. 19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with all kinds of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald; 20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius/ruby; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
- These are the color and arrangement of the rainbow. Remember the rainbow is the light that surrounds God in the vision of Ezekiel 1:26-28.
21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls; each of the gates was a one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass. 22 And I saw no temple in it: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 And the city has no need for the sun or the moon to shine in it: for the glory of God lightens it, and its lamp is the Lamb.
- 1John 1:5 …God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
24 And the nations of those that are saved will walk in its light: and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor to it. 25 And its gates will not be shut at all by day: for there will be no night there. 26 And they will bring the glory and honor of the nations into it. 27 And nothing will enter that defiles in anyway, nor any that work abomination or make a lie: but those that are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
- The gates will always be open. This means total access to God at all times.
- Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
God will heal the nations with leaves from the tree of life
1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bare twelve kinds of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
- John 4:14 But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never thirst; but the water that I give him will be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
- Psalm 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: 3 Who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases
We see His face
3 And there will be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it; and his servants will serve him: 4 And they will see his face; and his name will be in their foreheads.
- God made the first curses in Genesis 3.
- The curses brought trouble and were designed to humble man’s pride so he would return to God.
- The presence of God in all His glory and holiness is so intense that men made of earth dust cannot see it and live (Exodus 33:20).
- We will be made like Him, Then we can see Him continually.
- He is more beautiful than all the sons of men (Psalm 45).
- 1John 3:2 Beloved, now we are the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we will be: but we know that when he appears, we will be like him; for we will see him as he is.
He gives light and dominion to His servants
5 And there will be no night there; and they need no candle, or light from the sun; for the Lord God gives them light: and they will reign forever and ever. 6 And he said to me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to show to his servants the things which must shortly be done. 7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keeps the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
- Daniel 7:22 the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.
8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel that showed me these things. 9 Then said he to me, Don’t do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brothers the prophets, and of those which keep the sayings of this book: worship God. 10 And he said to me, Do not seal the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand. 11 He that is unjust, let him remain unjust: and he which is filthy, let him remain filthy: and he that is righteous, let him remain righteous: and he that is holy, let him remain holy.
- Just like Eden, it’s still our choice.
He is coming quickly
He will reward faith
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work is. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are those that do his commandments that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For outside are dogs, and sorcerers, and male prostitutes, and murderers, and idolaters, and whoever loves and makes a lie.
- The beginning and end means He is our source and our destiny.
- Revelation 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great high mountain, and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God, 11Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal…
He invites all
16 I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. 17 The Spirit and the bride say Come. And let him that hears say, Come. And let him that is thirsty come. And whoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
- Root means David came from Him, He is the Maker of us all (John 1:1-3).
- Offspring means that He came through David, God was born as a human being.
- Bright and morning star means that He is our light, the promised Savior and ruler who will begin all things anew.
- Numbers 24:17 I will see him, but not now: I will behold him, but not near: a Star will come out of Jacob, and a Scepter will rise out of Israel…
- Revelation 21:5 And he that sat on the throne said, Behold, I make all things new.
God warns for our good
18 For I testify to every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book: 19 And if any man takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book. 20 He who testifies these things says, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. 21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
- Nehemiah 9:5,6 blessed be your glorious name, which is exalted above all blessing and praise. You, even You, are LORD alone; You have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are in it, the seas, and all that is there, and You preserve them all; and the host of heaven worship You.
- Revelation 1:4 7 Behold, he comes with clouds; and every eye will see him, and they also that pierced him: and all families of the earth will wail because of him. Even so, Amen.
SUMMARY: Revelation 19-22
- The Lord God omnipotent reigns
- His judgments are true and righteous
- He avenged the blood of His servants
- His marriage is coming
- The rightful and true conquering King comes
- His name is called The Word of God
- He is King of Kings and Lord of Lords
- He will rule firmly and absolutely
- The Lord will give the thrones of earth to those who did not worship the beast
- God stops earth’s last revolt against Him by sending fire from heaven
- He judges every man according to his works
- He preserves from the lake of fire those who believed in Jesus
- The Lord will make all things new
- He dwells with man
- He wipes away all tears
- He removes forever all death, sorrow, crying and pain
- He gives those who overcame by faith to be his sons and inherit all things
- He is the beginning and the end
- He gives all the water of life freely
- His bride is glorious
- The glory of God is the light of eternity
- God will heal the nations with leaves from the tree of life
- We see His face
- He gives light and dominion to His servants
He is coming quickly
He will reward faith
He invites all
- God warns for our good