1 Chronicles 23
God gave David a long, full life
1 When David was old and full of days, he made his son Solomon king over Israel. 2 He gathered together all the princes of Israel, with the priests and the Levites. 3 Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and up: their number by their leaders, man by man was 38,000. 4 Of which 24,000 were to set forward the work of the house of the LORD and 6,000 were officers and judges: 5 4,000 were gatekeepers; and 4,000 praised the LORD with the instruments that I made to praise with, said David.
- God gave David a long life.
- He appoints kings.
- Man cuts his own life short by being violent or full of deceit.
- It’s a choice.
- God is orderly. David set up a rotation schedule for service at the house of God.
- Psalm 55:23…bloody and deceitful men will not live out half their days;
- Psalm 91:1 He that dwells in the secret place of the most High will abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 16 With long life will I satisfy him, and show him my salvation.
6 David divided them into courses among the sons of Levi, namely, Gershon, Kohath, and Merari. 7 Of the Gershonites were Laadan, and Shimei. 8 The three sons of Laadan: the leader was Jehiel, then Zetham, and Joel 9 The three sons of Shimei: Shelomith, Haziel, and Haran. These were the heads of the fathers of Laadan. 10 And the sons of Shimei were Jahath, Zina, Jeush, and Beriah. These four were the sons of Shimei. 11 Jahath was the chief, and Zizah the second: but Jeush and Beriah did not have sons; so they were in one roster, according to their father’s house. 12 The four sons of Kohath: Amram, Izhar, Hebron, and Uzziel. 13 The sons of Amram: Aaron and Moses. Aaron was separated to sanctify the most holy things, he and his sons forever, to burn incense before the LORD, to minister to him, and to bless in his name forever.
- God had appointed Aaron the first high priest (Exodus 28:1).
- Sanctify means to set apart. Aaron’s family had care of the furnishings of God’s house or tent: the ark of the covenant, the lamp stand, the table of showbread, and the altar of incense.
- Hebrews 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest who has passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was tested in all points as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
- Revelation 1:4…Grace to you, and peace, from him who is, and who was, and who is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne; 5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,6 And has made us kings and priests to God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
14 Now concerning Moses the man of God, his sons were included in the tribe of Levi. 15 The sons of Moses were Gershom, and Eliezer. 16 Of the sons of Gershom, Shebuel was the leader. 17 The sons of Eliezer was Rehabiah the leader. And Eliezer had no other sons; but the sons of Rehabiah were very many. 18 Of the sons of Izhar; Shelomith the leader. 19 Of the sons of Hebron; Jeriah the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth. 20 Of the sons of Uzziel: Michah the first, and Jesiah the second. 21 The sons of Merari; Mahli, and Mushi. The sons of Mahli: Eleazar, and Kish. 22 And Eleazar died, and had no sons, but daughters: and their brothers the sons of Kish took them. 23 The three sons of Mushi: Mahli, Eder, and Jeremoth. 24 These were the sons of Levi by the house of their fathers; the heads of the fathers as they were counted by number of names by their heads that did the work for the service of the house of the LORD from the age of 23 and upward.
The Lord God gave rest to His people
25 For David said, The LORD God of Israel has given rest to his people, that they may dwell in Jerusalem forever: 26 Also to the Levites; they will no longer carry the tabernacle or any of its articles for its service. 27 By the last words of David the Levites were numbered from twenty years old and up: 28 Because their office was to wait on the sons of Aaron for the service of the house of the LORD, in the courts, in the chambers, in the purifying of all holy things, and the work of the service of the house of God; 29 Both for the showbread and for the fine flour for food offering, for the unleavened cakes, for what is baked in the pan, for what is fried, and for every measure and size; 30 And to stand every morning to thank and praise the LORD, and the same way at evening; 31 And to offer all burnt sacrifices to the LORD in the sabbaths, in the new moons, and on the set feasts, by number, according to the order commanded to them, continually before the LORD: 32 And to keep the charge of the tabernacle of the congregation, the charge of the holy place, and the charge of the sons of Aaron their brothers, in the service of the house of the LORD.
- Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all you that labor and are loaded down, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and low in heart: and you will find rest to your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
1 Chronicles 24
1 Now these are the divisions of the sons of Aaron. The sons of Aaron: Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar. 2 But Nadab and Abihu died before their father and had no children: therefore Eleazar and Ithamar executed the priest’s office.
- God is to be highly respected by those who come near to Him.
- Nadab and Abihu died for taking an unauthorized offering into God’s house, possibly while intoxicated (Leviticus 10:1-3).
- The LORD made all us and all things we
- He made life.
