1 Israel stayed in Shittim and the people began to commit whoring with the daughters of Moab. 2 And they called the people to the sacrifices of their gods: and the people ate and bowed down to their gods. 3 Israel joined himself to Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD burned against Israel.
- What God provides is what satisfies.
- What evil provides can never satisfy for more than a moment, and with dire consequences.
- God’s anger is kindled against us when we join ourselves to false gods. God is life. To worship false gods is death.
- Psalm 96:5 All the gods of the nations are idols but the Lord made the heavens
- Exodus 20:14 You will not commit adultery.
- Hosea 4:11 Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
God judges idolatry drastically because it leads to eternal destruction
4 The LORD said to Moses, Take all the leaders of the people and hang them up before the LORD against the sun so that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel. 5 So Moses said to the judges of Israel, Every one kill his men that were joined to Baalpeor. 6 And behold, one of the children of Israel came bringing a Midianite woman to his brothers in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation. 7 When Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he got up from among the congregation and took a javelin in his hand; 8 He went after the man of Israel into the tent and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman, through her belly. So the plague was stopped from the children of Israel. 9 24,000 died in the plague.
- A murderer steals this earthly life from a person.
- An idolater lead his children and those around him to eternal destruction.
- God’s anger is turned away when the offenders are removed from this life.
God is jealous
10 And the LORD spoke to Moses saying, 11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, has turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous with my zeal among them, that I not consume the children of Israel in my jealousy. 12 Therefore say, Behold, I give to him my covenant of peace. 13 He will have it, and his seed after him, the covenant of an everlasting priesthood because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel. 14 Now the name of the Israelite that was killed with the Midianite woman was Zimri, the son of Salu, a prince of a chief house among the Simeonites. 15 And the name of the Midianite woman that was killed was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur. He was leader over a people, and of a chief house in Midian.
- God is jealous.
- This statement “I am a jealous God” is found seven times in scripture.
- God alone deserves our first and best love because He made us, sustains us, and sent His Son to for our sins.
- Exodus 20:5-6 You will not bow down yourself to them or serve them: for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; 6 And showing mercy to thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
16 And the LORD spoke to Moses saying, 17 Afflict the Midianites, strike them: 18 For they afflicted you with their deceit, with which they have beguiled you in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, who was killed in the day of the plague for Peor's sake.
- The Midianites caused the deaths of 24,000 Israelites by sending their beautiful women into the camp of Israel to seduce the men and lead them to worshipping their gods.
- Balaam is killed with Midian in Numbers 31:8.
- Balaam suggested this seduction into idolatry (Revelation 2:14).
- Proverbs 10:27 Fear of theLORD prolongs days: the years of the wicked will be shortened.
1 And it came to pass after the plague, that the LORD spoke to Moses and to Eleazar the son of Aaron the priest saying, 2 Take the census of all the congregation of the children of Israel, from twenty years old and up, throughout their fathers' house, all that are able to go to war in Israel. 3 So Moses and Eleazar the priest spoke with them in the plains of Moab by Jordan near Jericho saying, 4 Take the census of the people, from twenty years old and up; as the LORD commanded Moses and the children of Israel that went forth out of the land of Egypt.
- After the plague that God sent because of the Israelites whoring and idolatry with the Midianites, God told Moses to count the men left able to go to war.
5 Reuben, the oldest son of Israel: the children of Reuben; Hanoch, of whom comes the family of the Hanochites: of Pallu, the family of the Palluites: 6 Of Hezron, the family of the Hezronites: of Carmi, the family of the Carmites. 7 These are the families of the Reubenites: and they that were numbered of them were 43,730. 8 And the sons of Pallu; Eliab. 9 And the sons of Eliab; Nemuel, Dathan, and Abiram. This is that Dathan and Abiram, who were famous in the congregation, who fought against Moses and against Aaron in the company of Korah, when they fought against the LORD: 10 And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah, when that company died, when the fire devoured 250 men: and they became a sign.
- Numbers 16:30 But if the LORD makes a new thing, and the earth opens her mouth and swallow them up, with all that pertains to them, and they go down alive into the pit; then you will understand that these men have provoked the LORD.
11 However, the children of Korah did not die. 12 The sons of Simeon after their families: of Nemuel, the family of the Nemuelites: of Jamin, the family of the Jaminites: of Jachin, the family of the Jachinites: 13 Of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites: of Shaul, the family of the Shaulites. 14 These are the families of the Simeonites, 22,200. 15 The children of Gad after their families: of Zephon, the family of the Zephonites: of Haggi, the family of the Haggites: of Shuni, the family of the Shunites: 16 Of Ozni, the family of the Oznites: of Eri, the family of the Erites: 17 Of Arod, the family of the Arodites: of Areli, the family of the Arelites. 18 These are the families of the children of Gad according to those that were numbered of them, 40,500. 19 The sons of Judah were Er and Onan: and Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
- Genesis 38:7 And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD killed him. 10 And the thing that he did displeased the LORD: therefore he killed him also.
