The Lord greatly rewards the faithful
1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and having sat down, his disciples came to him: 2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are those that mourn: for they will be comforted. 5.Blessed are the humble: for they will inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are those that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they will be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful: for they will obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they will see God.
- Jesus teaches like no other because He’s the One that knows everything (1 John 3:20).
- He blesses like no other because He owns all things.
- When we are empty, then God can fill.
- The word ‘meek’ means humble.
- The humble recognize that God is in charge and submit themselves to Him and to what He has revealed to be His will, through His word.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called the children of God. 10 Blessed are those that are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are you, when men revile you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for this is how they persecuted the prophets that were before you. 13 You are the salt of the earth: but if the salt has become tasteless, with what will it be salted? It is good for nothing, but to be thrown out and trampled under men’s feet.
- Salt illustrates God at work in our lives.
- Salt was used to preserve foods in the ancient world. It was used to heal.
- Like salt, God penetrates, He preserves, and He heals.
- True peace on earth begins first in man’s heart, between God and man.
- Psalm 41:2 The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he will be blessed upon the earth: and you will not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.
14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a basket, but on a candlestick; and it gives light to all that are in the house. 16 Let your light shine like this before men so that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
- God’s truth in our hearts is like the grain of salt in verse 13.
- His truth is what sets the world free from evil, it lights the way for all mankind, it preserves, it penetrates, and it heals.
- Just being in the world and living by His truths rather than the world’s way lights the way for those around us.
- Just passing His truth on to others penetrates them, preserves them, and heals them—if they will.
- Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
Jesus came to fulfill the law in our place
17 Do not think that I have come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I have not come to destroy, but to fulfill. 18 For truthfully, I say to you, Until heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle/comma or period will, not in any way, pass from the law until all is fulfilled. 19 Therefore, whoever breaks one of these least commandments, and teaches that to men, he will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whoever does and teaches them, that one will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
- Notice that one who broke a commandment and taught others to break it was still in the kingdom of heaven.
- He lost honor and position, but not salvation.
- 2Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor.
20 For I say to you, That unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will, in no way, enter into the kingdom of heaven. 21 You have heard that it was said by those in ancient times , Do not kill; and whoever kills will be in danger of the judgment: 22 But I say to you, That whoever is angry with his brother without a cause will be in danger of the judgment: and whoever says to his brother, You idiot, will be in danger of the council: but whoever says, You fool, will be in danger of hell fire.
- The Lord makes us accountable for our thoughts, words, and actions.
- Jesus spoke more about hell than anyone else, more than all the others combined.
- He made it (John 1:1-3).
23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and while there, remember that your brother has something against you; 24 Leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary delivers you to the judge, and the judge deliver you to the officer, and you are cast into prison. 26 Truly I say to you, you will, by no means, come out, until you have paid the last cent.
- ‘You are more important to God than your gift.’ Lester Collins
27 You have heard that it was said by those of ancient times, do not commit adultery: 28 But I say to you, That whoever looks on a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 And if your right eye offends you, pluck it out, and cast it from you: for it is better for you that one of your parts perish, and not that your whole body be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand offends you, cut it off, and cast it from you: for it is better for you that one of your parts perish, and not that your whole body be cast into hell.
- Jesus told the absolute truth. Would it not be better to pass through life missing a body part than to burn in hell forever.
- The more of God’s word that we take into our minds and hearts, the less evil will be flowing through.
- We choose what we think. Those prone to abusing others in any way are in grave danger.
- Children are to be under the power and protection of adults.
- Matthew 18:6 But whoever offends one of these little ones that believes in me, it were better for him that a millstone be hanged about his neck, and that he be drowned in the depth of the sea.
- Psalm 51:4 Against you, you only, have I sinned, and done this evil in your sight: that you might be justified when you speak, and be clear when you judge.
- Proverbs 15:3 The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
- 1 Samuel 16:7 … the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.
31 It has been said, Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32 But I say to you, That whoever divorces his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery: and whoever marries her that is divorced commits adultery. 33 Again, you have heard that it has been said by the ancients, Do not make false vows, but perform to the Lord your vows: 34 But I say to you, Do not swear at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
- Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he will reign forever and ever.
36 Do not swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yes, yes; No, no: for whatever is more than these comes from evil. 38 You have heard that it has been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say to you, Do not resist evil: but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go a mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him that asks you, and from him that would borrow from you do not turn away. 43 You have heard that it has been said, Love your neighbor, and hate your enemy. 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless those that curse you, do good to those that hate you, and pray for those that spitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 So that you may be the children of your Father that is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same thing? 47 And if you salute your brothers only, what do you more than others? Do not even the Gentiles do this? 48 Therefore you be perfect, even as your Father who is in heaven is perfect.
- Our heavenly father expects us to be perfect like He is because He has given us His Holy Spirit to live in and through us to guide, comfort, and empower us to be as He is. (Ephesians 1:13, Galatians 5:22).
The kingdom, power, and glory are the Lord’s forever
1 Beware that you do not do your deeds of compassion before men, to be seen by them: otherwise you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. 2 Therefore when you do your deeds of compassion, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Truthfully I say to you, They have their reward. 3 But when you do deeds of compassion, do not let your left hand know what your right hand does: 4 That your deeds of compassion may be in secret: and your Father who sees in secret himself will reward you openly. 5 And when you pray, you are not to be as the hypocrites: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Truthfully I say to you, They have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
- All life is to God first.
- Doing things to be seen of men to get praise from men feeds our pride.
