God’s splendor and glory are breathtaking
He shows us what is going to happen
1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven and I heard the first voice like a trumpet talking with me; who said, Come up here, and I will show you what needs to happen after these things. 2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. 3 And the one sitting looked like a jasper and a sardius stone: and there was a rainbow surrounding the throne, that looked like an emerald.
- The sardius stone, a form of chalcedony, emits a deep rich, red glow.
- Many scholars believe the jasper to be the diamond.
- A rainbow of light emits from the infinite facets of God.
- 1John 1:5 …God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
4 And around the throne were 24 seats: and on the seats I saw 24 elders sitting, clothed in white garments; and they had crowns of gold on their heads. 5 And out of the throne proceeded lightning and thunder and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
- In Exodus 19 lightning and thunder accompanied the presence of God whose voice sounds like thunder (Psalm 29).
- 24 is the number of priestly service.
- The white clothing symbolizes the righteous of saints (Revelation 19:8).
- Other crowns are mentioned in 1 Corinthians 9:25, 2 Timothy 4:8, James 1:12, and 1 Peter 5:4.
6 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and around the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. 7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. 8 And the four beasts each had six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.
- Isaiah 6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
Only He is worthy
He created all things for His pleasure
9 And when those beasts give glory and honor and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who lives for ever and ever, 10 The 24 elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that lives for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne saying, 11 You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for you have created all things, and for your pleasure they are and were created.
- Psalm 135:6 Whatever the LORD pleased, he did that in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.
1 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written on both sides, sealed with seven seals. 2 And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to open its seals? 3 And no man in heaven or in earth or under the earth was able to open the book or to look on it. 4 And I wept much because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, or to look on it. 5 And one of the elders said to me, Do not weep: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the book, and to open its seven seals.
- The Lion of the tribe of Judah is Jesus. The root of David is Jesus. He prevailed over the devil at the cross.
- 1John 3:8 the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Jesus, the Lamb of God, redeemed us to God by His own blood
6 And I watched, and saw, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been killed, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. 7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and 24 elders fell down before the Lamb, (every one of them having harps and golden vials full of incense, which are the prayers of saints.) 9 And they sung a new song, saying, You are worthy to take the book, and to open its seals: for you were slain, and have redeemed us to God by your blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; 10 And have made us kings and priests to our God: and we will reign on the earth.
- Notice there will be saved people from every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.
- There is not a family or race or nation on earth that does not have some people who have sought God and believed in His Son, Jesus Christ.
- Daniel 7:27 And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, will be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions will serve and obey him.
All creatures will worship Him only
11 And I watched, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands; 12 saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. 13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and those that are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be to him that sits on the throne, and to the Lamb for ever and ever. 14 And the four beasts said, Amen. And the 24 elders fell down and worshipped him that lives forever and ever.
- Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God.
Jesus opens the seals that bring the righteous judgment of God on a world wholly given to evil
1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. 2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given to him: and he went out conquering, and to conquer. 3 And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see. 4And there went out another horse that was red: and power was given to him that sat on it to take peace from the earth, that they kill one another: and a great sword was given to him.
- Jesus is worthy to open the seals because He is the only man without sin.
- And He laid down His life to take the penalty for our sins.
- The world refused Christ and His love, so, after many years of God’s longsuffering toward them, they reap what they have sown.
- Judges 5:8 They chose new gods; then was war in the gates…
- Psalm 96:5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
5 And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I looked and saw, a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand. 6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see you do not hurt the oil and the wine. 7 And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see. 8 And I looked and saw a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given to them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
- Worldwide financial catastrophe occurs.
- The balance means food rationing.
- The penny was the denarius, a day’s wage. A day’s wage will not feed a family at this time.
- John 6:35 And Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life: he that comes to me will never hunger; and he that believes on me will never thirst.
He is holy and true who avenges blood shed
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those that were killed for the word of God, and for the testimony that they held: 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, do you not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
- These martyrs are fully awake, therefore the doctrine of soul sleep is false! (John Hagee).
- Claiming Christ at this time in history brings the death sentence.