20 And the sons of Judah after their families were; of Shelah, the family of the Shelanites: of Pharez, the family of the Pharzites: of Zerah, the family of the Zarhites. 21 And the sons of Pharez were; of Hezron, the family of the Hezronites: of Hamul, the family of the Hamulites. 22 These are the families of Judah according to those that were numbered of them, 76,500. 23 Of the sons of Issachar after their families: of Tola, the family of the Tolaites: of Pua, the family of the Punites: 24 Of Jashub, the family of the Jashubites: of Shimron, the family of the Shimronites. 25 These are the families of Issachar according to those that were numbered of them, 64,300. 26 Of the sons of Zebulun after their families: of Sered, the family of the Sardites: of Elon, the family of the Elonites: of Jahleel, the family of the Jahleelites. 27 These are the families of the Zebulunites according to those that were numbered of them, 60,500. 28 The sons of Joseph after their families were Manasseh and Ephraim. 29 Of the sons of Manasseh: of Machir, the family of the Machirites: and Machir begat Gilead: of Gilead come the family of the Gileadites. 30 These are the sons of Gilead: of Jeezer, the family of the Jeezerites: of Helek, the family of the Helekites: 31 And of Asriel, the family of the Asrielites: and of Shechem, the family of the Shechemites: 32 And of Shemida, the family of the Shemidaites: and of Hepher, the family of the Hepherites. 33 Zelophehad the son of Hepher had no sons, but daughters: and the names of the daughters of Zelophehad were Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. 34 These are the families of Manasseh, and those that were numbered of them, 52.700.
- God created all of these people in His own image and loved them so much that He would send His own Son to die for their sins so that they might be with Him forever.
35 These are the sons of Ephraim after their families: of Shuthelah, the family of the Shuthalhites: of Becher, the family of the Bachrites: of Tahan, the family of the Tahanites. 36 And these are the sons of Shuthelah: of Eran, the family of the Eranites. 37 These are the families of the sons of Ephraim according to those that were numbered of them, 32,500. These are the sons of Joseph after their families. 38 The sons of Benjamin after their families: of Bela, the family of the Belaites: of Ashbel, the family of the Ashbelites: of Ahiram, the family of the Ahiramites: 39 Of Shupham, the family of the Shuphamites: of Hupham, the family of the Huphamites. 40 And the sons of Bela were Ard and Naaman: of Ard, the family of the Ardites: and of Naaman, the family of the Naamites. 41 These are the sons of Benjamin after their families: and they that were numbered of them were 45,600. 42 These are the sons of Dan after their families: of Shuham, the family of the Shuhamites. These are the families of Dan after their families. 43 All the families of the Shuhamites, according to those that were numbered of them, were 64,400. 44 Of the children of Asher after their families: of Jimna, the family of the Jimnites: of Jesui, the family of the Jesuites: of Beriah, the family of the Beriites. 45 Of the sons of Beriah: of Heber, the family of the Heberites: of Malchiel, the family of the Malchielites. 46 And the name of the daughter of Asher was Sarah. 47 These are the families of the sons of Asher according to those that were numbered of them; who were 53,400. 48 Of the sons of Naphtali after their families: of Jahzeel, the family of the Jahzeelites: of Guni, the family of the Gunites: 49 Of Jezer, the family of the Jezerites: of Shillem, the family of the Shillemites. 50 These are the families of Naphtali according to their families: and they that were numbered of them were 45,400. 51 These were the numbered of the children of Israel, 601,730.
- The number of the children of Israel was 600,000 of fighting age when first numbered after leaving Egypt. This second census was 40 years later.
52.And the LORD spoke to Moses saying, 53 Unto these the land will be divided for an inheritance according to the number of names. 54 To many you will give more inheritance, and to few you will give less inheritance: to every one his inheritance will be given according to those that were numbered of him. 55 The land will be divided by lot. They will inherit according to the names of the tribes of their fathers.
- These instructions set the peoples mind back on God’s plan and purpose for them.
- He divided the Promised Land between the able fighting men.
- He gave more land to those who had more children and less to those that had less.
- The lot was like drawing names.
- By this method, God told them who received what portion.
- God knows all things and loves us best.
- He knew their likes and dislikes, abilities and aptitudes—not just for that generation but all the eternal generations to come.
- Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing of it is of the LORD.
56 According to the lot the possession of it will be divided between many and few. 57 And these are those that were numbered of the Levites by their families: of Gershon, the family of the Gershonites: of Kohath, the family of the Kohathites: of Merari, the family of the Merarites. 58 These are the families of the Levites: the family of the Libnites, the family of the Hebronites, the family of the Mahlites, the family of the Mushites, the family of the Korathites. Kohath begat Amram. 59 And the name of Amram's wife was Jochebed, the daughter of Levi, whom her mother bore to Levi in Egypt: she bore to Amram Aaron, Moses, and their sister Miriam. 60 And to Aaron was born Nadab, Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar. 61 Nadab and Abihu died, when they offered strange fire before the LORD. 62 And those that were numbered of them were 23,000, all males from a month old and upward: they were not numbered among the children of Israel because there was no inheritance given them among the children of Israel.
- God was the inheritance of His priests.