- This was a small and simple rule that they broke.
- Only pride, or setting our wishes above His would do
3 And David distributed them, both Zadok of the sons of Eleazar, and Ahimelech of the sons of Ithamar, according to their offices in their service. 4 And there were more family leaders found among the sons of Eleazar than of the sons of Ithamar; and so were they divided like this. Among the sons of Eleazar there were sixteen head men of the house of their fathers, and eight among the sons of Ithamar according to the house of their fathers.
God ruled over the drawing; His will was made known
5 All tasks were assigned to the various groups by sacred lot so that no preference would be shown, for there were many qualified officials serving God in the sanctuary from among the descendants of both Eleazar and Ithamar. 6 And Shemaiah the son of Nethaneel the scribe, one of the Levites, wrote them before the king, the princes, Zadok the priest, Ahimelech the son of Abiathar, and before the leaders of the fathers of the priests and Levites: one principal household being taken for Eleazar, and one taken for Ithamar.
- The lot was like a drawing to determine who went in what order.
- God makes His will know this way. He was sovereign over who was drawn.
- The service for the house of God was very orderly and detailed.
- Proverbs 16:33The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing of it is of the LORD.
- Proverbs 18:18The lot causes contentions to cease, and parts between the mighty.
7 Now the first lot came out to Jehoiarib, the second to Jedaiah, 8 The third to Harim, the fourth to Seorim, 9 The fifth to Malchijah, the sixth to Mijamin, 10 The seventh to Hakkoz, the eighth to Abijah, 11 The ninth to Jeshua, the tenth to Shecaniah, 12 The eleventh to Eliashib, the twelfth to Jakim, 13 The thirteenth to Huppah, the fourteenth to Jeshebeab, 14 The fifteenth to Bilgah, the sixteenth to Immer, 15 The seventeenth to Hezir, the eighteenth to Aphses, 16 The nineteenth to Pethahiah, the twentieth to Jehezekel, 17 The twenty-first to Jachin, the twenty-second to Gamul, 18 The twenty-third to Delaiah, and the twenty-fourth to Maaziah. 19 These were the orderings of them in their service to come to the house of the LORD, according to their decree, under Aaron their father, as the LORD God of Israel had commanded him.
- In 1 Corinthians 14:40 we are told to do all things decently and in order.
- This describes the orderly arrangement that was given for the priests and Levites to come to serve at the house of God.
- 1Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
God told Aaron to set it up like this
20 And the rest of the sons of Levi were these: Of the sons of Amram; Shubael: of the sons of Shubael: Jehdeiah. 21 Concerning Rehabiah: of the sons of Rehabiah, the leader was Isshiah. 22 Of the Izharites: Shelomoth: of the sons of Shelomoth: Jahath. 23 And the sons of Hebron: Jeriah was leader, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, Jekameam the fourth. 24 Of the sons of Uzziel: Michah: of the sons of Michah: Shamir. 25 The brother of Michah was Isshiah: of the sons of Isshiah: Zechariah. 26 The sons of Merari were Mahli and Mushi: the son of Jaaziah: Beno. 27 The sons of Merari by Jaaziah: Beno, Shoham, Zaccur, and Ibri. 28 From Mahli came Eleazar, who had no sons. 29 Concerning Kish: the son of Kish was Jerahmeel. 30 Also the sons of Mushi: Mahli, Eder, and Jerimoth. These were the sons of the Levites by the house of their fathers. 31 These cast lots in the same way as their brothers the sons of Aaron in the presence of David the king, Zadok, Ahimelech, and the heads of the fathers of the priests and Levites, the head fathers did just as their younger brothers.
- This was done and recorded in King David’s presence.
- It was to stand without argument or dispute throughout the generations.
- When Christ reigns on earth this same rotation system will probably be used for service at the Lord’s temple in Jerusalem because He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
- (Maybe even the descendants of these same men)
- God was to be their priority.
- They came to do their service when it was their time and arranged the rest of their lives around that.
- Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and forever.
1 Chronicles 25
1 MoreovernDavid and the captains of the army separated to the service of the sons of Asaph, of Heman, and of Jeduthun, who spoke the words of God with harps, with psalteries, and with cymbals: and the number of the workmen according to their service was: 2 From the sons of Asaph; Zaccur, Joseph, Nethaniah, and Asarelah, the sons of Asaph under the hands of Asaph, who spoke the words of God/prophesied according to the order of the king.
- David and the captains set up the rotation schedule of singers and musicians.
- ‘Prophesying’ was telling forth the words of God before we had it all written down in one book.
