Our Lord came to heal
1 When he came down from the mountain great multitudes followed him. 2 And watch this, a leper came and worshipped him saying, Lord, if you will, you can make me clean. 3 And Jesus put out his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 4 And Jesus said to him, See that you tell no man; but go your way, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a testimony to them.
- Leprosy was incurable in those days except by an act of God.
- Showing himself to the priest testified to the priests that Jesus was the Son of God.
- Touching a leper was against the Mosaic Law. God’s people could touch no unclean thing.
- Leprosy eats away at the body until there is nothing left. Like sin eats away at our heart, soul, and life until there is nothing left.
- Jesus’ touch cleanses leprosy; Jesus heals physical leprosy and the sin of our hearts.
- His word cleanses hearts.
- Jesus said, I will.
- He only refused one request recorded in the New Testament. It was in Luke 12:13 when asked to force the dividing of the inheritance.
- John 15:3 Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
5 And when Jesus had entered into Capernaum, a centurion came to him, earnestly asking him 6 and saying, Lord, my servant lies at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented. 7 And Jesus said to him, I will come and heal him. 8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy for you to come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goes; and to another, Come, and he comes; and to my servant, Do this, and he does it. 10 When Jesus heard it, he marveled, and said to them that followed, Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel. 11 And I say to you, That many will come from the east and west, and will sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the children of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness: there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 13 And Jesus said to the centurion, Go your way; and as you have believed, so it is done to you. And his servant was healed in the very hour.
- Jesus marvels at great faith.
- The centurion understood the absolute authority of Jesus over all things.
- His title LORD means absolute control over all things in heaven and earth.
- If we want great faith we must know God’s word because it is His word that gives faith.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- 1Peter 2:24 Who his own self bore our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, would live unto righteousness: by whose wounds you were healed.
14 And when Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid sick with a fever. 15 And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them. 16 When the evening came, they brought to him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: 17 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying, He Himself took our infirmities, and bore our sicknesses.
- His mission was not just to heal the body, but to heal the whole person forever.
- His mission was to die for sin so that all might be brought back to God.
18 Now when Jesus saw great multitudes about him, he commanded to go to the other side. 19 And a certain scribe came, and said to him, Master, I will follow you wherever you go. 20 And Jesus said to him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head. 21 And another of his disciples said to him, Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father. 22 But Jesus said to him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
- If the spiritually dead do the burying then the spiritually alive can be about loving God and bringing salvation to those who will.
- This is simple efficiency. Put your time where it will do the most good, not the least.
- Giving meals to the elderly is a good work. How much more important is it to give out eternal life to whoever will?
All the universe obeys Him except fallen angels and man
23 And when he entered into a ship, his disciples followed him. 24 And watch this, there arose a great storm in the sea, so much that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. 25 And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. 26 And he said to them, Why are you full of fear, O you of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. 27 But the men were amazed, saying, What kind of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!
- The meaning of the word LORD is controller.
- He is so infinitely marvelous and wondrous that all creation obeys Him joyfully except man and fallen angels.
- Jesus as a man slept but the eternal Lord of all doesn’t sleep.
- Psalm 121:3-4 He will not allow your foot to be moved: he that keeps/guards you will not slumber. 4 Behold, he that keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
28 And when he came to the other side to the country of the Gergesenes, two men, possessed with devils, met him, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no man could pass by that way. 29 And watch this, they cried out, saying, What do we have to do with you, Jesus, you Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time? 30 And a good way off from them a herd of many swine was feeding. 31 So the devils begged him, saying, If you cast us out, allow us to go away into the herd of swine. 32 And he said to them, Go. And when they came out, they went into the herd of swine: and watch this, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters. 33 And they that kept them fled, and went their ways into the city, and told everything, and what had happened to those possessed of the devils. 34 And watch this, the whole city came out to meet Jesus: and when they saw him, they begged him to depart out of their coasts.
- Notice the blasphemy of their saying, Have you come to torment us.
- Creatures bring torment on themselves by rejecting their Maker.
- God made all things good and blessed.
- Following Him, obeying Him brings that good and blessing.
- God is not to be blamed for what man and fallen angels have done.
- Today the presence of unseen evil ones among us isn’t known or acknowledged by many.
- But it is a reality. Psychiatric hospitals are full of people possessed by evil spirits that Jesus could cast out with a word if the persons desired it.
- In Job the evil forces had to go to God to ask permission to attack Job.
- In casting out devils, Jesus was simply taking possession of what belongs to Him.
- God created all mankind in His image.
- No one has been more rejected than God.