- They were given homes in the cities and villages of God’s people and their living was the tithes and offerings, the gifts that people brought to God.
- This enabled them to focus on the Lord and His work rather than on making a living from the land.
- God reminds us through Nadab and Abihu to always do things His way, not our way. God’s eternal inheritance for us is beyond imagining.
- Deuteronomy 18:2 Therefore will they have no inheritance among their brothers: the LORD is their inheritance, as he has said to them.
- Psalm 16:11 You will show me the path of life: in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
- Revelation 3:21 To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
63 These are those that were numbered by Moses and Eleazar the priest, who numbered the children of Israel in the plains of Moab by Jordan near Jericho. 64 But among these there was not a man of them whom Moses and Aaron the priest numbered when they numbered the children of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai. 65 Forthe LORD had said of them, They will definitely die in the wilderness. And there was not left a man of them, except Caleb the son of Jephunneh, and Joshua the son of Nun.
- Unbelief does not enter the Promised Land.
- Just as Adam and Eve were cast from Eden for not believing God’s word about the forbidden tree, so those who do not learn and believe God’s word did not enter their land God has promised. Unbelief keeps us from the great things God has for us.
- I John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
1 Then came the daughters of Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, of the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph: and these are the names of his daughters; Mahlah, Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah. 2 And they stood before Moses, before Eleazar the priest, before the princes, and all the congregation, by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation saying, 3 Our father died in the wilderness; he was not in the company of those that gathered themselves together against the LORD in the company of Korah; but died in his own sin, and had no sons. 4 Why should the name of our father be done away from among his family, because he has no son? Therefore give us a possession among the brothers of our father.
- They wanted their father to be remembered and have an inheritance in the eternal nation of Israel.
- Whenever the wilderness is mentioned it reminds us of the hard things that happen when we fail to believe God.
- He reminds us to respect His authority. He reminds us that sins kill but God gives eternal life.
- John 10:28 And I give to them eternal life; and they will never perish, neither will any man pluck them out of my hand.
God’s decisions are always right and fair
5 So Moses brought their cause before the LORD. 6.And the LORD spoke to Moses saying, 7 The daughters of Zelophehad speak rightly: you will definitely give them a possession of an inheritance among their father's brothers; and you will cause the inheritance of their father to pass to them. 8 And you will speak to the children of Israel saying, If a man dies, and has no son, then you are to cause his inheritance to pass to his daughter. 9 And if he has no daughter, then you are to give his inheritance to his brother. 10 And if he has no brothers, then give his inheritance to his father's brothers. 11 And if his father has no brothers, then give his inheritance to his nearest relative in his family, and he will possess it: this will be a statute of judgment to the children of Israel, as the LORD commanded Moses.
- Moses took this matter higher than the Supreme Court, higher than any court anywhere.
- No paper work, no lengthy wait was necessary to be heard.
- God’s decisions are right and fair. He allowed women to inherit property and pass it on to their sons.
12 Then the LORD said to Moses, Get up to mount Abarim and see the land that I have given to the children of Israel. 13 When you have seen it, you will be gathered to your people, as Aaron your brother was gathered. 14 For you rebelled against my commandment in the desert of Zin, in the strife of the congregation, to sanctify me at the water before their eyes: that is the water of Meribah in Kadesh in the wilderness of Zin.
- God made each person in His likeness.
- Our lives are about God.
- He is life.
- Moses became upset and made it about himself.
- Must ‘we’ fetch you water out of this rock? (Numbers 10:20)
- God will be sanctified.
- He is strict about rebellion in his leaders.
- Servants of God, are to lead people to God not gather large followings to themselves.
- God gives us an infinite inheritance.
- Deuteronomy 30:20 That you may love the LORD your God, and that you may obey his voice, and that you may cleave unto him: for he is your life, and the length of your days:
- Revelation 21:7 He that overcomes will inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he will be my son.
15 And Moses spoke to the LORD saying, 16 Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation, 17 Give them someone who will lead them into battle, so the people of the LORD will not be like sheep without a shepherd.
- He is the LORD, the self-existent controller of all things, the God of the spirits of all flesh.
18 And the LORD said to Moses, Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, lay your hand on him; 19 Set him before Eleazar the priest, before all of the congregation, and give him a charge in their sight. 20 And put some of your honor on him so that all the congregation of the children of Israel will be obedient. 21 He will stand before Eleazar the priest, who will ask counsel for him by the judgment of Urim before the LORD: at his word they are to go out, and at his word they are to come in, both he, and all the children of Israel with him, all the congregation.
- Going out was a phrase that meant going to war.
- The breastplate of the high priest had stones on it for each of the tribes of Israel.
- God answered specific questions by lighting up a particular stone.
- Moses replacement would ask God’s counsel regarding all activity of the children of Israel.
22 And Moses did as the LORD commanded him: he took Joshua, set him before Eleazar the priest, before all the congregation: 23 He laid his hands on him, and gave him a charge, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses.
SUMMARY: Numbers 25-27
- The LORD judges idolatry because it leads to eternal destruction
- He is jealous
- He keeps impeccable records
- He is always fair and right
- He is the God of the spirits of all flesh