- Verse 5 says, the king’s seer in the words of God.
- These people were to know and speak to the people the words of God.
- We need to be careful that our comments about the words of God do not divert attention from the words of God, but rather shine light on the words of God.
- There is no authorization in scripture for men to write their own sermons. They are to read God’s words distinctly and give understanding.
- Amos 3:8…the Lord GOD has spoken, who can but prophesy?
- Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.
God is most worthy of praise
3 Of Jeduthun: the six sons of Jeduthun; Gedaliah, Zeri, Jeshaiah, Hashabiah, and Mattithiah, under the hands of their father Jeduthun, who prophesied with a harp, to give thanks and to praise the LORD. 4 Of Heman: the sons of Heman; Bukkiah, Mattaniah, Uzziel, Shebuel, Jerimoth, Hananiah, Hanani, Eliathah, Giddalti, Romamti-ezer, Joshbekashah, Mallothi, Hothir, and Mahazioth:
- Psalm 66:9 (The Lord) holds our soul in life, and does not allow our feet to be moved.
- Romans 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.
5 All these were the sons of Heman, the king’s seer, in the words of God, to lift up the horn. And God gave Heman fourteen sons and three daughters. 6 All these were under the hands of their father for song in the house of the LORD, with cymbals, psalteries, and harps, for the service of the house of God, according to the king’s order to Asaph, Jeduthun, and Heman.
- King David set all these things in order for the service to the house of the Lord that Solomon was commissioned to build.
- Prophesying was speaking God’s words.
- They were spoken to music.
- Thanks and praise were given to God in His own words.
7 So the number of them, with their brothers that were instructed in the songs of the LORD, all that were skillful, was 288. 8 They cast lots, watch against watch, the small as well the small as the great, the teacher as the scholar. 9 The first lot fell to Joseph of the Asaph clan and twelve of his sons and relatives. The second lot fell to Gedaliah and twelve of his sons and relatives. 10 The third to Zaccur and twelve of his sons and relatives: 11 The fourth to Izri and twelve of his sons and relatives. 12 The fifth to Nethaniah and twelve of his sons and relatives. 13 The sixth to Bukkiah and twelve of his sons and relatives. 14 The seventh to Jesharelah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 15 The eighth to Jeshaiah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 16 The ninth to Mattaniah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 17 The tenth to Shimei and twelve of his sons and relatives: 18 The eleventh to Azareel and twelve of his sons and relatives: 19 The twelfth to Hashabiah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 20 The thirteenth to Shubael and twelve of his sons and relatives: 21 The fourteenth to Mattithiah and twelve of his sons and relatives:
- The content of these songs of the Lord far surpass anything that we have today.
- Casting the lot was fair. It left the decisions up to God. And there was no partiality.
- Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
- Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing of it is of the LORD.
22 The fifteenth to Jeremoth and twelve of his sons and relatives: 23 The sixteenth to Hananiah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 24 The seventeenth to Joshbekashah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 25 The eighteenth to Hanani and twelve of his sons and relatives: 26 The nineteenth to Mallothi and twelve of his sons and relatives: 27 The twentieth to Eliathah and twelve of his sons and relatives: 28 The twenty-first to Hothir and twelve of his sons and relatives: 29 The twenty-second to Giddalti, and twelve of his sons and relatives: 30 The twenty-third to Mahazioth and twelve of his sons and relatives: 31 The twenty-fourth to Romamti-ezer, and twelve of his sons and relatives.
- The 288 male singers and musicians that were skillful and instructed in the songs of the Lord were divided into 24 rotations.
- Each rotation contained one leader and brothers for a total of twelve.
- 1Chronicles 16:9 Sing to him, sing psalms to him, talk of all his wondrous works.
- Psalm 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in you: I will sing praise to your name, O most High.
1 Chronicles 26
1 Concerning the divisions of the gatekeepers: Of the Korhites was Meshelemiah the son of Kore, of the sons of Asaph. 2 And the sons of Meshelemiah were Zechariah the firstborn, Jediael the second, Zebadiah the third, Jathniel the fourth, 3 Elam the fifth, Jehohanan the sixth, Elioenai the seventh. 4 Moreover the sons of Obed-edom were, Shemaiah the firstborn, Jehozabad the second, Joah the third, and Sacar the fourth, and Nethaneel the fifth, 5 Ammiel the sixth, Issachar the seventh, Peulthai the eighth: for God blessed him (Obed-edom). 6 Also to Shemaiah his son, sons were born that ruled throughout the house of their father: for they were mighty men of valor. 7 The sons of Shemaiah; Othni, Rephael, Obed, and Elzabad, whose brothers were strong men, Elihu, and Semachiah. 8 All these of the sons of Obed-edom: they, their sons, and their brothers, able men for strength for the service, were 62 from Obed-edom.