- Acts 17:24-27 God that made the world and all things in it, since he is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, since he gives to all life, and breath, and all things; 26 And has made of one blood all nations of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27 That they might seek the Lord, if perhaps they might feel after him and find him, though he is not far from every one of us: 28 For in Him we live and move and have our being.
1 And he entered into a ship, and crossed over, and came into his own city. 2 And watch this, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said to the one sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; yours sins are forgiven you. 3 And watch this, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemes. 4 And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Why do you think evil in your hearts?
- I John 3:20 … God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.
5 Is it easier to say, Your sins are forgiven; or to say, Arise, and walk? 6 But so that you will know that the Son of man has power on earth to forgive sins, (he said to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house. 7 And he got up, and went to his house. 8.And when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.
- Only God can forgive sins, only God can heal.
- Every day of His ministry on earth, Jesus words and works shouted ‘I AM GOD.’
- He has been given all power.
- Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
The Lord includes everyone
9 And as Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man named Matthew, sitting at the tax collectors booth: and he said to him, Follow me. So he got up, and followed him. 10 And it came to pass, as Jesus was reclining in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to his disciples, Why does your Master eat with publicans and sinners? 12 But when Jesus heard that, he said to them, Those that are whole do not need a physician, but those that are sick.
- We spend fortunes on physicians.
- Health care is one of the biggest political issues on the agenda.
- All sickness has its origin in sin. It comes from a sick heart.
- Many illnesses are linked to stress.
- It isn’t God’s desire that we be sick, but that we spend our days in health and prosperity.
- Health and prosperity come from focusing on the One thing that really counts. God.
- He is the ultimate, absolute cure for sin and disease.
- He cured these New Testament people because of their faith in Him.
- Exodus 15:26 …I am the LORD that heals you.
13 But go and learn what that means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. 14 Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast? 15 And Jesus said to them, Can the children of the bride chamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come, when the bridegroom is taken from them, and they will fast.
- The Lord is the eternal bridegroom.
- Pride defends its own position; humility seeks God’s truth.
- Fasting has many benefits for the body. But that is not the purpose of fasting.
- Fasting was the stopping of normal activities for a period of time to draw near to God: ‘when the bridegroom is take from them, and then they will fast.’
- Psalm 36:5 Your mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and your faithfulness reaches unto the clouds.
- Matthew 22:2-3 The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king, who made a marriage for his son, 3 And sent out his servants to call those that were invited to the wedding.
- Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband; the LORD of hosts is his name
16 No man puts a piece of new cloth into an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up pulls from the garment, and the tear is made worse. 17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: or the bottles break, and the wine runs out, and the bottles are destroyed: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.
- The old garment that covered our sin was the atonement of the law and the new garment is Jesus Christ Himself.
- Trying to keep the law shows us our need to put on the new garment. We can’t do it by ourselves.
18 While he spoke these things to them, watch this, a certain ruler came and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is now dead: but come and lay your hand on her, and she will live. 19 And Jesus got up and followed him and so did his disciples. 20 And, watch this, a woman who was ill with an hemmorhage of blood twelve years, came behind him and touched the hem of his garment: 21 For she said within herself, If I can just touch his garment, I will be whole. 22 But Jesus turned around, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; your faith has made you whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour. 23 And when Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the flute players and the crowd wailing, 24 He said to them, Leave: for the maid is not dead, but sleeps. And scorned him with laughter. 25 But when the people were put out, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose.
- John 11:25 Jesus said… I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believes in me, though he were dead, he will live
The Lord’s fame has spread abroad
26 And the fame of it went abroad into all that land. 27 And when Jesus left there, two blind men followed him, crying out and saying, Son of David, have mercy on us. 28 And when he came into the house, the blind men came to him. And Jesus said to them, Do you believe that I am able to do this? They said to him, Yes, Lord. 29 Then he touched their eyes, saying, According to your faith it is done unto you. 30 And their eyes were opened; and Jesus sternly warned them, saying, Don’t let anyone know about this.
- Who could keep quiet? Imagine having been blind and then given sight, and trying to keep quiet about it.
- If your faith is weak, get more of God’s word in your heart.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.
31 But they, when they departed, spread the news about him throughout all that country. 32 As they went out, watch this, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil. 33 And when the devil was cast out, the dumb spoke: and the multitudes marveled, saying, Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel. 34 But the Pharisees said, He casts out devils through the prince of the devils. 35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 And when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then said he to his disciples, The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few; 38 So beg the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.