- Satan can only control mankind through
- Just like Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel, If you will not fall down and worship the golden image you will be cast into the burning fiery furnace.
- Psalm 23:4 Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for you are with me…
- Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but instead give place to wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says the Lord.
11 And white robes were given to every one of them; and they were told to rest for a little season, until their fellow servants and their brothers, who would be killed as they were, would be fulfilled.
- Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
- Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they did not love their lives unto death.
His wrath is against all the harm and ruin that evil has done
12 And I watched when he had opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black like sackcloth of mohair, and the moon became like blood; 13 And the stars of heaven fell to the earth as a fig tree casts her unripe figs, when she is shaken by a mighty wind. 14 And the sky split apart like a scroll when it is rolled up; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every slave, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath has come; and who will be able to stand?
- In Genesis 1 God made everything good, good, and very good.
- The Lord has pleaded with man for 60 centuries to turn back to Him.
- They still won’t call to God and be saved, instead they tell the mountains to fall on them.
- Revelation 4:2-3 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. 3And he that sat looked like jasper and a sardius stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne that looked like an emerald.
God has His seal of protection placed on His servants
1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth so that the wind would not blow on the earth or on the sea or on any tree. 2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Do not hurt the earth or the sea or the trees, until we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
- The seal was the mark of the king that authorized actions and couldn’t be broken.
- Esther 8:8 is one reference showing this.
- The Roman seal was placed on the tomb of Christ.
- In Ezekiel 9, God marked his servants for preservation before judgment began.
- God has sealed us to Himself by His Holy Spirit.
- Ephesians1:13 … after you believed, you were sealed with the holy Spirit of promise
4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed: and there were sealed 144,000 of all the tribes of the children of Israel. 5 From the tribe of Judah 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Reuben 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Gad 12,000 were sealed. 6 From the tribe of Asher 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Naphtali 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Manassah 12,000 were sealed. 7 From the tribe of Simeon 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Levi 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Issachar 12,000 were sealed. 8 From the tribe of Zebulun 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Joseph 12,000 were sealed. From the tribe of Benjamin 12,000 were sealed.
- Notice that the tribe of Dan is missing.
- The antichrist comes from the tribe of Dan. Dan also had an idolatrous beginning in the Promised Land. Judges 18 records it.
Only He deserves all blessing, glory, wisdom, thanksgiving, honor, power, and might
9 After this I looked and saw a great multitude that no man could number from all nations and tribes and people and tongues standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; 10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb. 11 And all the angels stood around the throne, and the elders and the four beasts; and they fell before the throne on their faces and worshipped God, 12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honor, and power, and might, be to our God forever and ever. Amen.
- Revelation 4:3 And he that sat looked like jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round around the throne that looked like an emerald.
13 And one of the elders asked me, Who are these that are wrapped in white robes? And where have they come from? 14 And I said to him, Sir, you know. And he said to me, These are those who came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
- Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they will be like wool.
He that sits on the throne will dwell among them
He will shade, feed, lead to fountains of living waters, and wipe away all tears
15 This is the reason they are before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sits on the throne will dwell among them. 16 They will not hunger any more, or thirst any more; nor will the sun light on them, nor any heat. 17 For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will feed them, and will lead them to living fountains of waters: and God will wipe away all tears from their eyes.
- Unable to buy or sell, they ran for their lives as the most wanted criminals and suffered hunger, thirst, sunstroke.
- Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin will be with child, and will bring forth a son, and they will call his name Emmanuel, which is interpreted, God with us.
SUMMARY: Revelation 4-7
- God’s splendor and glory are breathtaking
- He shows us what is going to happen
- Only He is worthy
- He created all things for His pleasure
- Jesus, the Lamb of God, redeemed us to God by His own blood
- Jesus opens the seals that bring the righteous judgment of God on a world wholly given to evil
- He is holy and true who avenges blood shed
- His wrath is against all the harm and ruin that evil has done
- God has His seal of protection placed on His servants
- Only He deserves all blessing, glory, wisdom, thanksgiving, honor, power, and might
- He that sits on the throne will dwell among them
- He will shade, feed, lead to fountains of living waters, and wipe away all tears