- God’s house was full of treasures of gold, silver, brass, and jewels besides the furniture that was made of wood overlaid with gold.
- These men were doorkeepers, gatekeepers, guarding at the house of God.
- These sons and grandsons of Obed-edom were mighty war heroes, able men of strength.
- Their valor or strength is mentioned three times in this chapter.
- They were not priests.
- They did not have a high position, but a quiet position of service.
9 And Meshelemiah had eighteen sons and brothers, strong men. 10 Also Hosah, of the children of Merari, had sons: Simri the leader, (though he was not the firstborn, yet his father made him the leader;) 11 Hilkiah the second, Tebaliah the third, Zechariah the fourth: all the sons and brothers of Hosah were thirteen. 12 Among these were the divisions of the gatekeepers, among the leading men, having opposite watches, to minister in the house of the LORD. 13 They cast lots, the small as well as the great, according to the house of their fathers, for every gate.
- Casting lots was like a drawing.
- A way to determine without passion, bias, or divination (asking evil spirits) (Unger’s Bible Dictionary).
- Everyone was considered at the same time.
- They cast lots for what gate each group guarded.
- God decided.
- God is fair and wise.
- Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing of it is of the LORD.
- Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
God is our treasure
14 And the lot toward the east fell to Shelemiah. Then for Zechariah his son, a wise counselor, they cast lots; and his lot came out toward the north. 15 To Obed-edom toward the south; and to his sons the house of Asuppim. 16 To Shuppim and Hosah the lot came out toward the west, with the gate Shallecheth, by the causeway of the going up, guard opposite guard. 17 Toward the east were six Levites, toward the north four a day, toward the south four a day, and two at each of the storehouses. 18 At Parbar toward the west, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar. 19 These are the divisions of the gatekeepers among the sons of Kore, and among the sons of Merari. 20 And of the Levites, Ahijah was over the treasures of the house of God, and over the treasures of the holy things.
- Proverbs 2:6 the LORD gives wisdom: out of his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.
- Isaiah 33:6 And wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times, and strength of salvation: the fear of the LORD is his treasure.
21 Concerning the sons of Laadan: the sons of the Gershonite Laadan, head fathers of Laadan the Gershonite, were Jehieli. 22 The sons of Jehieli: Zetham and Joel his brother, who were over the treasures of the house of the LORD. 23 Of the Amramites, the Izharites, the Hebronites, and the Uzzielites: 24 And Shebuel the son of Gershom, the son of Moses, was ruler over the treasures storage. 25 And his brothers by Eliezer: Rehabiah his son, Jeshaiah his son, Joram his son, Zichri his son, and Shelomith his son. 26 Which Shelomith and his brothers were over all the treasures of the dedicated things that David the king, the head fathers, the captains over thousands and hundreds, and the captains of the army had dedicated. 27 Out of the plunder of battles they dedicated to maintain the house of the LORD. 28 And all that Samuel the seer, Saul the son of Kish, Abner the son of Ner, and Joab the son of Zeruiah had dedicated; and whoever had dedicated anything, it was under the hand of Shelomith and of his brothers.
- Plunder from battles was accepted at God’s house but not the proceeds of prostitution (Deuteronomy 23:18).
29 Of the Izharites, Chenaniah and his sons were for the outward business over Israel, for officers and judges. 30 Of the Hebronites, Hashabiah and his brothers, 1,700 men of valor, were officers among those of Israel on this side Jordan toward the west in all the business of the LORD, and in the service of the king. 31 Among the Hebronites Jerijah was the head, among the Hebronites, according to the generations of his fathers. In the fortieth year of the reign of David they were sought for, and were found among them mighty men of valor at Jazer of Gilead. 32 And his brothers, men of valor, were 2,700 head fathers whom king David made rulers over the Reubenites, the Gadites, and the half tribe of Manasseh, for every matter pertaining to God, and affairs of the king.
- These were leaders on the east side of the Jordan River.
- God has showed us His way.
- He gave these instructions and examples to David.
- He is perfect, so this way of setting up temple order and government order is similar to what will be used during His reign on earth.
- This is why we need to know the word of God.
- Revelation 1:6 And has made us kings and priests to God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
- Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and forever.
SUMMARY: 2 Chronicles 23-26
- God gave David a long, full life
- The Lord God gave rest to His people
- God ruled over the drawing; His will was made known
- God is most worthy of praise
- God is our treasure