The Lord gave power to seek the lost
1 And when he had called his twelve disciples to him, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease. 2 Now the names of the twelve apostles are these: First, Simon, who is called Peter and Andrew his brother. Then, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother 3 Philip, and Bartholomew; Thomas, and Matthew the publican; James the son of Alphaeus, and Lebbaeus, whose surname was Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Canaanite, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him.
- ‘unclean spirits,’ are those not sanctified through faith in Jesus Christ’s full payment for their sins.
5 Jesus sent out these twelve and commanded them, saying, Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter into any city of the Samaritans: 6 But instead, go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, and cast out devils: freely you have received, freely give.
- He told us exactly what to say as we go out to people with His good news.
- We are nearer to Christ’s kingdom coming to earth now than ever before.
- Christ is so near to each person that the kingdom of heaven truly is at hand for each person because we just need to open the door of our heart.
- Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hears my voice, and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will feast with him, and he with me.
9 Do not provide gold or silver or copper in your money belts, 10 or scrip for your journey, or two coats or shoes or staffs: for the workman is worthy of his nourishment. 11 And into whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy; and stay there until you leave that place. 12 And when you come into a house, salute it. 13 And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And whoever does not receive you, or hear your words, when you depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. 15 Truthfully I say to you, It will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment, than for that city. 16 Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves: be therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. 17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues; 18 And you will be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
- Philippians 4:19 my God will supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- James 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
The Spirit of the Father promised to give them the right words to say when arrested
19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought about how or what you will speak: for it will be given to you in that same hour what you are to speak. 20 For it is not you that speaks, but the Spirit of your Father which speaks in you. 21 And brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father the child: and the children will rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death. 22 All men will hate you for my name's sake: but he that endures to the end will be saved. 23 And when they persecute you in this city, flee into another: for truly I say to you, You will not have gone over the cities of Israel, until the Son of man comes.
- This is a specific promise to those arrested and brought before kings and governors as a testimony, that God would speak through them.
- This isn’t a license for laziness to pastors to just say to what comes to mind rather than God’s word.
- Ezekiel 3:7 Speak to them with my words.
24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he is as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household? 26 Therefore do not fear them: for there is nothing covered, that will not be revealed; and hidden, that will not be known.
- Jesus is speaking of the plots and persecutions.
- He says all things will be revealed. It will be revealed who is right, who is wrong, and all the secret things done against his workers.
27 What I tell you in darkness speak that in the light: and what you hear in the ear preach that on the housetops. 28 And do not fear them that kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him that is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? And one of them does not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Therefore do not fear. You are of more value than many sparrows.
- ‘to the ground’ is literally’ to the lap’. All birds that die fall into the lap of the Father.
- He has placed the more value on us.
- Matthew 13:46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
- John 15:13 Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
32 Therefore whoever confesses me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies me before men, I will deny him before my Father who is in heaven. 34 Do not think that I have come to send peace on earth: I did not come to send peace, but a sword.
- The Lord came to send a sword through the earth that divides those who will be ruled by Him and those who refuse their Maker.
- The battle between good and evil rages even in families.
- “Christ came to send a sword through every peace that is not based on a personal relationship to Himself.” (Oswald Chambers)
- Evil continues to generate every religion and every act of good that is not God working through us.
- Psalm 2:1-2 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed.
35 For I came to set a man against his father, the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man's enemies will be those of his own household. 37 He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 And he that does not take his cross, and follows after me, is not worthy of me.
- The One who made us and has given us life deserves far more love than our earthly families, parents or children.
- Our parents are to be honored, (Exodus 20).
- Our children are to be loved, nurtured, and trained by us.
- But God who created us and loved us enough to die for us deserves the most of our love.
- God is so high and holy that it is magnificent honor to love Him and serve Him with all of our being. Anything else is truly not worthy.
- Revelation 2:4 I have somewhat against you, because you have left your first love.
- Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which has begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
39 He that finds his life will lose it: and he that loses his life for my sake will find it. 40 He that receives you receives me, and he that receives me receives him that sent me. 41 He that receives a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward; and he that receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward. 42 And whoever gives a cup of cold water to drink to one of these little ones, only in the name of a disciple, truly I say to you, he will in no way lose his reward.
- If we put self first, we lose life. God is always first, since He is life.
- His rewards are phenomenal.
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, except by me.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes I will grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
- 1Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.
SUMMARY: Matthew 8-10
- Our Lord came to heal
- All the universe obeys Him except fallen angels and man
- The Lord includes everyone
- The Lord’s fame has spread abroad
- The Lord gave power to seek the lost
- The Spirit of the Father promised to give them the right words to say when arrested