- Pride caused man’s fall and is at war with God.
- Acts 17:28 In Him we live and move and have our being.
Our heavenly Father knows what we need before we ask
7 But when you pray, do not use vain/empty repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. 8 Do not be like them: for your Father knows what things you need before you ask him. 9 Therefore pray like this: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be your name. 10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day tomorrows bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. 13 And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
- God tests us but doesn’t tempt us.
- He tests us to display and strengthen our faith.
- He never tries to get us off the right path.
- His name/person is sacred, pure, holy, and infinitely exquisite.
14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. 16 Moreover when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, of a sad appearance: for they disfigure their faces so that they may appear to men to fast. Truthfully I say to you, They have their reward. 17 But you, when you fast, anoint your head, and wash your face, 18 so that you do not appear to men to fast, but unto your Father who is in secret: and your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you openly. 19 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust corrupt, and where thieves break in and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust can corrupt, and where thieves do not break in or steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
- This is God’s investment advice.
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore, your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is evil, your whole body will be full of darkness. So if the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness! 24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.
- Jesus is talking about the eye of the heart, what the heart is looking at, thinking about.
- All of His teachings focus toward getting the inner life right first.
- Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said to him, You will love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, You will love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
- I John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
25 Therefore I say to you, Take no thought for your life, what you will eat, or what you will drink; or yet for your body, what you will put on. Is not the life more than food, and the body than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: for they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much better than they? 27 Which of you, by thinking about it, can add one inch to his height? 28 And why do you think about clothes? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they do not toil, neither do they spin: 29 And yet I say to you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not clothed like one of these. 30 So, if God clothes the grass of the field like this, which today is here, and tomorrow is cast to the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
- Psalm 145:16 You open your hand, and satisfy the desire of every living thing.
- Romans 10:17 Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.
31 So take no thought, saying, What will we eat? or, What will we drink? or, What will we wear? 32 (For the Gentiles seek after all these things:) for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things will be added to you. 34 So, take no thought for tomorrow: for tomorrow will take thought for the things of itself. Each day has enough evil.
- God doesn’t want us wasting today thinking about tomorrow because it is safely in His hands.
- The evil of each day is our thinking that is fearful, hateful, worrisome, lustful, or covetous, rather not loving, trusting in God.
The Lord is the judge
1 Do not judge, that you not be judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged: and by your standard of measure it will be measured to you again. 3 And why do you examine the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not consider the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how will you say to your brother, Let me pull the speck out of your eye; and, behold, a log is in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first cast the log out of your own eye; and then you will see clearly to cast the speck out of your brother's eye.
- Verse 3 makes it clear that this is not referring to criminal justice.
- Criminal acts are to be reported to the proper authorities or we partake of the evil of that person (2 John 1:11).
- If we judge others then we are stepping into God’s place. That is huge like a log.
- Matthew 22:37 tell us to love the Lord our God with all our hearts.
- Not doing this is another log.
- Whatever is in our brother’s eye is tiny compared to these great offences toward God.
Our heavenly Father gives us good things
6 Do not give what is holy to the dogs or cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rip into you. 7 Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son asks bread, will he give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a snake? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
- The Lord promises we will find if we seek; He promises to give what we ask.
- There is no other offer like this in the universe.
- Many have had rich and powerful fathers but none like our eternal heavenly Father.
- The One who has ALL the power gave us this promise.
- There are many holy and precious things about God, things that He does in each of our lives.
- These are to be held close to our hearts not shared with those who ridicule God.
- We are to share with the unbelievers God’s mighty deeds and His saving grace by faith in Jesus Christ.
12 Therefore all things whatever you desire men to do to you, you do these things to them: for this is the law and the prophets. 13 Enter in at the straight gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many that go in there: 14 Because the gate is straight, and way is narrow/pressed, which leads to life, and there are few that find it.
- Today the world is full of religions of ‘works’ to enter heaven.
- Jesus said entrance into heaven is by faith.
- John 3:16 God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him not perish, but have everlasting life.
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, except by way of me.
15 Beware of false prophets that come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bears good fruit; but a corrupt tree bears evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear evil fruit neither can a corrupt tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down, and cast into the fire. 20 Therefore you will know them by their fruits. 21 Not every one that says to me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- The Lord told us how to recognize false prophets.
- When a person says one thing and does another, their actions show that they are liars.
- Don’t be deceived by men whose lives don’t match their words. They are just using people for personal power and gain.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? And in your name have cast out devils? And in your name done many wonderful works? 23 And then I will declare to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity. 24 Therefore, whoever hears these words of mine, and does them, I will compare him to a wise man that built his house on a rock.
- Our God is a personal God. He wants a personal relationship with us.
- To listen to His words and follow them is to be under His kingdom rule rather than evil’s rule.
- Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will feast with him, and he with me.
- 1Corinthians 8:3 But if any man loves God, the same is known of him.
25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it did not fall: for it was founded on a rock. 26 And every one that hears these words of mine, and does not do them, will be compared to a foolish man who built his house on the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell: and great was its fall. 28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: 29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not like the scribes.
- The Lord’s teaching still carries the absolute authority of the throne of the universe.
- John 1:3-4 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
- Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All power is given to me in heaven and in earth.
SUMMARY: Matthew 5-7
- The Lord greatly rewards the faithful
- Jesus came to fulfill the law in our place
- The kingdom, power, and glory are the Lord’s forever
- Our heavenly Father knows what we need before we ask
- The Lord is the judge
- Our heavenly Father gives us good things